Dux Ryu

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brian R. VanCise said:
That is one of the very nice things here on MartialTalk is that we have a link with people living and training in Japan that also speak and read the language fluently. That certainly helps to clear up any confusion.

Now if we can just get Kizaru to come on here more and post some of his wisdom! :asian:

Don, the next time I am in Japan I will definately look you up for some training as well as a cold one. (I'm buying) My plans were ruined this year but I am all set for next summer!

Brian R. VanCise
www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com
Summer? Next year? My plans for DKS got derailed in the last few weeks, so have postponed my trip until next summer also.

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
As someone who speaks Japanese, I will give my reason for saying why "jitsu" is wrong and not just another way of saying the same thing.

There are two main systems for writing Japanese. The national and Hepbourne system. I hate the national systems with a passion but it is taught in schools here. In that system, you write sounds like "tsu" as "tu" and a sound that would sound like "chee" in English is written "chi" or "ti" in the two systems. So in this case, either would be considered acceptable, "ninjutsu" or "ninjutu." A Japanese looking at the word and translating it back into Japanese would get it correct.

But a Japanese looking at "ninjitsu" would translate it back just like that and not as the word is originally in Japanese. That could cause some problems and has caused quite a bit of mirth in my experience. It is kind of like a Japanese trying to say "election" but writing it like they would in katakana with no difference between L and R- and that has happened before.

So for the sake of getting it correct and recognizable to a Japanese speaker, I would think you would want to differentiate between Ji and Ju as much as possible.

Good stuff...I've been meaning to ask that question...never got around to it.

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
If I could please respond in a manner totaly opposite of what Don said, even tho he is surely right... but this is my take.

U cud rite liek ths I c it all the time now c you understand the werdz n evrything but r u sure its the best way?

Ninjutsu/Ninjitsu reads the same way to me. To me, One way is "english" and the other way is "I cant spell simple words like you, see, and are".

Interesting. Thanks for the info! :asian:

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
Summer? Next year? My plans for DKS got derailed in the last few weeks, so have postponed my trip until next summer also.

Hey Dave,

Sorry to hear that your plans got derailed as well. I will be probably going the end of June/beginning of July! When I get there I plan to train at least two times a day with a little sight seeing on the side if possible.
You are always welcome to hang out with us if we are there at the same time.

Brian R. VanCise
www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
It is amazing that this guy seems to be a fraud. You know at least JCVD was a true point fighting champ on the European team. Now, I know this may sound stupid but I gotta ask anyway. I thought that Ninjutsu was more a less a dead art or system like the samurai did.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
matt.m said:
It is amazing that this guy seems to be a fraud. You know at least JCVD was a true point fighting champ on the European team. Now, I know this may sound stupid but I gotta ask anyway. I thought that Ninjutsu was more a less a dead art or system like the samurai did.

Not at all. We have a whole forum section here dedicated to traditional Ninjutsu. Just start lurking and read all about it.

newtothe dark

Purple Belt
Reaction score
One has to look for reality not movie based reality such things are for entertainment not what one should base life on. IMHO

Latest Discussions