Ever been knocked out?

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
i'm really lucky i guess. i've never been ko'd, but i've been in the fuzzy hallway several times. after a second or two it wakes me up a bit.

actually i take that back, my brother knocked me out sort of when we were teenagers. my parents had a rule that we could fight all we wanted as long as we didn't hit each other in the face. so one day we were really getting into it & he clocked me right in the jaw. i crashed into the wall & fell down, tried to get up, & fell down again. it didn't hurt, i just remember being really angry that i couldn't stand up. everything went black & when i woke up i was sitting on his chest swinging away. i forgot all about that.

jf

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Twice - once by a Mini (tho' I gave as good as I got, crushing the edge of the roof with my head) and once by an Audi (well, by a road sign, my own bike and general trauma after being hit by an Audi to be accurate) :lol:.

In martial arts tho', no.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Amazing what the human body can take sometimes, isn't it?

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A couple times. I don't care to repeat the experience.

I am right there with you on that my friend.

Happened 1 time when I took up boxing. My sparring partner had heavy hands and I remember ducking 1 punch and getting hit with another and it was 'goodnight irene'.

I came too in the corner. Mouthpiece flew across and out of the ring. I don't remember it and boxing coach said "whoa..you are done for the day." I ha da splitting headache the rest of the day. Remember saying to myself "I don't think this boxing thing is for me.."

lol...went back the next day to continue though!

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've never been knocked out so I think I'm lucky, though from what I hear it's not as bad as I might think ... but I am a big chicken.

I've not knocked anyone out either. Sparring in Seido was way structured and a lot of protection so it never came to that and Choi Kwang Do has no sparring at all so no opportunity there. In self defense situations I've busted noeses, lips, dislocated an elbow and a knee but never got that far.

Maybe I'm missing out by having not knocked someone out.

Raynac

Green Belt
Reaction score
hmmm I am now really begining to wonder what being knocked out feels like. I don't think I've ever been close before.

I can think of two instances, one were one of my fellow to-shin do students wa practicing a wind move on me. luckly im good at my breakfalls and did it near perfectly. on the other hand he still threw me hard, for 1 second my vision was black and I saw stars... and my head didn't even come close to the mat. i had it safely tucked away using my breakfall, i can't imagine what it would have been like if I hadn't

the other time i got smoked in the head with a stray golf ball from another golfers badly aimed drive. actually i felt pretty normal, for the first couple of seconds I didn't move (still standing) because i was confused as to why there was a high pitched ringing noise. then I was more confused by the image of my dad silently yelling at my sister (apperently he thought she threw it at me) after the ringing went away another golfer who had seen the whole thing said he had seen much larger golfers go down out cold from less powerful swings.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I've been knocked out 5 times.

Once when sparring with my brother I took a hard hit to the head.

Once I got choked out with the rear naked choke.

Once in the dojo I was one of three group attackers and the defender through one of my partners' hands into my face and hit me right in between the nose and the lips and knocked me out.

once in the dojo I tried to roll out of a throw, but I miscalculated and landed on my neck. I spasamed around for a while then lost consciousness. I woke up just as my sesei was preparing to dig my grave and change his name and move out of state...jk. But it did freak everybody out.

These weren't fun experiences, but they won't deter me from training.

oh and in junior high I took a softball to the face and got knocked out. Those things are anything but soft.

Last edited:

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
hmmm I am now really begining to wonder what being knocked out feels like. I don't think I've ever been close before.

for me when the fast knock outs happen I felt sudden impact and then I saw black and woke up in about 6 seconds usually.

slow knock outs are sneaky it's like "i'm fine, I'm fine, I'm fine, I'm tired, *thud*."

Then you wake up to the faces of everyone croutched around you just staring going "you ok?"

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Not in MA training. I've had 5 or 6 concussions from various things (car wrecks, horse wrecks, etc.) but have only been knocked out once. I was setting up a haunted house at my high school and some guys were in the rafters putting up a big steel power box that weighed about 10 pounds. It fell on my head and made a big gash right where my hairline meets my forehead. I went down like a sack of bricks. No pain, just a bright flash of light and then nothingness. Onlookers say I said, "Why does this always happen to me?!?" when it happened, but I was not aware of that. Woke up 30 seconds or so later with a hysterical teacher hovering over me threatening to call an ambulance.

Another time, we were doing chokes in class, and we were supposed to tap when we "saw the big spots." Well, I never saw any spots at all, so I didn't tap, just stood there waiting for something to happen. Finally, one of the black belts yelled at me to "Tap, for God's sake!" She said my face was purple and about twice its normal size, and she was afraid I was going to die. Coulda fooled me.

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
Never been knocked out by a punch or kick but was knocked out with a baseball bat when I was 13 cyears old. Got hit right in the face and broke my front tooth off at the gum line. I had to have a root canal done and have a crown put on. But it knocked me clean out. I had amnesia for 2 or 3 days.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Never been knocked out by a punch or kick but was knocked out with a baseball bat when I was 13 cyears old. Got hit right in the face and broke my front tooth off at the gum line. I had to have a root canal done and have a crown put on. But it knocked me clean out. I had amnesia for 2 or 3 days.

oh man! That would HURT! Did this happen in a fight or was it an accident?

fangjian

Black Belt
Reaction score
Got jumped one time by about 7 guys. I went down pretty fast. I heard later they were still kickin the crap out of me when I was unconcious. Using my head for punting practice. When I regained conciousness many minutes later on the ambulance I said " WHat happened? They said "you got into a fight" I said " Oh, did I win?"

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

This happened to me too, also when I was 13. We were playing a game of softball at the park. I was the catcher and my little sister was up to bat. She wasn't a very good player and when she actually hit a ball she was so excited she flung the bat behind her. It went sailing right into my forehead. *smack*

I was knocked on my back, saw stars/white flashes, then out. I don't remember how I got up, but the next thing I do remember is being in the bathroom at the park center with a knot on my forehead that made me look like Frankenstein, and I vaguely remember park personnel being there.

A trip to the hospital confirmed I had a concussion. Mom had to wake me up every 2 hours all night long. It was long ago and I don't remember what the followup was, but I do remember having a huge lump on my forehead for weeks.

Latest Discussions