Ever broken someone?

luigi_m_

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Right, as Martial Arts is about self defence, as well as fitness, self-balance, co-ordination, and of course fun, have you ever really hurt someone, like broken their bones in a fight? This can be inside of outside the dojo, just tell me your stories (especially if they are gorey).

Or, have YOU ever been a victim of a broken bone/wrist/[other], eg, someone has thrown you incorrectly and you weren't able to make a ukemi (fall), or punched someone and done more damage to yourself?

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
I'll just say...Coming from the inner city, I have really hurt people quite a few times. I could write pages of stories of what I did, or seen. However, I don't like to discuss such things. (I don't apologize for them either. What was done had to be done.)
icon9.gif

I'll also say that I have lost many friends to the prison system, as well as the graveyard. RIP Boys!

Ross

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hand Sword said:
I'll just say...Coming from the inner city, I have really hurt people quite a few times. I could write pages of stories of what I did, or seen. However, I don't like to discuss such things. (I don't apologize for them either. What was done had to be done.)
icon9.gif

I'll also say that I have lost many friends to the prison system, as well as the graveyard. RIP Boys!

Salute!

WingChun Lawyer

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well, I almost broke a guy´s nose during a sparring match, but I am afraid that does not quite fit the definition of gorey - although, to be fair, there was an awful lot of blood involved.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've had minor things from time to time happen, I've broken a few ribs of fighting partners as well as had a few cracked ribs, small injuries myself. Anything that happened in a real situation I didn't hang around long enough to see if they had broken anything :)

7sm

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Knee surgery, cracked wrist, rib broken, a couple af arm breaks as well, let just say everything has hurt one time or another.
Terry

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think just a pinky toe. Was sparring with a guy, he tried to do a roundhouse, but I punched his leg before it could hit me. He fell back on his foot and twisted his pinky toe all the way around, snap.

I think thats about it... Don't really have a lot of injuries under my belt of giving or receiving.

bobster_ice

Black Belt
Reaction score
luigi_m_ said:
Right, as Martial Arts is about self defence, as well as fitness, self-balance, co-ordination, and of course fun, have you ever really hurt someone, like broken their bones in a fight? This can be inside of outside the dojo, just tell me your stories (especially if they are gorey).

Or, have YOU ever been a victim of a broken bone/wrist/[other], eg, someone has thrown you incorrectly and you weren't able to make a ukemi (fall), or punched someone and done more damage to yourself?

This happened about 1-2 years ago.

Well...I have really hurt somebody once and I will tell the whole story.

I went into belfast(the city) to do some shopping for my mum, everything was all fine, no bother or bombs. I met this guy called Chris, he seemed a nice guy, too nice... I was just about to go home, disappointed(sp?) as I couldnt find a shop that sold nirvana t-shirts, which sucked because I loved nirvana at the time.

Chris took me down this alley way that lead into the "screwed up" part of belfast. He took me to one of his friends and introduced me to him, I said hi and started talking to him(I am a very talkitive person). He seem a decent person. Jay (the guy that chris introduced me to) took me to a shop that sold stuff to do with any type of rock..YAY!! I got my first nirvana T-shirt. Well that was ok, I was happy and was just about to get the bus home... Chris and Jay BOTH pulled a knife on me, I was scared, I only knew one technique to disarm someone with a knife, and these guys were way bigger nd stronger than me.

Chris, with his kinfe, tried to hurt me, but of course, I remebered my Karate and Tai jitsu, and I "kicked his ***" so badly.

Jay decided to try and get me with his knife, but I remebered a wrist lock that my dad showed me and I tried it out of Jay,lol, He screamed like a baby, it was so funny. Although it happened 1-2 years ago, I can remember it as if it happened yesterday, it was actaully the scariest moment of my life.

Chris had a broken nose, and his whole face was covered in blood, Jay has his arm broken in 2 places(well he did deserve it).

Before that happened, I never knew that doing Martial Arts would be so affective, in other words I never knew that I could do so much damage to people who are 2-3 years older than me when I was 12.

