Doubts about your own art?

J W

Green Belt
Reaction score
Im only white belt...

In that case, I would say that at this point you don't really know much of anything about the art you are training in. No way to know if it is for you unless you spend some time in it and learn a thing or two about it.

If you still have doubts after earning a belt or two, then go try some other styles. At least then you'll actually have a basis for comparison.

OP
S

SacredCoconut

Orange Belt
Reaction score
That is one reason i'm skeptical about my doubts. I know i don't have much information, thats why i was asking if other people had same kinda doubts.

Still i'm going to go look some TKD and aikido(i find the idea interesting) schools. The place i do karate is close to me and other little farther awey, so if i don't find something i realy like more i'm not gonna change. Hopefuly looking other schools makes the doubt go awey or confirms my doubts

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That is one reason i'm skeptical about my doubts. I know i don't have much information, thats why i was asking if other people had same kinda doubts.

Still i'm going to go look some TKD and aikido(i find the idea interesting) schools. The place i do karate is close to me and other little farther awey, so if i don't find something i realy like more i'm not gonna change. Hopefuly looking other schools makes the doubt go awey or confirms my doubts

Coconut

I would suggest that you really think about what your goals are, what do you want to get out of the training, what is important to you, what your core needs are. Then look at some schools with that clarity in mind. This way you might be able to make a choice on the art and feel comfortable that it is a good fit for you. From the sounds of it, you are unsure of your choice of schools because it sounds like you didn't do any research and just picked one that seemed familiar to the TKD you did when you were younger. Likewise when you find something that you don't agree with (like the stances, or the blocking and punching combinations) then you start second guessing things again and the self doubts start turning inward.

It's like during a belt test when you make a mistake and the self doubt creeps in and then you make two mistakes, then three, and pretty soon you question should I even be here etc. etc. when you are just caving into your fears and doubts. This is a powerful force and I've seen it totally take over a student on a test before, heck I've done it myself.

Don't give into the fear, or the self doubt. Instead analyze what you are looking for in a school, or a style, and what needs you must have to be met(i.e. travel time, finances etc. etc.). Then select a school from there. Realize you are new to your current school, new to the art, and you don't know virtually anything (which can be a good thing).

First it is important for you to decide what it is that you are looking for, otherwise you might fall victim to signing on for the best sales technique, the lowest price, the newest dojo, or my favorite training with the ALL American or Pan American Champion. None of which may address your core needs. Likewise an arts or a school's impressive linage, or the instructor's rank etc. etc. isn't the main thing either.

You mentioned that you were going to check out TKD, depending upon the school/style it could be very similar to what you are currently studying. The aikido could be a lot of fun if you enjoy rolling, throwing and falling. However if you have issues with taking falls that might not be a good fit. If you are looking for self defense than both of these schools could teach SD skills but they might be byproducts of the curriculum not the main focus. Likewise you might go to a MMA gym and be taught several arts get a good workout and again still not meet your SD goals because the gym is teaching sports.

However your current school might be teaching karate but from a more combative type or SD attitude, like teaching applications to the katas than involve all sorts of nasty stuff, however you will miss out on that opportunity because you didn't understand what that school is about before you discounted it. If you take a look at the more traditional styles or katas you are going to question stances because it is training, not that you are going to fight like that. Decide what it is that you want and then talk with the instructor and see if the school is a good fit, but know your goals first.

MantisTLK

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am amazed at the quality and depth in some of the replies of this thread, given for a complete stranger, and a new comer to martial arts. I sort of gave up hope on the majority of humanity, but then again I guess I'm not praising the average audience. Thank you, today has been an encouraging day. Good luck on your quest coconut :D

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have people here had doubts if the art they train is there right one for them?

I train karate in nice place and its fun, but still i'm person that normaly doubts his decisions. I did not even try other ones as it had lot of thing i liked from taekwondo (did when i was younger) and i'm interested in japanese culture.

There is already lot of posts about doing different arts, but still id like to know if i decide to try other arts how/when should i do it and did others feel this way in beginning. (Yeah i know its close to my own post as well)

IMO, I wouldn't make it a habit to jump from one thing to the next, to the next, to the next. I feel that by doing that, you become a jack of all trades, master of none. Now, to clarify, I'm for cross training, but I also feel that you should have a solid base. Is it normal to question things? Absolutely! I've done it before and I still do it. I've had many doubts about things. Sadly, there is ALOT of crap out there, thats being passed off as quality. Now, the people that're buying into that crap, are either clueless to it, or they acknowledge it, but just dont care. Many times, when crap was being taught, I'd just file that away..lol.

WingChunIan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I would suggest that you really think about what your goals are, what do you want to get out of the training, what is important to you, what your core needs are. Then look at some schools with that clarity in mind. This way you might be able to make a choice on the art and feel comfortable that it is a good fit for you.
Took the words right out of my mouth.
SC - you need to sit down and think about what you want from your martial art, think about the things that you enjoyed about TKD and the reasons (the real ones) that you left. Be honest with yourself and think about the less obvious stuff (the social side, the training environment, the teaching style, how you want to feel after training etc) as well as the obvious martial arts stuff. Once you are clear on what you want the decision will be much easier.
You will have to face the fact that your previous experience has influenced your thinking and your body and so anything different is going to seem weird. Unless you want to go back to TKD (nothing wrong with that- but why did you stop before?) you will have to be prepared to let go of what you have learned before.
I've done lots of martial arts over the years, I have always had a clear understanding of my motivation for training, when doubts arise I also look to see if there is an answer within the system and if not I change. I did a TKD derivative for years and left because I realised it had limitations in practical application and because of the financial arrangements of the organisation. Similarly I have studied Aikido for 2yrs (left because of lack of practicality), BJJ 3mths (left because of club environment) and MT 6 yrs(left because an incident convinced me it was a young man's game) but have moved on and finally settled on Wing Chun. I wish I had found Wing Chun earlier in my life but in all honesty training in martial arts is a journey and had I studied Wing Chun when I was younger, I would not have known what I know know, it may well not have suited me so well and my path could well have been very different.
Find something that meets your needs and give it a go. Martial arts are like marriage, some people can marry their high school sweetheart and be happy for ever but for most people it takes being a little bit older and wiser to find your perfect match.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth I think it's best to achieve black belt (or equivalent) in any given art before moving on to a different art. Stances that feel uncomfortable today become more comfortable with repetition.

OP
S

SacredCoconut

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I stopped TKD, because i was young, and i was bad at doing enything for longer period. Still biggest reason was that i have alweys had bad sleeping habits and i was alweys extremly sleepy after school (did not feel like training). At least that is the reason i think i stopped.

Place i trained TKD had lot of different training and i feel like the place i'm at the moment is more focused. In reality lot of schools, may actuly be realy different, and i'm not sure if the school is still running (at least no website or much information).

I have alredy decided to keep training at the place for now, so keeping this thread going dosen't matter. But still after all this, i could tell my reasons. I want to train MA to get in to better shape, have somthing to accomplice, better things to do with my time, in time meaby something i can be proud of, its cool :bangahead:. So i don't think the style matters that much, but ofc i want the style i feel like suits me. Meaby after while i start likeing low stances and punches, and start hateing kicking.

rainesr

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I had doubts and I started looking at different arts and finally I was at a class and realized I finally found what I was looking for in a martial art. Explore your options, make the best choice you can in your area and run with it.

~Rob

Latest Discussions