• Yes, in the past

• Yes, my current job

• Never

Results are only viewable after voting.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Did you have a job you REALLY LIKED?? I mean if they called you to come in on an off day you would without hesitation..Just wondering...

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was living with and working for a gentleman who was attempting to start up a steel building business while he held a job/career as an engineer at the same time, and sometimes we were so short handed and far behind schedule that the two of us would on an "off day" would go in together and do what we can and he would show me this and that... I was his foreman for the several other crew members that worked for him. Unfortunately he went bust and I had to find another line of work.
I had other jobs that I liked at first for the initial few months then they sucked horribly in the last few months before I was either fired or quit out of disgust. Sometimes it's just not worth staying at a job that keeps getting worse by the week.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Aye, Museum Curator. Best job I ever had for mental stimulation and satisfaction. Sadly, fiscal renumeration was insufficient for the modern world :(.

Now I have an excellent boss, fabulous colleagues, do an important job for lots more money ... and I hate it. Everyday is stress-city and I'm getting greyer by the hour.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
The first part of my teaching career, in the 90s. Before the federal government got its hands on things with the NCLB Act (ESEA *reauthorization* under Bush). Now it's mostly something to put up with until retirement. :readrules

Plan to shepherd kids through adolescence by way of martial arts if I live through working for The Man. Especially want to reach the 40+ percent who will become dropouts otherwise. Those are the kids I actually had the freedom to help during that earlier decade.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
When I was younger I was idealistic and would come early to work stay late and come on my days off. I learned the hard way these things in America only make you sick bitter and disappointed. But I am happy now.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The first part of my teaching career, in the 90s. Before the federal government got its hands on things with the NCLB Act (ESEA *reauthorization* under Bush). Now it's mostly something to put up with until retirement. :readrules

Plan to shepherd kids through adolescence by way of martial arts if I live through working for The Man. Especially want to reach the 40+ percent who will become dropouts otherwise. Those are the kids I actually had the freedom to help during that earlier decade.

Pretty much the same for me. I absolutely loved teaching when I started - now I spend more time on paperwork and tracking data than I do with the kids; it really sucks. I still love working with the kids - but I can't do things that worked in the past because they aren't "research based", or don't use the district's "approved curriculum" (meaning someone spent a lot of money to prove that a curriculum works - never mind that it's not effective for my school's student population).

ktaylor75

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Worked as a lab assistant in the Biology department of the college I attended...thinking about changing my major to go back to school there again just so I can get my old job back!

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Three times....Deputy Chief of Maintenance Engineering, SABER Chief and Pavements Engineer at McGuire AFB. I really enjoyed my job in Iraq....but I don't think I should count that, since you can only enjoy something so much when people are shooting at you.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Three times....Deputy Chief of Maintenance Engineering, SABER Chief and Pavements Engineer at McGuire AFB. I really enjoyed my job in Iraq....but I don't think I should count that, since you can only enjoy something so much when people are shooting at you.
But on TV it looks so...you know...adventurous. :rofl:

OP
Drac

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One of my favorite 9-5 jobs was driving the armored trucks for Wells Fargo...

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The job I liked the most was working for a physical therapist. I was a part-time office girl and did front and some back office work, billing, collections, cleanup, reception, etcetera. I was the only office staff there, he was the only practitioner in the office. No politics, no conflicts ... even when we disagreed on something it was always a respectful exchange and I accepted that he was the boss.

He was also an O.M.D. and introduced me to acupuncture. He was my PT after an auto accident and was quite good at it, but I got only temporary relief from traditional modalities. He offered me two acupuncture sessions for free. I took them - and found I needed no more treatment following those two sessions.

The man was - as he said - Persian. This was in the mid-80's. I knew. He was a rare, wonderful person and I miss working for him terribly.

Peace, Dr. Firooz.

Mr G

Orange Belt
Reaction score
To me, it's the people that make a job great. I really like my job as an Pediatric ED nurse. It's quite a commute, 55 miles one way. And, I pass several community hospitals to get there. But the patients (kids) and co-workers make it worth the drive.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've had some jobs I've liked better than others, but never any I liked enough to go in on a day off.

OP
Drac

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've had some jobs I've liked better than others, but never any I liked enough to go in on a day off.

Maybe because I was a lot younger I use to go in...It was good money for driving around with millions of dollars in cash in a vehicle that could punch through a building with no swear...

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I was a professional musician for a number of years, working mostly on the road. There's nothing wrong with stumbling into a million-dollar tour bus after a gig, toss back a few beers, watch Buffy or Band of Brothers, followed by hitting the bunk and waking up in a new town. Or getting asked to do studio work, which is (to me) a big compliment, since a lot of studio work is high pressure "it's got to be perfect NOW". I got to play for some kind of big crowds (I think 15k was the biggest), and had a lot of fun. However, contrary to popular belief, being in a band on the road is probably the worst possible way to meet girls (it's almost futile really), unless you're famous. Very little boom-boom for Yours Truly during my tour bus years. :( But other than that, it was great. Though I have to admit, having spent a lot of time travelling about as a musician, American and British girls are just awesome... way more friendly than their Canadian counterparts. Just sayin'. :)

Best regards,

-Mark

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I had a part-time job with a local aquarium for a while, where I would come in and climb into the big tanks on full scuba, and clean the tanks and feed the animals. I got to swim with the sharks and bat rays, it was pretty cool. I guess I must have liked it, because I worked there on Saturdays and Sundays in addition to my full time job during the week. I had to be there around 6:00 am, to get the cleaning done before they opened to the public.

Problem was, we were underpaid, I had to use my own scuba equipment so wear-and-tear was my own expense, and the executive management of the aquarium was irresponsible and this lead to the deaths of a lot of the animals. They were so concerned with the bottom-line dollar cost of everything that they cut a lot of corners in giving the animals proper care, and this lead to many of them dying.

After a while, I got burned out and disillusioned with the situation, so I left. But for a while, it was very cool.

Latest Discussions