Ebay Fake Certificates

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Am I reading this right? Do MA instructors in the US not need a licence to teach? Do you not need to be licenced and affiliated with an organization that supports/recognises your chosen art? How about insurance and public liability cover?

In the UK, for as long as I have been an instructor, I have needed to be fully licenced and insured under my associations I am involved with. I need to show these documents to any venue I wish to use to teach in or conduct seminars etc. Am I missing something here?

Xue Sheng, you say those teachers would not teach if they had to be licenced? Why is that?
It strikes me as very odd that one can go around teaching people how to maim and even kill, and not need a licence for it. You do require firearms licences etc?

Excuse my ignorance, I am just unaware of the rules and regs of US law regarding MA teaching and I am finding this fascinating.

Thanks in advance

Regards
John
I can't speak for everywhere in the US... but generally, there's no need to be connected to an association or licensed by the local government beyond the basic licenses and occupancy permits involved in opening any business. Some properties may require insurance, but you don't need to get that through an organization -- just an insurance company.

Unfortunately, that also holds true for the martial arts schools that essentially offer day care services under the guise of a "before and after school martial arts program." But you can read my views on that in lots of other threads...

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Am I reading this right? Do MA instructors in the US not need a licence to teach?...

It strikes me as very odd that one can go around teaching people how to maim and even kill, and not need a licence for it...

Excuse my ignorance, I am just unaware of the rules and regs of US law regarding MA teaching and I am finding this fascinating.

Whoa, dude!!! I'm getting a bit of trans-Atlantic culture shock myself, here. Of course you can teach without an association certification or "license" here in the States. As far as liability insurance goes, you'd be an idiot not to have coverage in this suit-happy society.

Regarding certification in the UK, how do you guys deal with someone who is independent? An individual who teaches something very little-known and who isn't part of any organization? Or, what about the guy who has split off from his parent organization and gone off on his own? Or an experienced martial artist who has devised his own teaching method based on what he has learned? These are not hypothetical questions at all. I personally know instructors in each of these categories. Do you have such people teaching in the UK?

And secondly, judging from the way government bureaucracies generally bozo things up, at least here in the US, how do you make it work fairly and efficiently over there?

You know, this should be a topic for it's own thread. I think I'll start one in the "General MA" department. I'll look for you there.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
As a side note, since his military discharge certificate have an offical looking name, signature, title, etc I reported the link to headquarters marine corps.

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Again this is why I say it is best for a school to be part of a association and thus recognized. Most importantly it is the students responsibility to research the school and not just show and start taking classes. One of the reasons I love this forum so much, your collective expertise helped me to come to my decision based on your input about my schools lineage. A serious journey into MA should have serious preparation aka research before you jump in. If every MA potential student did this, alot of McDojo's would lose out and close their doors.

Haze

Blue Belt
Reaction score
You have fakes with fake certs and you have fakes with real certs.
True or not?

We need to run our lives, schools and all we do with some integrity.

The house made of cards (certs) will always fold.

OP
K Williams

K Williams

Blue Belt
Reaction score
As a side note, since his military discharge certificate have an offical looking name, signature, title, etc I reported the link to headquarters marine corps.

Maybe some Force Recon types will pay him a nice visit! :D

Darkmoon

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Let them sell their piece of paper. Dojos may want it for their own use in their school.

Or some duchbag out their wants to look cool in front of people, but a piece of paper won't give you the years of training the rest of us have. When those people walk into a Dojo showing their paper they will get embarrassed and look like a fool if they don't get their butt beat in sparing.

People are always going to make forgeries of everything. Only those who are well trained can spot them.

I wouldn’t worry about it, but if you want to try and get them removed be my guest. I won't stop you, or speak ill of you.