During pandemic lockdown have you found any new hobbies or things that you really enjoy doing?

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Rather than have folks believe I’ve been terribly productive during this time, I’ve balanced my DIY projects nicely with some extra gaming.
Me... I’ve been terribly unproductive at home :)

My wife is very grateful for all the OT I’ve been putting in, and shockingly hasn’t complained about my lack of help with the household chores lately. It would probably be a different story if she wasn’t home all day with the kids though. But I’ll gladly act a little more tired than usual, sit on the couch longer and play it up just a little bit. It’s a balancing act and somehow I’ve found the right balance for the time being :)

It’s supposed to rain on my “weekend” (Monday and Tuesday). No escaping and taking my time with yard cleanup while I pretend to keep an eye on the girls while they’re outside with me. Maybe I’ll organize the garage all weekend. It’s still an obstacle course from the move.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
They first told us we were going work from home....then put us in charge of security of an isolation center...so I am working.

Our friend that fights professionally and owns a gymn is sending out daily workouts to his fighters...he added Jacob to the group.

Jacob talked his mom into doing the workouts with him......next day she basically couldn't move due to being sore....lol. We will see if she tries again. (The workouts are pretty intense, she only made it half way through the 2nd round)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
On a whim, I wrote a survival guide back in the seventies, all tongue in cheek I assure you. But I found it the other day and decided to take some of my own advice.

So I'm making a chicken soup.

ChickenStock.jpg

And cookies from Magic butter.

Butter.jpg

Here's to an interesting day. Cheers!

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
you got any chicken in there, too?!

At that point, no. Chicken, already cooked, was on the side.

But as of now....there’s a great, big pot o’ soup. And some matzah, a nice loaf of Rye bread, wine....and der cookies.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Catching up on a lot of house maintenance, replaced some old wood, cleaning and painting, cleaning out a lot of stuff we've had in storage but not used for years. Still working cardio and strength.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

But as of now....there’s a great, big pot o’ soup. And some matzah, a nice loaf of Rye bread, wine....and der cookies.
I need to bake. I’ve had some ingredients set aside. Time to use ‘em. I think some spice cookies, pumpkin muffins and some sort of bread. Don’t tell the Hobbit.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Die Kekse!
email me a plate!

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
During pandemic lock down have you found any new hobbies or things that you really enjoy doing? Or old hobbies or passions that you now have time to start again?

During this virus lock down and social distancing that pretty much puts most martial arts in a category of things not to do. At least no sparring or classes with other people. So what do you do in your free time that gives you joy? Looking for some tips for myself
Picked up Borderlands 3 so I can play with my adult kids. Made a couple of batches of soap. I'm having fun with making things smell antibacterial. While there are essential oils that can help with this, all soap does the job. But I've found that using certain smells makes people feel better.

Wishing I had a kiln and wheel at home. Started learning to throw pottery about 5 months ago. While I'm terrible at it, I wish I had the stuff at home to work on it. I could spend a lot of time happily creating mugs, bowls, etc that are slightly misshapen and oddly sized. :D

Last edited:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Well I had planned on spending 2 weeks playing my guitar again during knee surgery recovery, started a week before. Then when the knee surgery was postponed I stopped. Well,, not being in a (told to do it) voluntary quarantine due to possible exposure to Covid 19....I'm sitting here listening to old blues songs and I think I might just pick the guitar up again and start playing to fill my free time between sets of taijiquan and exercising.

Played for over 20 years and then one day just stopped.....

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Well I had planned on spending 2 weeks playing my guitar again during knee surgery recovery, started a week before. Then when the knee surgery was postponed I stopped. Well,, not being in a (told to do it) voluntary quarantine due to possible exposure to Covid 19....I'm sitting here listening to old blues songs and I think I might just pick the guitar up again and start playing to fill my free time between sets of taijiquan and exercising.

Am I the only one who immediately thought of the scene from Forrest Gump?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Die Kekse!
email me a plate!

What does that translate to, please?

Have to be careful with the cookies, I left some for Santa once.

He hasn’t left my house in nine years.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They first told us we were going work from home....then put us in charge of security of an isolation center...so I am working.

Our friend that fights professionally and owns a gymn is sending out daily workouts to his fighters...he added Jacob to the group.

Jacob talked his mom into doing the workouts with him......next day she basically couldn't move due to being sore....lol. We will see if she tries again. (The workouts are pretty intense, she only made it half way through the 2nd round)

I don't know what time it would be where you are but Joe Wicks ( a fitness instructor well known over here) does a morning half hour PE session live on You Tube. it's meant to be for children but lots of families are joining in and he gives a shout to them via his brother, it's not intensive and it extremely good fun so your other half might enjoy that more to start off with. the are on Mon-Fri and they are recorded so you can do them in your own time. It's a very good 'starting' point for those who don't usually do fitness. Lots of people all around the world joining it. How to watch Joe Wicks' live YouTube PE sessions and when are they on? | Metro News

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score

That's awesome Xue, had no idea you played :). Any particular styles of music you like playing?

Latest Discussions