Enough to gag a maggot

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
St. Peter was a Martial Artists. So were several other of the Apostles. They practiced Sword Arts.

Some of my friends claim that these fine upstanding Jews went out and joined a Cult. :p
well if your running with that argument, hitler was a martial artist as he had big army. He was also a non religious cult of personality

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Outside of England, the most common thing to happen is for students to take up Buddhism, or at least take a great interest. This is not bad, from a global standpoint; because, they see Christianity within Buddhism, and latch on to that, for the most part. However, this isn't recommended.

England? Try the UK. I've also been to martial arts places around Europe. Nope no Buddhists, not even the Muay Thai places go for that much.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't think the originators of any of the martial arts had any thoughts of it being of religious significance either, in the East religious thought does permeate live from day to day than in the West where religion is put in it's own compartment in people's lives. It's more to do with behaving in a way that is accordant with their beliefs every minute of the day so that every action is in harmony with their beliefs. It's not that martial arts was part of their religion, it's that it is to be performed in a way that is in keeping with those beliefs.
Apparently Ueshiba was pretty deep into Omoto and many claim that it colored much of his "understanding" of Aikido.

But never mind Ueshiba. Let's talk about this Bodhidharma fellow. Word has it that he deliberately combined Martial Arts and religion!

Anyone remember why a Sikh is required to carry a Kirpan (or at least a symbol of one)?

What about those Norse fellows? Apparently they liked to put religious symbols on their weapons and one of the 'gods' used a hammer!

And then there's been suggestions that Western Civ. Christian Knights from the Middle Ages used their cruciform Longswords and Arming Swords as symbolic Crosses!

OK, I admit that this is progressively more and more "out there" but it is also indisputable that some people, at some times, did, in fact, mix their religion with their martial arts.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I can state without hesitation that there are no religious ceremonies performed in my school. I'm agnostic and I require my students to be agnostic while in my school. No proselytizing, no discussion of theology, etc. I have a mixture of Christians, Muslims, Jews and heathens and we all get along just fine.
There are some martial arts which require at least a passing understanding of the social conventions in which they evolved if one is to understand the martial art. The Irish Faction Fights, which often included stick fighting, evolved in a time and place dominated by Catholic majority who were being dominated by Anglican minority, mostly Absentee Landlords. It's important to understand this is part of the context of the art.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Outside of England, the most common thing to happen is for students to take up Buddhism, or at least take a great interest. This is not bad
Depends on the sect of Buddhism, of course. Buddhists have been killing each other for a really long time and their religion didn't seem to be a particular hindrance.

As I recently wrote elsewhere, humans kill other humans, usually over access to resources. Religion just seems to be one of the common excuses.

Human's kill. It's a thing to do, like feeding Vaal.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
well if your running with that argument, hitler was a martial artist as he had big army. He was also a non religious cult of personality
You mean the argument that Peter practiced the Art of the Sword? Don't argue with me, go argue with John 18:10, Luke 22:49, and Matthew 26:51. Luke 22:36 has Jesus actually encouraging Sword Arts! :eek:

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That was some very religious stuff, and he was trained by professionals, in religious speech, and pattern; so, slow on down....

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
it depends on your definition of cult, it doesn't have to have a religion base to be a cult. But martials arts,are very much tied up with religion, whether you your self are religious or not. You are partaking in religous ceremonies
Chris Parker suggested the same thing not too long ago. When he said it, some people agreed with him. Weird. :)

I'll see if I can find that thread. I can't remember how that played out.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
TwilightZone.jpg

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Yeah. He did the BJJ.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You mean the argument that Peter practiced the Art of the Sword? Don't argue with me, go argue with John 18:10, Luke 22:49, and Matthew 26:51. Luke 22:36 has Jesus actually encouraging Sword Arts! :eek:

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

If it is the sell your cloak and buy a sword. That one is constantly taken out of context. It is supposed to be a lesson against violence. And finishes with the famous live by the sword die by the sword. Which people just leave out.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
it depends on your definition of cult, it doesn't have to have a religion base to be a cult. But martials arts,are very much tied up with religion, whether you your self are religious or not. You are partaking in religous ceremonies

Ritualistic.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If it is the sell your cloak and buy a sword. That one is constantly taken out of context. It is supposed to be a lesson against violence. And finishes with the famous live by the sword die by the sword. Which people just leave out.
indeed and the most important part, is most probably made up

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ritualistic.
yes, but originally religious rituals, the Japanese made religious ritual out of nearly anything, as to did the Chinese, and the Indians. I dont think the Brazilians did so bjj is probably religion free

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
yes, but originally religious rituals, the Japanese made religious ritual out of nearly anything, as to did the Chinese, and the Indians. I dont think the Brazilians did so bjj is probably religion free

Brazil is deeply religious.

But regardless china didnt invent martial arts.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Brazil is deeply religious.

But regardless china didnt invent martial arts.

yes but they are catholic, the Catholic's don't turn making tea into an act of worship. Most of the tma originate from Asia and they do invest religous significance in them.

all countries developed fighting system, it was the Chinese who turn them in to arts.they were scientificaly and cultural more advanced than the rest of the world for many hundreds of years

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
yes but they are catholic, the Catholic's don't turn making tea into an act of worship. Most of the tma originate from Asia and they do invest religous significance in them.

all countries developed fighting system, it was the Chinese who turn them in to arts.they were scientificaly and cultural more advanced than the rest of the world for many hundreds of years

Thats all debatable. Maby for a few hundred years there at one point. Which isnt really a major point in the 40,000 odd years of martial arts.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Suuuure it is. I've seen some quite entertaining mental gymnastics trying to claim that before. But I can always use more entertainment so, go ahead. :)

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score

You're trolling us, right?

Latest Discussions