Expert on Sword Martial Arts

Tanaka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Amazingly there is a video on youtube. This man isn't legitimately trained in any martial art(unless backyard/youtube videos count), but is somehow an expert. In which his expertise allow him to criticize legitimate JMA.
[yt]ht42S68IGEo[/yt]

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That was stupid and funny all at the same time.
Whatever.

OP
Tanaka

Tanaka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
That was stupid and funny all at the same time.
Whatever.

I figured this video would give someone a good laughter.
All of it mostly stemmed from him being told he needed to find a legitimate teacher. Since he has none.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wish we could put all these so called experts who have never studied, with made up certs, into an open field and let them beat the hell out of each other.
If this clown dose not care what people on the internet think why the heck is he posting on it

OP
Tanaka

Tanaka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Well now this guy is telling me that he did some "Japanese sword Kata" in this video.

[yt]MGgYCLNeumw[/yt]

Can anyone point it out to me? Because quite frankly I can't see it.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well there are only so many ways to swing a sword, so he may have done something traditional, but i did not see anything from any of the school i am aware of.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm so glad he decided to wear a ninja mask too, because that instantly helps his credibility.

On a seperate note, I was wondering if there are any legitimate sword manuevers that utilize a reverse grip like that. Would that allow for any effective cut at all?

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There are some, but not done the way it's being done here. Togakure Ryu Biken utilises a "reverse grip", and I've seen it in a few Koryu such as Yagyu Shingan Ryu, and applied with a Kodachi in a removed line of Yagyu Shinkage Ryu. For a long sword, it's just impractical and ineffective.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ah, I've seen very few short sword techniques. How does one effectively cut with a reverse grip though? Doesn't holding it that way make it harder to slash? Is it meant mostly as a parrying or thrusting technique?

Last edited:

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's not about cutting, when it comes down to it, thrusting is far more common with such a grip. The big thematic concept, though, is distancing.

Latest Discussions