Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Dumb F**** like that are why people shouldnt be allowed to film the police. Laughing over the police killing a person.

As for the shoot I dont know looked ok to me but Im bias.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dumb F**** like that are why people shouldnt be allowed to film the police. Laughing over the police killing a person.

As for the shoot I dont know looked ok to me but Im bias.

This is the other side of the people videoing the atrocities in Iran, Libya etc. It's a thin line between civil rights in videoing something in the public interest and videoing as rubber necking. I hate rubberneckers at accidents, incidents etc, I don't know whether the shoot was ok or not, outside my experience but someone has died and life shouldn't be so cheap, even that of a criminal, that people can treat it as entertainment.

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hard to say. Though a few things stand out to me.

Could he have let the dog loose?

How wise is it to try to shot with one hand while trying to control a dog?

The second volley seems excessive, although it looks like he missed with the first volley, see point above.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
As a K9 handler you train shooting while holding your dog. At least I did and hope all handlers do. Fact is cops miss regardless I think last study I saw was 33% hit rate in an actual officer involved shooting. As for letting the dog go it depends on the dog. Some dogs are more bark then bite and are just for show to scare people. California has alot of dogs trained in the bark and hold not to bite they basically just bark and look mean. Also depending on other factors like clothing intoxication level ect the dog may not work and only get get hurt. Im more shocked they allowed all the onlookers in that situation

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This looks like a good shoot to me (the putting down of the bad guy). It seems that they gave him every opportunity to surrender, and even tried the Taser.

As far as I can see, it looked like reasonable use of deadly force. It is unfortunate that the man choose to continue to swing a lead pipe at a police officer.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Looked ok to me. And yes, the 2 jackasses filming were just plain stupid. The good thing, is that they attempted to use a less lethal device, and it failed. Perhaps he could've let the dog go, but something tells me that they probably would've ended up shooting him anyways. As for the number of shots...yeah, it may seem excessive, but I'd imagine that they're trained to continue until the threat no longer is present.

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
From Ballen's explanation, seems reasonable. I know adrenaline dump and all, but to appear to miss 5 times at that range. The only sanction I'd impose on that cop is more high pressure range time.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Looks to me like They tased him, he blew that off, then turned on the cop behind him with the weapon in his hand... I'd say the shooting was more than a reasonable demonstration of self defense.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That "pipe" or whatever it was could easily do serious harm to someone it was hit. This looks like a clean shooting. The number of shots were reasonable; I'm actually somewhat surprised the guns weren't emptied. It's quite common for officer involved shootings to do that...

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Oh please, he should have been able to hold on to the pooch, grab a donut and fire a single shot to the scumbag's hand to have him drop the pipe. :boing2:

I mean, don't they do it on TV all the time? :idunno:

Clean shoot.

PatMunk

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The shoot looked good to me the officers did what they had to do to protect themselves and others.

Anyone who will attack like that when there are one or more guns pointed at them ... is really stupid or attempting suicide by cop or both.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'll go along with it being a righteous shoot, (technically) but it's not about to make it into any L.E. training vids.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No time to let the dog go in, spray appeared to not faze him. Once the perp turned to face the officer, and within range to do serious damage to the officer, and with his weapon raised to strike, his fate was sealed.