A question for Instructors

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That with wisdom comes compassion

With compassion comes enlightment

With enlightment comes paece

It is a never ending cycle of growth that we must teach and learn everyday or else we are a meer shadow of ourself.
icon14.gif

Wisdom from the Great
icon10.gif

Master Stoker:asian:

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
a few things actually

that the most uncoordinated student can show me new ways of doing something and pull off some strange but amazing techniques

That I can learn something every day while teaching and new ways of expressing things

that no two people learn the same way

that even a beginner can break my ribs if I don't block

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, he wasn't my student, but it got me thinking.

I had been through a handful of tests for color rank and the younger brother of another student had finally joined and was testing for his first color rank.

A question on his oral exam was "what is the hardest part of training martial arts for you?"

His answer, without a moment's hesitation was, "This."

It was hilarious at the time, but it was so true! And it got me thinking - tests are hard ... else they wouldn't be called "tests" eh? ;) But the pressure was on, he had to show what he had to everyone be it right, wrong or new; he was on exhibition and needed all his skills in the moment.

So after all the reassuring and encouraging we do for folks about their tests and performing in front of other people, he was absolutely right. When the pressure's on, it can be hard, likely the hardest part of anything.

It just made me think ....

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't have a lot of time to tell the stories but I think the top two things I've learned from students is to block the groin MUCH better than I used to and why it is that "we do it that way."

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Students are essential to my own personal growth as well as growth of the arts.
Their questions, their challenges on why we do something, their respect and support, their inspiration to me when they grow and advance, and my having to keep learning to keep teaching them are what have driven my own growth and that of our school.
The fresh eyes that students bring help keep us from getting stagnant (as long as we remain open minded).

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As instructors we teach our students but we also should learn from them as well. What is the most important lesson you've learned from a student or students?

There is alot of misinformation out..We need to be patient to correct it ..

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In a nutshell...

Sometimes, in order to teach certain students, you need to have an understanding of how they may be thinking. While it's nice to have a completely standardized regimen for the bulk of your students, there will always be those who need some tweaking.

If a student becomes a cancer to the organization (that takes a LOT), you may need to make the choices required to keep your dojo alive.

You need to be on the same page as the other instructors in the dojo. One of the worst things you can hear is "Sensei X teaches it this way" from one of your students, disrupting the class continuity.

Most importantly, your students are going to be a reflection of you. This is why you need to keep up your training, keep things sharp, etc.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Among many other things, humilty & a good sense of humor. I've been training a long time, but have only had my own school for a little while. It would be easy to get a big head.

A few months ago, I was telling my kids class about my instructor, GM Ed Sell. (GM Sell has acheived quite a lot in our art). I was saying that we were trying to arrange for GM Sell to come to our state for a visit. A 7 year old yellow belt raised his hand & said, "Come on. Does he really know who you even are?" I love that kid:ultracool

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What I've learned from teaching—not just MAs but skiing and university—is just how complex many of the things are which seem simple to us when we've been doing them for long enough. It's often difficult to realize—particularly in the case of children—how many separate factors go into a technique or skill that we find simple. It's very tricky, I've found, for example, to get a younger student to do a turning kick correctly, even if you demo the difference between a turning and a front kick in slow motion, meticulously—they just don't know what it is they should be seeing. So over and over again, you wind up going back to the very basic moves, skills and techniques and trying to think about what they really consist of, what their essence and structure is, and how to re-present that essence so it's comprehensible to your students. And that can give you a much deeper grasp of those basics than you would otherwise have had...

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well this really sticks out for me. I was teaching pinion 1 to a 15 year old. The student was just having a hard time with the 270 degree spin. I showed and we worked it and he just could not get it. a 5 year old came over Yellow belt youth rank. who had the form and said. Sensei the elbow shows the way. I said what? He said the elbow shows the way. and then did the move and showed me how the elbow bens towards the side you spin with.
I then showed the 15 year old and he got it. I now give that student who is now older credit for that little extra help. and I now add it when teaching..
You can learn and grow from anyone.
kosho

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well this really sticks out for me. I was teaching pinion 1 to a 15 year old. The student was just having a hard time with the 270 degree spin. I showed and we worked it and he just could not get it. a 5 year old came over Yellow belt youth rank. who had the form and said. Sensei the elbow shows the way. I said what? He said the elbow shows the way. and then did the move and showed me how the elbow bens towards the side you spin with.
I then showed the 15 year old and he got it. I now give that student who is now older credit for that little extra help. and I now add it when teaching..
You can learn and grow from anyone.
kosho

Very nice story, Kosho!

Usually all it takes to get someone to understand what's involved in a tricky move is getting one detail right... the problem is that which detail is `the one' can vary wildly from student to student. It's lucky that your teenage student and your five-year old little guy were on the same page as far as the 3/4 spin goes.

Good for him!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
As instructors we teach our students but we also should learn from them as well. What is the most important lesson you've learned from a student or students?

I'd have to say that students always make me think. They make you stay sharp with the questions that they ask. Because of the time that most instructors have put in, we may look at a simple move and not think twice about how to do it, because of the number of times its already been done. Now, trying to teach a new student, who has never had any MA training, how to do that same move, you need to bring yourself back down to their level. You can't think and talk like you would to another inst. who knows how to do a move, you need to revert back to how the student thinks.

Mike

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As a school teacher, it's hard to separate out what I learned from school students and what I learned from TKD students, so there's going to be some overlap.

I've learned to not make assumptions about what a person can or cannot do.

I've learned that I have to understand a technique thoroughly before I can teach it.

I've learned that each person learns differently, and therefore all instruction needs to be individualized.

I've learned that sometimes peers can be the best instructors - and sometimes the worst.

I've learned that I am not the right instructor for all students.

I've learned perseverance. As many of you know, I teach special education, and I have a couple of developmentally delayed adult students in my TKD class - one of them started in my class over 4 years ago, during which time another adult who was a yellow belt earned his black belt - while the developmentally delayed student (who has cerebral palsy, too) is still a high yellow belt - but it doesn't stop him from coming and trying every class.

I've learned that the art teacher I met years ago was right: all students need to be taken from where they are when they start (not where I want them to be) and given the tools to go as far as they can - but the skills learned along the way are more important than the destination, which will be different for all students.

I've learned that students who start together, practice together in and out of class, and attend all of the same testings, still learn different skills at different rates and different levels of proficiency.

I've learned that I learn as much - and sometimes much more - from my juniors as they learn from me.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Though students share commonalities, i.e. age, gender, belt rank, etc., they are first and foremost individuals. Beware the cookie-cutter syndrome.

Talk is cheap.

Everyone hits the wall at some point. Accept it and move on.

Sometimes (more often than not) students quite. That doesn't automatically mean it's MY fault. (I tend to take it hard.)

No one knows everything. Pretending you do makes you look silly whether you think so or not. Personally, I'll be the first to admit I still have ALOT to learn.

Determination is contageous. So is defeatism. Be careful what you portray. Accept critisizm as a gift. Even when it's painful.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What have I learned from my students?

That I still have plenty of room to learn more.

That the way I see something, even though it appears to be crystal clear and perfectly understandable, may not be to another person.

That, sometimes, and especially with teenagers, you just need to shock their system a little so that they can learn!

And that, sometimes, and especially with teenagers, the last thing you want to do is shock their system 'cause then they won't be able to learn.

And that beginners can get everything right at the damndest times! (Got a scar on my chin to prove that one!)

Latest Discussions