estacada mike

mcantele

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to this forum, and new to martial arts. I turned 48 about the time I followed my kids to thier TKD class, and thought I'd give it a shot. Well, I strained my achilles tendon and am thinking maybe there is a different Art out there that would be more appropriate for me, given my tendon issues. I am really enjoying the work out and the people I am training with. The tendon strain is going on 3 months and doesn't seem to wan't to heel. Does anyone have any suggestions? I just don't trust my shock absorbers. The jumping required in TKD may be just a little to much to ask. Thanks for any ideas. Mike

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome and as too your question TKD is a great choice of course I'm bias, but TaiChi or Aikido maybe something to look into.
Terry

OP
M

mcantele

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Terry, I think Tae chi is far to slow. I am interested in a more energetic work out. I'll continue with TKD with my kids, but I am not able do the jumps. I am very frustrated with that. Wish me luck. Mike

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome. Personally, I'd go for jujitsu or aikido if I were you. Much more stable than TKD.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome, and happy posting! :wavey:

I love TKD myself, having been in it for 19 years; have you considered an additional art or training to help you with your tendon issues? I was at my most flexible when I took yoga as well. Also, as frustrating as it is to see others around you doing something you want to do and can't, you're still already doing more than the vast majority of people out there. Do what you can do, work hard on your flexibility, and you will improve with time... and if you can't ever do jump kicks, well, you can find a different aspect of the art to specialize in. You wouldn't be the first person who couldn't do jump kicks, and you won't be the last.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
mcantele said:
Hello, I'm new to this forum, and new to martial arts. I turned 48 about the time I followed my kids to thier TKD class, and thought I'd give it a shot. Well, I strained my achilles tendon and am thinking maybe there is a different Art out there that would be more appropriate for me, given my tendon issues. I am really enjoying the work out and the people I am training with. The tendon strain is going on 3 months and doesn't seem to wan't to heel. Does anyone have any suggestions? I just don't trust my shock absorbers. The jumping required in TKD may be just a little to much to ask. Thanks for any ideas. Mike

Welcome to Martial Talk!:ultracool

If you havent already, you might want to see a doctor so he can check out the tendon. There are many arts out there that don't require much or any jumping. Aikido, Kenpo, Arnis, BJJ, Krav Maga are just a few that you might want to look at. What other schools are in your area?

Mike

OP
M

mcantele

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks again for the input. I have seen a doctor, and am now seeing a phisical therapist. I am hoping this problem is curable, but after re-injuring a couple of times, I have my doubts. I am living and working in the Portland Oregon area. There are a variety of schools in the area. But, I am also trying to support my daughter in her TKD training. The class is very convenient. And I get a vigorous work out, with good incentive to work out at home. I am still attending class, but with limitation. I wish I would have started with martial arts years ago. I am sure I will find something if the TKD doesn't work out. But I think it will. Gotta go. Mike

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
Welcome to MT! :wavey: I just started taking Aikido 2.5 months ago, so I'm a little impartial. ;)

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to MartialTalk Mike!

I think that you might enjoy Budo Taijutsu or Modern Arnis. Both are definately a great workout but even better they are two systems that are geared towards adults. There are so many great art's out there
that you should just see what is in your area and check out the local
training halls. Good luck.

Brian R. VanCise
www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Welcome to MT. I suggest Shaolin Kempo Karate though that is a bias suggestion because i train in it myself. Im only a begginer (6 weeks now) and im about to take my first belt test (yellow). Im 6'4" and i played soccer for 12 years so my knees have taken some punishment and i found that Kempo is great and not stressful on my joints. Plus it is helping me to regain my flexibility and im also noticing less problems from my knees.

B

OP
M

mcantele

White Belt
Reaction score
Again, Thank you all for the suggestions. Also, I must say, I am enjoying the forum. Where else can you get response from such a variety of individuals with relatively similar interests. Mike

Latest Discussions