Don't mess with Texas: More Americans moving in

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Texas, for example, never went through the boom-and-bust housing cycle that devastated the Sand States. Home prices remained affordable, and the state's unemployment rate was 8% in October, a full two percentage points below the national average.So, it's no surprise that Texas added more than 3.9 million residents during the 2000s. Its population also grew by the greatest number of people (478,000) during the 12 months ended July 1.

http://money.cnn.com/2009/12/23/real_estate/fastest_growing_states/index.htm

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
They have a few things NY doesn't.
Low taxes, a somewhat more competent government, jobs, new homes at affordable rates, and 200+ outdoor shooting days in warm weather.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Got it covered. it will instantly become the awesomest state in the country once I am a resident.

I am not sure even your awesomeness will be able to float that boat. The place has Chuck Norris and Kinky Friedman and it's still all Texasish.

Seriously, if I owned Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I might have to go with Bill on this. Texans tend to be asses...

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Seriously, if I owned Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas.

The guy bashing Texas has been watching Chronicles way to much.

I am with Jenny, Andy and Bob, the place is wonderful and will be even better if I can move there.

I just need to find a way to move down there before my wife see that it is not a vacation and is for the long haul.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I might have to go with Bill on this. Texans tend to be asses...

Dang it Don! I shoulda checked out your profile. I thought you were a Texan!!!

Now don't take that personal. Some of my best friends are Texans.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Texas is not bad but the obs are getting harder to find and they are laying off alot

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Problem with a large influx into any place, it risks tipping the balance. Reason to head there now is low real estate costs, and a booming economy. Too many newbs, prices rise, and jobs become scarce causing higher unemployment rates and creating a strain on social services.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Problem with a large influx into any place, it risks tipping the balance. Reason to head there now is low real estate costs, and a booming economy. Too many newbs, prices rise, and jobs become scarce causing higher unemployment rates and creating a strain on social services.

My family moved from Illinois to Colorado when I was 12. I loved growing up in Colorado. It was 'the West' in a very real sense. Denver was known as a 'cow town' and I thought that was just fine.

However, Colorado is beautiful and the skiing is great, so a lot of Californians decided to move there when California's economy tanked for the first time, in the late 1980's.

They came in such abundance that home prices skyrocketed. They came in such abundance that they began to dominate local school boards and their politics began to affect local elections.

In short, Colorado became California in many ways.

I don't care much for it these days. My friends live there and I love to visit, but it's not the place I remember. And not just because it 'grew up' but because it took on a very liberal attitude that I find ugly. Boulder used to be called "The People's Republic of Boulder" because they were such a liberal bastion in a conservative state. No longer.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's my fear for TX. I want to move away from NY, not take it with me.

Jenny_in_Chico

Black Belt
Reaction score
Austin is pretty liberal, with the University (my alma mater) and all the young computer people. However, there is the rest of Texas, including Dallas and Houston, which are conservative.

I myself am a free thinker, so I can go anywhere and manage to offend almost everyone. :D

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I liked Austin, thought San Antonio was decent too. Next trip down I'll be checking out the Kyle-Buda areas.

Latest Discussions