Darn, I feel so proud,

Bobby

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Recently, I whacked someone in my class hard on their thumb when we were practicing with Escrima sticks, I've also clashed shins with 2 other people while sparring. That's pretty much all I've done- sorry there's nothing gorey.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The worst I ever did is I came very close to breaking someones shoulder when they pulled a knife on me. It did put them in a sling though.

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
You seem unduely excited about this; wanting stories that are especially gore-ladden.

The martial arts aren't about hurting people... yes, it does happen... but the way you phrase your post is quite disconcerting.

You demand to be told stories, rather than asking... and not for any particular reason, such as how to avoid training injuries or how to be prepared for the street... it seems to be morbid curiousity.

Maybe I'm being waspish because its 3 am, I don't know...

There are also already threads on this topic.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sam said:
You seem unduely excited about this; wanting stories that are especially gore-ladden.

The martial arts aren't about hurting people... yes, it does happen... but the way you phrase your post is quite disconcerting.

You demand to be told stories, rather than asking... and not for any particular reason, such as how to avoid training injuries or how to be prepared for the street... it seems to be morbid curiousity.

Waspish or not, those are very good points! I for one, agree totally.

I mean no disrespect to anyone but I have found in my experience that sometimes those who seek glorification of gore are those who aren't getting hit enough in their dojos and metaphorically hit enough in their lives.

Whether yours or somebody elses, blood and broken bones aren't funny. This is not the movies.

My advice for those advocates of bloodshed would be go train a bit harder in their arts. Take plenty of hits, see your own blood and someone elses then maybe your need will diminish.

The martial arts are fantastic, let's not besmirch the arts' well-deserved reputation for respect by trying to promote bloodthirsty attitudes that should be dumped out with Hollywood.

Yr most obdt hmble svt,
Jenna

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In my years of training there have been a few times when someone I was working with has broken a bone. There have been times when I got one broke. it was never intentionaly. Toes, and fingers get broke all the time it may be because they get stepped on or you have an open hand (when it should have been closed) these things are usualy called accidents.
Haveing also lived in the city for a while I will say that yes things happen there and people get hurt and if you have to use what you know it is to protect yourslef

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sam said:

Good point Sam, and you are not being waspish.

Personally, I'm not a person that is comfortable with hurting something. It is not something that I would do intentionally...not physically, mentally, or emotionally.

I hurt someone. I feel horrible about it. It shouldn't have happened. When faced with a decision, I chose wrong. I am a beginner and made a beginner mistake...but even so, I had the power to prevent it and I didn't when I made a bad choice.

I can't think of a much worse feeling than watching someone suffering, knowing that I caused it, and knowing that it didn't have to happen. :(

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Back in school during lunch I broke some guys hand with the side of my face during a lunchtime fight. I couldn't see a half minute, but he was in a cast for a couple months. I didn't feel sorry for that bully.

The only other time I broke someone was not in a fight, but while playing goalie in a soccer league. I broke another person's leg. I was a goalie and he was trying to score. He was on a breakaway and the ball got a little too far in front of him. I jumped to grab the ball as he went to kick the ball and I think he may have kicked my arm, or I grabbed his leg with the ball or something. Anyway, I felt really bad about that one.

So far in MA, it has only been normal bumps and bruises.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The incidents I have experienced I feel are very unfortunate and should have never happened but they did so I did what was nesscery to end it and thats it.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
Very well said. That's all that should be said regarding a thread like this. I don't mean to bash, But, for those of us that have these real experiences, that can answer a thread like this, it's very difficult to talk about it.

Respect.

thescottishdude

Orange Belt
Reaction score
the only damage I've had is sprained fingers and chipped the bones on a few fingers, which makes them swell up and turn purpule for about 4 days.....

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have broken my own ribs (couple of times) and broke a sparring partners ribs. I felt really bad about the incident. Almost stopped training because of it. Luckily my sparring partner went out of his way to make sure I knew it was an accident.

WingChun Lawyer

Green Belt
Reaction score
I believe this thread is necessary.

It is important to know how our fellow martial artists have dealt with the injuries they cause and suffered, and what kind of injuries are common in our hobby.

I can´t see how honestly trading relevant experiences can relate to a supposed "glorification of violence".