Falling to the Level of Your Training

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When the chips are down, what do you think is the most important element in your survival: 1) Your training, 2) Your conditioning, 3) Your mindset, 4) Something else?

I separated training from conditioning for a reason. By training, I mean the skill-set that you have developed from your instructor, i.e., the techniques of your system whatever they may be. By conditioning, I am referring to being in shape in order to avoid respiratory or muscular fatigue. By mindset, I am referring to those qualities such as courage, rage, confidence, willingness, heart, etc.

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
"i saw lots of guys earn medals just by going ape **** and somehow not dieing."

--Chopper, a very grizzled, very drunk vietnam vet from my hometown.

i'm going to go with mindset.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mindset, definitely. Too many people give up control before the altercation even begins, to the attacker; after that, nothing else matters, because the fight is over.

kenpofighter

Green Belt
Reaction score
I don't care what the situation is if your mindset is not right you will never accomplish your goal. If you think you won't win before you get there you won't.

JTKenpo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Without a doubt Mindset. "watch out I've got a blackbelt in CRAZY" can go along way. We are all told that our mental focus has alot to do with our training, so the discipline to condition yourself, get to class and better your skill set, take the beating and not be afraid to give it back all comes from your mindset.

OP
Danjo

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think that mindset is the most important also. You're either a fighter or you're not. That's in the mind. The rest are merely the tools that you need to be a successful fighter. People have seen many clips on youtube where one medium sized guy was able to fight off multiple attackers using basic boxing moves, so the style you use is not the most important. Conditioning is a must because if you're gasping for air after a short time, you might not have the ability to deliver your techniques. Then again, many fights are over long before you would get out of breath (I'm not talking about sparring or a contest match like MMA, wrestling or boxing). So which of the other two are most important is hard for me to say.

Fiendlover

Black Belt
Reaction score
When the chips are down, what do you think is the most important element in your survival: 1) Your training, 2) Your conditioning, 3) Your mindset, 4) Something else?

I separated training from conditioning for a reason. By training, I mean the skill-set that you have developed from your instructor, i.e., the techniques of your system whatever they may be. By conditioning, I am referring to being in shape in order to avoid respiratory or muscular fatigue. By mindset, I am referring to those qualities such as courage, rage, confidence, willingness, heart, etc.

If I were to put them in an order it would be like this:

1. Mindset
I put mindest first because you can be the strongest or fastest man in the world with every technique down to perfection but if you are scared out of your mind when the time comes to use them then you are worthless. If you have heart in anything it's amazing what can be accomplished out of nothing. It can also allow you to be pushed passed your limits and into the unknown and discovering something about yourself.

2. Training
Training I put second because it's what separates you between the big dumb brutes who talk the talk and look like they can walk the walk. You can be up against the biggest, strongest, fastest man in the world but you need to understand that those are the guys that don't always win. Most of the time it's the smartest. With your techniques down and keep being smart with and how and when to execute them, you'll be the last one standing.

3. Conditioning
Conditioning I put third but, by no means, do I think it's not important. It is very important. Your perfectly conditioned body could allow you to take someone who's executing great and well rehersed techniques but aren't using them in smart ways could allow you to become the victor. Or maybe they are succeeding in trying to take you down so you decide to run and your well developed body allows you to outrun your opponnt.

Every one of these are essential to survival and trying to decipher which ones are more important is extremely difficult. It was hard for me to put them in this order and at times I may question myself. Some of you may agree with me and others may not but that is for you to decided.

"To each his own." :uhyeah:

Pacificshore

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Ditto on mindset.....your willingness to survive a physical confrontation, and I don't think you necessarily have to be a "fighter" per say, as in a trained fighter.....just have a strong mind to know that you will/want to survive. Not every person that has ever been attacked or will be attacked are trained fighers or even martial artists. Just my 2 cents!

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The mindset is #1.

It is what determines one's willingness to put up a fight, and to do whatever it takes to prevail. Mindset is the difference between a victim and a fighter.

Fei Ze Min

White Belt
Reaction score
Definately mindset. The brain controls everything else so if the mindset lacks so does everything else. Everything else is the result of proper mindset.

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think that mindset is the most important also. You're either a fighter or you're not. That's in the mind. The rest are merely the tools that you need to be a successful fighter. People have seen many clips on youtube where one medium sized guy was able to fight off multiple attackers using basic boxing moves, so the style you use is not the most important. Conditioning is a must because if you're gasping for air after a short time, you might not have the ability to deliver your techniques. Then again, many fights are over long before you would get out of breath (I'm not talking about sparring or a contest match like MMA, wrestling or boxing). So which of the other two are most important is hard for me to say.

mindset then training...however, training should include developing the necessary mindset.

respectfully,
Marlon

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
mindset then training...however, training should include developing the necessary mindset.

respectfully,
Marlon

Thanks. You clarified my thoughts for me. I put training 3rd because I feel that mindset and conditioning are important, and that "other training" would be less important. What I should have said, like your statement, is that proper training includes developing the necessary mindset and conditioning.

Hyper_Shadow

Green Belt
Reaction score
I choose number 4

Luck is THE factor to EVERY combat situation. You can have all the training in the world and have the mindset skills and physical conditioning of a God. Then you get caught up in a bar room brawl, you take down ten guys then turn round and *.- you walk into a punch right on the chin. In that instant you've lost everything. All because of a lucky punch.

OP
Danjo

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I choose number 4

Luck is THE factor to EVERY combat situation. You can have all the training in the world and have the mindset skills and physical conditioning of a God. Then you get caught up in a bar room brawl, you take down ten guys then turn round and *.- you walk into a punch right on the chin. In that instant you've lost everything. All because of a lucky punch.

So, then you're saying we should all just start carrying rabbit's feet around?

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
So many have already made the case, I won't repeat it.

But an anecdote to show where I really learned it: A GM I trained with for several years would say this all the time: You have to go into every fight believing you're going to win. Looking back at a couple of scraps I lost along the way, I can now see a clear lack of this winning mindset. :cool:

Latest Discussions