Ever been knocked out?

K

KenpoMatt

Ever been knocked out?

I've seen it happen. I've heard some stories. It hasn't happened to me (yet). I'm curious, what it is like? Did you feel the blow? Was it an instant lights-out? A fade to black? How long were you out? Do you remember it? Did it change your approach or attitude? We're you foggy for any period of time afterwards?

OR, have you K.O.'ed someone? How did you feel about it?

Let's please keep this to M.A. related activities - sparring, SD techniques, street application.

I'd like to hear your stories.

Thanks.

OP
A

Astra

Yeah.

Once at school we devoted a few times to boxing matches. Nothing fancy, a set perimeter and smaller kickboxing gloves.

I managed to drop my guard halfway and got knocked right in the slapper. It was really weird. I _knew_ I'd been hit, but I didn't feel practically anything and I got an instant black-out. It faded, but it was one of the weirdest sensations ever. I didn't hit the ground, but for the next ten seconds I lost all balance and moved like I was drunk (those who saw me later said my eyes were "swimming" around). You could say it changed my approach, after I could stand again without wibbleing, I went out all-attack :)
It also taught me the valuable lesson that passive fighting is not a good thing. Plus I'm not overly worried about getting hit in the head during sparring.

Oddly, I didn't suffer a single noticable hit besides that one :)

DAC..florida

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It has always been in the dojo, I have never had it happen to me in competition.

1. what is it like?
Its like falling asleep standing up!

2.Did you feel the blow?
I felt the hit but not the pain.

3.was it a instant lights out or fade to black?
Once it was a fade to black. All the other times
I got dizzy and just fell down, then woke up later.

4.Did it change your approach or attitude?
no!

5.were you foggy afterward?
Just for a minuete or two.

6.Did you remember it?
Only waking up!

7. Have you knocked someone out , how did you feel about it?
Yes I have, Its a little scary I mean you hope you didnt hurt them.

Hope this helps?
:asian:

OP
C

clapping_tiger

I have been choked out once when I was a teenager, to see what it was like. Everything faded pretty fast and next thing I knew I woke up. Everything was sort of weird like being drunk and getting the gas at the dentist. It took me a while to come out of it fully and I had one hell of a headache.

I have never been Knocked Out, but I have had similar experiences as Astra. I have on video a time I got hit while sparring and like stated before me by both Astra and Dac, you know you were hit but it doesn't really hurt. I have been "rocked" once where it took me a few seconds to recover, and I have been "rocked" (this Tuesday as a matter of fact, I took a kick to the face while sparring my buddy) where it just takes you back a few steps and you shake it off. I have seen at at times, a flash or something at the time of impact.

The first time I knocked someone out it was very scary. I was hoping the whole time that I didn't seriously hurt him. It was weird how you can go from fight mode, to oh crap now what did I do. It sort of happened in slo motion when I think back. It was like I hit him and he looked at me with a blank stare and then he fell to the side and his eyes rolled back and sort of fluttered then he was out. The whole time all I could think of was what if I killed him or put him in a coma.

Jay Bell

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have probably the most bizarre knock out story ever told.

Have I been knocked out? Yes...once by one of my best friends. However the details are pretty strange..

My friend and I studied Kenpo back in college. We were sparring one night doing drills and as I moved in, he did a sharp front snap that caught me on the shin. About mid-way down, just to the outside of my right shin (the meat, not the bone). Ached a bit...we laughed...and moved on.

Moments later we had to line up to finish class. I saw white on the outside of my vision, if flooded and I went nite nite. (no..it wasn't from locking my knees). As we stood lined up, the spot that Gerry hit was throbbing like no tomorrow...and then I was out. I was awoken by a great big burly biker named Bear. Bear was a nurse and told me how to lie down.

So...to this day, when we're all out drinking, Gerry still revels in the fact that he's the only person to ever actually knock me out..........by kicking me in the leg. :D (Of course when HE tells it, it typically ends in, "And THAT is how hard I can kick".....)

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In Judo I've been strangled to what is near-unconsciousness but never all the way out.

I don't think I've ever knocked someone out either.

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jay Bell
I have probably the most bizarre knock out story ever told.

Have I been knocked out? Yes...once by one of my best friends. However the details are pretty strange..

My friend and I studied Kenpo back in college. We were sparring one night doing drills and as I moved in, he did a sharp front snap that caught me on the shin. About mid-way down, just to the outside of my right shin (the meat, not the bone). Ached a bit...we laughed...and moved on.

Moments later we had to line up to finish class. I saw white on the outside of my vision, if flooded and I went nite nite. (no..it wasn't from locking my knees). As we stood lined up, the spot that Gerry hit was throbbing like no tomorrow...and then I was out. I was awoken by a great big burly biker named Bear. Bear was a nurse and told me how to lie down.

