Factors the determine the winner in sparring

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
What factors in your opinion determin the winner in a TKD sparring match?

My list in order would be:
1) Athleticism: a) speed b) flexibility (resulting in no limitations of the kick that it performed)
2) Knowledge: being able to read an opponent, see openings and see threats, and knowing what works in the situation
3) Technique (being able to kick well against a stationary pad for instance).

What are your thoughts?

Thousand Kicks

Green Belt
Reaction score
Since we're talking specifically TKD sparring. Here is my list

1. Endurance. All the athleticism and skill in the world mean nothing if you can't sustain it to the end of the match

2. Atleticism. Speed, agility and strength can make up the difference in skill. They can also be used to overwhelm an opponent

3. Experience/Strategy. I guess you could sum this up better by saying "Fighting IQ" The more you see and experience the better equipped you are to handle different situations.

4. Toughness. Both mental and physical.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
1. fight smart. If you are not athletic, for example, then adapt your sparring to suit. If you lack flexibility, then adapt your sparring to suit. With sparring, one size does not fit all and what works for one student may not work for another. With experience people learn to fight smart. One of the best Ive sparred is a fifth dan I train with, he is overweight, no flexibility, and lacks athleticism but has adapted and uses his strengths. This comes with time and experience and is why a more experienced student should win.

OP
G

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Since we're talking specifically TKD sparring. Here is my list

1. Endurance. All the athleticism and skill in the world mean nothing if you can't sustain it to the end of the match

2. Atleticism. Speed, agility and strength can make up the difference in skill. They can also be used to overwhelm an opponent

3. Experience/Strategy. I guess you could sum this up better by saying "Fighting IQ" The more you see and experience the better equipped you are to handle different situations.

4. Toughness. Both mental and physical.

I forgot endurance - I agree with you on that being #1.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
For mma. (I know this is tkd focused but still) conditioning is the decider for most amateur fights. First fight you are pretty much done in within 30 seconds.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score

1) Athleticism: a) speed b) flexibility (resulting in no limitations of the kick that it performed)
2) Knowledge: being able to read an opponent, see openings and see threats, and knowing what works in the situation

What are your thoughts?

If 2 out of 3 factors are equal whoever excels at te third factor wins.

Using your definitions:

Knowledge (Strategy, reading oponent)
Technique (Though it's difficult to completely seperate from athleticism)
Athleticism

IMNSHO to an ec\xtent, greater knowledge can overcome athleticism more easily than athleticism can overcome greater knowledge. "Age and experience will overcome youth and Skill".

OP
G

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Earl. I wasn't trying to define the factors, although I did list my own thoughts. Anyone, feel free to list factors as you see fit, not necessary limited to the 3 I had written.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This will not seem to be the answer but think about it.

Politics: what school you belong to and who your instructor is.
Who is giving the tournament and if your his student.
Have the refs seen you or the other opponent before

after that skill and speed and accuracy

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

What are your thoughts?
I reject your premise. Sparring isn't about winning or losing, it is about learning. If you are trying to win something, you have already lost out on the lesson.
Sean

OP
G

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I reject your premise. Sparring isn't about winning or losing, it is about learning. If you are trying to win something, you have already lost out on the lesson.
Sean
I'll rephrase it to "in a tournament match, what factors lead one person to score more points than the other?".

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I will add to the above factors "Speed"

Speed can manifest itself in mant ways.

1. Speed of the technique at impact. - How fast is the foot or hand moving.
2. Elapsed time - Shortest time fom initiation of motion to contact. A long preparation or windup may result in impact speed being faster but longer elapsed time.
3. Percieved speed. - This has a lot to do without tlegraphing the technique. 1 amd 2 can be very fast but if you somehow shift or move allowing your opponent to anticipate this lengthens the time for perception and #4.
4. Reaction Speed. How long does it take for you to recognize the stimulus and complete your physical reaction. The reaction can be scroing on an opening you create or percieve, as well as a block or avoidance of an attack.

Thousand Kicks

Green Belt
Reaction score
Sean

In my 20 plus years of training, I've never met anyone who truly does not care about winning. I do believe that while sparring you need to concentrate on doing the right things instead of worrying about winning. However, the reason you pratice and try to master all the details is to ultimately be a good fighter...the winner. Especially in tournament situations. All great fighters will openly admit they want to be the champ, the best, to win.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
those are important factors, that and endurance, control, and variety in moves
if you get tired quick then its going to be hard if the other person is still going all out(especially if there 30 or more seconds left) control is important too because if your just all over the place throwing techniques out that could lead to a quick defeat. and variety in moves is important so you can keep your opponent on there guard

Latest Discussions