Don't mess with Texas: More Americans moving in

Jenny_in_Chico

Black Belt
Reaction score
Lot of gangs in SA, and it isn't as clean a town as Austin or even Dallas metro.

I miss Texas. :( I miss the way people interact with one another, naturally friendly and open to everyone. People are fairly friendly here in NorCal, but usually in response to me being friendly first.

I remember spending 6 weeks in New York a few years ago. I was living in Queens, and my dealings with the shopkeepers would go something like this:

1. I approach the counter.
2. Shopkeeper remains silent and busy doing something, trying to ignore the fact that a customer is waiting.
3. I would greet the shopkeeper, and he would look up and I would smile and look into his eyes and tell him what I wanted, and he would light up like a Christmas tree and fall all over himself giving it to me, usually with something else thrown in as extra. This was not in response to the way I look (because he had already seen me and dismissed me) but the way I engaged with him.

Which demonstrated an important fact to me: genuine friendliness can be a powerful tool in disarming the apathy or misanthropy of another.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bill, be nice.

Jenny, I've usually found politeness works, but sometimes the person behind the counter's a jerk. That's been nationwide though. I've found nicer folks across the south than the north though.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well I aint rubbing his tummy. Bears bite. :D

And I still plan on moving there ASAP. The lower quantity of snow alone is appealing.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Texas is beautiful and Texans are cool too!
icon6.gif

Latest Discussions