So...to this day, when we're all out drinking, Gerry still revels in the fact that he's the only person to ever actually knock me out..........by kicking me in the leg. :D (Of course when HE tells it, it typically ends in, "And THAT is how hard I can kick".....)

Odd!

I wonder if anyone here with Dim Mak/Atemi/Pressure point (call it what you will) knowledge can shed any light on what might've happened? Doc?

Ian.

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My story is a fun one (in the end). We were at a tournament and we decided to enter the tag team competition sparring. My friend at the time was a brown belt and needed two buddies to help her out in order to enter the advanced tag team event. I, and another of our friends volunteered- she was a purple belt and I was a blue belt at the time. Anyway, so we entered this event and the first team we had to fight were all black belts!! We were a little nervous, but just figured we'd do our best and see where it got us. I got tagged in second and the girl I was against did this front snap kick and nailed me right between the eyes!! I felt the kick hit me, but no pain- and then it was like I was looking thru a tunnel, the tunnel slowly closed in and (according to on-lookers) I fell straight back on my back. I later had a lot of neck pain and learned that when I hit the gym floor, my head rocked back and the back of my head slammed into the floor as well (thank God I was wearing head-gear). I was only out a minute or two and when I woke up, it was weird cuz I didn't know I had fallen!! I remembered the kick and then waking up with lots of people looking down at me and that was it!!

The fun part is that the officials asked if our team wanted to finish- they gave me a few minutes to feel better/come out of the fog and we were allowed to continue. The other team lost a point because of the contact made to my head. We continued and I was out two rounds and then put in for one more- I scored one point and then tagged out and my friend made the winning point and our team won!!!! We were so happy!! The underdogs came out on top!!

Sometimes today (and this thing happened about 10 years ago) I have neck problems and wonder if it all goes back to that whiplash from falling.

As for me knocking someone else out. No- I've never done that. That would be very scary I think. I did get DQ'd for making head contact with a kick at a tournament though. The girl had a bloody nose and I felt just awful about it. She reassured me later that she was fine, but I was shaken by it.

:asian: :karate:

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not knocked out but darn close I was wobbling all over the place but still knew where my opponet was. My feet just didnt want to do what I wanted them to do and I could have sworn i was sparring with one guy but he keep turning into 2 when I tried to focus on him. He had kicked me in the temple. The effects lasted about 3 minutes then cleared up.
That was a different feeling thats for sure

OP
L

Limey Scrapman

I've been 'stunned' a couple of times but maybe knocked out only once (which may account for my poor spelling :) )

In Judo I've been strangled out and been left with a headache, my instructor told me it was due to the "dead blood" left in my head. Not exactly reassuring, everything faded to black. Another time on a trampoline I hit myself in the face with my knee! I was all over the shop after that.

THe time I knocked myself was doing a bicycle kick in soccer and I was tackled from behind. I landed on my head and had no memory of the event but had a splitting head ache. I carried on but I could hardly run after that one.

Oh I just remembered once in rugby I tried to stop a 260 Ib prop forward diving over to score a try, I wasn't exactly knocked out that time the pain in my head just forced me to lie face down in the grass for some time.

Being hit in the shin and going down I wonder if thats a shock response where the body thinks it's going to bleed to death and your blood pressure crashes. I remember when my son was born being told by the nurse to sit down because I had gone greeny white:D

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have been knocked out twice. Once in sparring and once in a match. I have knocked a few people out in the same type instances. I have also choked out two friends and been choked out once. The story the is best to tell though is when I was almost knocked out in a "light" sparring match.

I traded a hook on his forehead for an uppercut to my chin. My vision went into a warp wormhole. It went to tunnel vision and all I could see was my sparring partner's face, but it looked about 30 ft away and it was swaying back and forth. Next the tunnel rushed back at me at about mach 3 and I was back to normal vision, but everyone was staring at me in wonder and I was swaying back and forth. Turns out it was a really loud hit, I had dropped my mouthpiece out and just stood there with a dumb look on my face as a stumbled and swayed, but didn't fall. I might not have been knocked out, but the headache that followed made me wish I had.

OP
M

MartialArtsGuy

I'm not sure if this counts, but I have knocked myself out by taking deep breaths and holding the last one and than squeezing the sides of my neck to cut off blood supply. I dropped like a rock in a few seconds. I was in 7th grade by the way.

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I have only been KO'd twice through martial arts training, and they have both been in the last 3 years. The first time was by a fellow student, a nice little open handed tap to St5 and I was gone. I was only out for a second or two but it felt like I'd lost those seconds. It's weird but it's like that moment just never existed. I felt OK though and continued on with the class, but every time we had to stop for further instruction or whatever, it was all I could do to keep my eyes open, I kept wanting to nod off.

