Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8412603.stm

Armchair deputies enlisted to patrol US-Mexico border

By Claire Prentice
New York

When John Spears gets home from his sales job in New York, he sits down at his computer with a bottle of beer and starts patrolling the US border.
And to do it, he does not need to stir from his sofa.
He is one of tens of thousands of people around the world who are volunteering to patrol the 1250-mile long (2000 km) stretch between Texas and Mexico via the web.
The controversial $4m (£2.5m) Texas Virtual Border Watch Programme invites civilians to log on to Blueservo.net.
There they can monitor live feeds 24/7 from 21 hidden surveillance cameras placed at intervals along the border.
Supporters see the initiative as a step forward in US efforts to curb illegal immigration, drug smuggling and border violence.
Critics say it is encouraging vigilantism and stoking anti-immigrant feeling.

Now, frankly, I cannot see how it can be encouraging vigilantism. These people can't do anything more than observe and report, can they?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wasn't there a thread on here a while ago, about some guy, I think from Texas, who was tired of the illegals damaging his property, so he attempted to detain them, ended up shooting one, I think, and all hell broke loose, with the guy being charged with some crime?

Anyways...as for this....IMO, the boarder patrol could use all they help they can get. I'd hope and imagine that there would or should be something in the lines of rules, put into place, for these people, as far as what they can and can't do, and I dont belive they'll be sworn LEOs. Being vigilanties....thats laughable.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What's a guy in an armchair gonna do when he sees someone sneaking across? Troll him? Throw a LOLcat at them? Twitter them to death?

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wasn't there a thread on here a while ago, about some guy, I think from Texas, who was tired of the illegals damaging his property, so he attempted to detain them, ended up shooting one, I think, and all hell broke loose, with the guy being charged with some crime?

Anyways...as for this....IMO, the boarder patrol could use all they help they can get. I'd hope and imagine that there would or should be something in the lines of rules, put into place, for these people, as far as what they can and can't do, and I dont belive they'll be sworn LEOs. Being vigilanties....thats laughable.

Right! Well, I went to the website listed:

http://www.blueservo.net/

Basically, they're just gathering volunteer eyes. They've got the cameras, they just need someone to look at them 24/7. I can't see the harm in that.

Heck, it seems innovative to me. Gives people something to do who like to do that sort of thing; basically puts the nosy neighbors to work doing good.

When I worked in LE, we had a lady who used to call CONSTANTLY about this or that complaint. Illegally-parked cars, loud parties, etc. She was one of those ladies always at the blinds peering out, ready to dial 911. She would also file official complaints if she didn't get a prompt response!

However, she did see a burglary in progress at a neighbor's house, reported it, and we caught them in the act. What can you say? A nosy neighbor can be your best friend, even if they can be a PITA. Put them to work doing this - what could be wrong with it?

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What's a guy in an armchair gonna do when he sees someone sneaking across? Troll him? Throw a LOLcat at them? Twitter them to death?

Apparently the problem is a technological one. Cameras are fine, but they just record what you point them at. And software is not yet advanced enough to know the difference between movement and movement that might be something naughty going on; red light cameras are about the limit as far as technology is concerned just yet. Human brains are useful in this context, and it appears they found a way to get human eyes and brains on the problem. If they see something, they report it. Their report gets evaluated and may result in law enforcement activity.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
SO what happens? They deploy the guys in the armchairs to the field, wandering around poking at anything that moves asking "you mexican?" or do they deploy properly trained & equipped law enforcement officials should a trained team at a central location determine there's need?

Cuz, if it's the later then what's the problem, and if it's the former I can think of a few of our members who'd jump at the chance to "test" their "L33t skliz". LOL

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Right! Well, I went to the website listed:

http://www.blueservo.net/

Basically, they're just gathering volunteer eyes. They've got the cameras, they just need someone to look at them 24/7. I can't see the harm in that.

Heck, it seems innovative to me. Gives people something to do who like to do that sort of thing; basically puts the nosy neighbors to work doing good.

Yes, after reading that, I got the same impression. Unless I missed it, I didn't see anything about them being armed, although seeing that this is Tx., and I'm not sure about the gun laws there, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the people still carried, although it seems they're not supposed to engage anyone.

When I worked in LE, we had a lady who used to call CONSTANTLY about this or that complaint. Illegally-parked cars, loud parties, etc. She was one of those ladies always at the blinds peering out, ready to dial 911. She would also file official complaints if she didn't get a prompt response!

However, she did see a burglary in progress at a neighbor's house, reported it, and we caught them in the act. What can you say? A nosy neighbor can be your best friend, even if they can be a PITA. Put them to work doing this - what could be wrong with it?

LOL, oh yes, I deal with those folks too. And likewise, some of the stuff they've called in, has led to some arrests, so in the end, while they may be PITAs, they are a help too. :)

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
SO what happens? They deploy the guys in the armchairs to the field, wandering around poking at anything that moves asking "you mexican?" or do they deploy properly trained & equipped law enforcement officials should a trained team at a central location determine there's need?

Cuz, if it's the later then what's the problem, and if it's the former I can think of a few of our members who'd jump at the chance to "test" their "L33t skliz". LOL

Um, Bob, did you actually read the news story or check out the links? No offense, but the story explains all that.

The 'armchair deputies' are located everywhere around the globe; just volunteers who look at the cameras. If they see something they've been told to look for (example: "During the day if you see four or five young men in a boat report this activity. At night if you see vehicle, boat and or people movement report this activity.") then they report it. Real LE evaluates the reports that come in and decide how or if they should respond.

The only downside I can see to this is if people send in lots of false sightings, which could sap LE resources checking out the video feed. But I imagine that they will quickly get that sorted and find out who's reliable and who's not. Just a guess, though.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bill, you missed my sarcastic agreement of your opening statement in my comments.

Latest Discussions