Extra Charges @ Your School?

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What other fee's does your school charge bsides the usual tuition and belt fee's?
If you have a tournament team, does your school charge more to be on that team?
Does your school have a "basic" class and charge a price for that but for those who want more in depth training, do they charge those people more?
If your school offers different arts, do you have to pay additional money to go to those classes?

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
AceHBK said:
What other fee's does your school charge bsides the usual tuition and belt fee's?
Does your school have a "basic" class and charge a price for that but for those who want more in depth training, do they charge those people more?
If your school offers different arts, do you have to pay additional money to go to those classes?

We charge for sparring gear, but there no other costs other than the entry fees for the competitor. Fees for coaching and such are obsorbed.

We initally didn't charge for weapons training, but that's changed. Originally students were offered the additional training at no charge, but people were eratic in their attendance, and to get students to commit, he redefined it as he's teaching a completly different art (Kumdo) and treats it as such. So, theoretically, no, he's not. Realistically, yes, he is. Different art, different deal. People are not as inclined to miss something they've payed for. It's fairly new, so we'll see how that pans out. Thus far, attendance is lower but has been considerably more consistent.

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
only charge we ever got was if we broke something.... Other than that I can't remember any fee's or anything outside our monthly tuition.

fireman00

Brown Belt
Reaction score
There are several specialty classes; keeping children safe, CPR, 1st aid and similar type classes that cost around $35.

Other then belt tests, monthly class fees - we would pay for : 1.) any fees for competitions, 2.) sparring gear, and 3.) school merchandise like shirts, hats and jackets. But we are not required to buy anything from the school.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We have a base tuition rate for the different arts.
There is an extra fee for ranking and special events. We do not include this in the base fee since many students often do not attend the extra events or in some cases aren't intending to rank test.
The fees are reasonable and are disclosed up front before students become a member of the school.
We include some free events also such as a school picnic and some special classes.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
belt/graduation 60-70 bucks
weapons (at least 2-3 times more than any other shop)
(once every 2 months. Optional: you only have to buy if you want to attend seminar)
plus regular weapons (straight sword, broadsword, double short staffs) for 300 bucks

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
hmmm ok I figured that most of this stuff was normal as to what you all have posted.

ok I have a issue and maybe some different perspectives on this can help me sort out somethings.

A particular school does teach specifically one thing but rather several MA (I dont know why they just dont call themselves a MMA school but whatever)

1) Now, they have of course tuition which to me is kinda high with all the schools here but ok. No sparring is allowed and basics are really taught.

2) They also though have a "club" for those students who are more serious. More in depth training, sparring is allowed and all. To be in this "club" of course your monthly tuition is higher.

Does this kinda of rub you the wrong way? *cough* McDojo *cough*

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i see this as the opposite. they only want to keep the dedicated students, or those who are serious about it. so they're separating the serious ones from the less serious students.
what sucks is this separation is done by tuition levels.
reminds me of "Machiavelli" more than "McDojo".. but yeah, i see your point

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
AceHBK said:

I can't say I agree with you here. The instructor charges for his time. If he increases the amount of time he's putting into you, why shouldn't he charge more? How many other services do you pay for that don't raise the rate commensurate with the service being provided? Why should he be any different?

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok...I am seeing this now from the business standpoint.

One question I raise is that, yes some students are more serious than others but why seperate them? Sometimes (especially kids) they need to be around people who are more serious to sometimes light a fire under them. If they dont seem that serious why not tell them "this isnt the place for you" if you cant try to find ways to motivate them? You now move into the realm of seperate and not equal and a large increase money wise is what does it.

Also what about the parents of kids who can't afford to put their child in a particular "club". I mean calling it a "club" is marketing b/c no kid or person that is wants to be excluded and feel like they are on the outside looking in. So you may have some parent swho cant afford the significant price jump but do it anyways in hopes of their child fitting in.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We don't have a separate youth club and if we did, there are not too many that are over ten. I think it would be good to give them an identity, to the ones who feel left out of everything else in school. If you aren't in sports in high school or any of the nerdy organizations what is there? I didn't used to like the idea of Xtreme promotional stuff by Century but if it keeps teens interested and builds them up, why not?

As far as other charges, we have tournaments entry fees $35 for our tournaments and less for first timers $25. Its really great to have an "in-school tournament" to give them familiarity and experience first.

We charge for pine boards for practicing and water bottles. Then there is all the equipment that they need. It is good to get a web page for the students to order off of--then you don't have to worry about collection as they can use credit cards. The parents can order right off off Century and ship from there--it is linked from your website. Our master got an introductory deal 10% off for a few months. But it is still expensive going through Century. Some have their own website and ship there own. I just ordered off of Amazon linked to another supplier, but Amazon handles payment so that is an alternative.

Then there is the consideration of when they test for black belt. The charges for the test should include a Kukkiwon certification. Its nice to have dojang certs for colored ranks as they test too.

A weapons class was tried. It was taught by a new black belt (the owners son) who barely knew anything yet taught three weapons. :rolleyes: It didn't work. But part of the reason was that it was pay as you go. TW

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
AceHBK said:
2) They also though have a "club" for those students who are more serious. More in depth training, sparring is allowed and all. To be in this "club" of course your monthly tuition is higher.

We have black belt club at our school. It's extra tuition, but it also extra time and covers material that we don't get in to as part of the regular Kenpo curriculum. Sometimes its weapon, other times it's something that mates to Kenpo, such as BJJ.

Sparring is part of the regular class though.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Having an extra club is very common.

From time to time we have a student that can't afford the extras but they really want to learn and train. I never have a problem with some other arrangement such as them helping out in class, of helping with cleaning, etc... in place of the extra payments. They can work off what they owe and still train that way.

Most school owners that i know work very hard but make very little money vs. their effort. Students that can afford more or are willing to work more are able to do more in the school. If the owner is flexible with these arangements, this seems fair to me.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
we have a fairly high regular rate (125 to start, 150 for training above green belt), so the only additional charge is testing fees. we do have some additional programs (instructor training, events like tournaments, training gear, manuals) that cost extra but they're all optional.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
AceHBK said:

Good question. In one school I attended (briefly), the others cost more than the monthly tuition. Cash cow for owner, because an active student and competitor would spend nearly $1500.00 (1986 figures) per year. I left.

A better school I attended later, balanced the two better and did not try to get every single dollar from each student.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, In our schools, there is only a monthly fees, belt testing fees..(all those testing for Black belts and up is free).

There is a tournment fee...in house only, twice a year.

Everyone is encourage to get there own equipment..can order on your own or the Instructor can order for you.

No other fees are charge, no late charges. Any special training, usually for Instructors only..no fees.

I have been in schools that do not charge for anything. The Sensi only wanted to teach and not be bother with collections. Classes were free. ....Aloha

PS: We do have an annual Seminar in Las Vegas...for blue belts and up..the cost for the Seminar runs about $275.00. Not including rooms and air fares. (Run by Professor and his top students...in house only). Once a year event.

JamesYazell

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
1 monthly price for everything. 3 classes a week, plus private classes, no belt fees. All you do is buy your own gear.

Its the theory of we pay for the belt with blood and sweat!

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
JamesYazell said:
1 monthly price for everything. 3 classes a week, plus private classes, no belt fees. All you do is buy your own gear.

Nice. That's EXACTLY how our school runs too. :)

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
JamesYazell said:

As it should be.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JamesYazell

my thought exactly

Latest Discussions