The second time, I was being the crash test dummy for my instructor. He was demonstrating a Kyusho application from a kata. He popped me on Gb20 and the funny thing was it didn't work, he must have had the wrong angle, I just sort stayed where I was and he hit me again, no pain but out cold.
After he brought me around, I remember thinking wow I feel OK, maybe he could use me for another one....
Then about 20 minutes later, I got this burning sensation where I'd been hit, it was like someone was applying a naked flame to the spot. Then 3 days later I got a bruise, and that stayed with me for 2 weeks.

Most times our instructor will only take us to the wobbley legs part before he grabs us and stops us from going out. He believes that ALL KO's are dangerous, even the choke ones.

I train with Pressure Points but I'm still relatively new to it. I think Doc would be able to explain what happened to Jay Bell better than I could.

--Dave

:asian:

don bohrer

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Oh yeah and by a friend no less :shrug:

He caught me with a spinning back fist as I stepped to his blind side. I foolishely took my eyes off him. Hit landed that punch between my nose and check bone.

Almost instant darkness, no pain and I was still conscious. I did drop to my knees out of worry that I might go out.

OP
K

KenpoMatt

Jay Bell:
he did a sharp front snap that caught me on the shin. About mid-way down, just to the outside of my right shin (the meat, not the bone). Ached a bit...we laughed...and moved on.

As we stood lined up, the spot that Gerry hit was throbbing like no tomorrow...and then I was out.

That is amazing. I'm very curious to hear an explanation of what caused that. Any ideas? I have no real experience with pressure points and that sort of thing. Maybe some of you medical or pressure point MS'a have some thoughts on it.

Thanks very much everyone for your stories. Anyone else have an experience they'd like to share?

OP
P

pknox

I was choked out in a freestyle grappling class once - It was a naked rear choke, and I remember thinking, "if I could just turn towards the guy, i'll be OK" and then waking up by opening my eyes. I have no recollection of actually going out at all. The whole thing felt basically instantaneous. My opponent said that I basically went limp, so he let go. I woke up on my own (I'm not sure how long, but it couldn't have been more than a few seconds based on what I was told) and felt a bit lightheaded at first, but that was all (I felt kind of like I do after doing a bunch of rolls, actually). My sensei warned me that I might be overly tired when I went to bed and/or have a headache in the morning - I had neither.

If anything, it felt like waking up for a nap, except I wasn't refreshed - the only thing that unnerved me at all was that I had no idea how long I had been out - I was told it was a few seconds, but if they had said it was an hour I wouldn't have known any different.

OP
D

Daniel

When I was first starting Parker Kenpo I made the mistake of dropping my guard thinking the sparring round was over against a much larger brown belt with little control. He pounded my head about as hard as he could 6-7 times before I got out from the corner. I saw stars, not knocked out, it was about the closest I've been to a knockout via impact.

Doing some grappling I came close once or twice from solid chokes but again no full knockout.

I've knocked a few people out in dojos before though, some just very stunned and falling but two of them were lights out, eyes rolled back types, ouch. It wasn't even from really nailing them that hard either, someone else very skilled in pressure points gave me some very solid explanations that made much more sense than just me impacting them hard.

OP
J

J-kid

I have been nearly knocked out a few times. Once i was sparring and ducked into a straight right/upper cut. Hit me right in the nose i wasnt knocked out but dazed and my eyes where watering. I got a headache one time from hitting my head real hard on the mat. Another time i was in a fight and i jabed the guy and got hit with a wild right, i was out for about 1 second standing then realized i was fighting. Luckly my muscles knew what to do back up and move around. The guy i hit quit and i yelled that tickled and no one even knew i was even dazed. Another time i was going for 1st place at the NW highschool championship. I was gpomg fpr a throw got tossed the dude landed on me hard, he was like you alright. I was slightly dazed but i was ok.

When it comes to being choked out i think i have come very very close but not out,I get a strange dazed feeling sorta fuzzy feeling kinda like your body feel asleep and you feel super dazed. I usally dont tap til the very last second. Just a few days ago i was sparring with another guy and we where tied up intil the last 30 seconds, (we had been doing submission mat work or rolling for about 1 hour straight with lots of reverses.) any how get gets me in a choke using the GI or jacket and i had a few seconds to try and escape i tapped out because it wasnt worth getting passed out. I could have escaped if i stood up but it was 50/50 so i just tapped. He let go and i was real dazed, he was like are you all right and he sounded all weird. I coudnt stand and i was on my knees and i was thinking o crap not this feeling again, then i started convulsing and he was like your doing the chicken and started laughing. I tryed to stop my muscles form spaziming as i said to him i was alright.

Any how i have never been choked/strangled out or knocked out but came close a few times.
%-}

Latest Discussions