Don't Call Me Grandmaster

Harley Quinn

White Belt
Reaction score
Could someone be so kind as to direct me to the page or post that will clairify this.

As far as Grand Master goes it is fine, I was alway's of the opinion that the title 'Great Grand Master' was for the non living. Is Senior Grand Master unacceptable?

Harley

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Doc said:
Changing My Title for the General Public
Doc Fei Wong
May 12, 2004

Shall I keep the Grandmaster title for the public? If you have something which sounds good, suitable for my position and also can be humble to the public, please send it to: ••••••[email protected]

How about "The Martial Artist formerly known as Grand Master"?

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Doc said:
Doc Fei Wong
May 12, 2004

Shall I keep the Grandmaster title for the public? If you have something which sounds good, suitable for my position and also can be humble to the public, please send it to: ••••••[email protected]

Now that's funny! My email address has been [email protected] for about 9 or 10 years now... I never gave it a thought as it was just something to use. I didn't even know it was a problem for some until the forums began to proliferate, and folks who had never met me or heard of me thought I was using it and it really only belonged to one most famous, and certainly deserving, Kenpo instructor, who shall remain nameless. :)

Interestingly, I still use it as email name, never think of it as a title, and prefer my students to call me Dan or Mr. Farmer... Oh... Like Doc, there's one or two that can call me, "Big Daddy", "Poppa" or "Oh you big handsome hunk of manlitude"... I find I answer to those appelations with gusto and not as much speed as I once possessed. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh, I think we all have someone who calls us "Big Daddy"...I don't see the issue here. If there's no tradition in the art, the lead dog should make one!

B

BlackIce

My Soldiers called me " Sarge ", My Pilots called me " Chief " ( Crew Chief in ARMY Aviation Terms ), As a CQC Instructor I was " Black Hat ", My friends call Me " Tyrone ", My daughter calls me " DADA ", My Wife calls me " Everything But a Child of God :) ", My students Call me " Sensei or Sifu " ( Jap. or Chinese for Teacher or giver of Instruction). Its all the same word ........ Respect ! Sir works fine for me.

ammonihah99

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey how about GrandMISTER?

Get it?

It's like a mix between Grandmaster and Mister!

Get it?

— Ammon

P.S. Hello Dr. Chapél. Thought I'd let you know that I'm one of Jon Duke's students. We've met before, but it was five or six years ago. Just wanted to say hi and that I really appreciate your posts (and humor).

OP
Doc

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
ammonihah99 said:
Hey how about GrandMISTER?

Get it?

It's like a mix between Grandmaster and Mister!

Get it?

— Ammon

P.S. Hello Dr. Chapél. Thought I'd let you know that I'm one of Jon Duke's students. We've met before, but it was five or six years ago. Just wanted to say hi and that I really appreciate your posts (and humor).
Well thank you and please say Hi to the very busy Jon Duke for me please. Post more often and dive into the discussions.

"They used to call me crazy Joe, now they can call me Bat-Man!"

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Doc said:
Well thank you and please say Hi to the very busy Jon Duke for me please. Post more often and dive into the discussions.

"They used to call me crazy Joe, now they can call me Bat-Man!"

Having been cogitatin' on this for some long time now, I have come to the conclusion that they (whoever that may be) can call me anything, except late for dinner. :burp:

OP
Doc

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Goldendragon7 said:
Right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So who's bringing the tacos?

hee hee
GD

WARNING, WARNING, DANGER WILL ROBISON : Do not go to an all you can eat buffet with either of the "gentlmen."

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Speaking of...

I would love a phone call from you Doc, and you Oh Golden Dragon.

I fried my hard drive and all phone numbers and most email addys are gone.

Thanks, and Merry Christmas to everyone!

Dan

ps: I challenge Doc and Golden One to a showdown at a Chinese Buffet!
Chopsticks, iced tea, sweet and sour pork at 20 paces! :boing2:
:ninja: <-- My personal chopstick Manservant!

:lool: :roflmao:

Kalicombat

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hey Sigung, how bout me? Ive been know to do some damage at some Chinese buffets myself. Now I only go after the veggie and meat stir frys, and crab claws when available, but I can still get the attention of a buffet owner. LOL. My favorite local haunt has a mongolian BBQ buffet as well, and I can control exactly what goes into my dish. MMMMMM SHRIMP!!

Gary C.

jazkiljok

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Doc said:
Doc Fei Wong
May 12, 2004

When the MC announces all of the instructors, they all have a title, but I am just a Mister or Doctor, in this situation for sure is not good for our students that I am there to represent them. For me it does not matter, but I can not be selfish in my humility and make all the students look or sound like their Grandmaster is a nobody in public events.

---

selfish in his humility? that's pretty funny- but if he said that being called DOCTOR DOC, or Doc Doc for short-- well i could see that being an issue... i'm surprised that he's worried so much about maintaining the lofty stature that his students have placed upon him.

titles aren't impressing anyone but the fools anyway.

OP
Doc

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
jazkiljok said:
selfish in his humility? that's pretty funny- but if he said that being called DOCTOR DOC, or Doc Doc for short-- well i could see that being an issue... i'm surprised that he's worried so much about maintaining the lofty stature that his students have placed upon him.

titles aren't impressing anyone but the fools anyway.
Reminds me of the saying: "If you can't dazzle them with science, blind them with Bull S."

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
Doc said:
Doc Fei Wong
May 12, 2004

I am thinking about taking a humble title to replace the term "grandmaster" in the general public. I received suggested titles such as: Founding Director, Federation President, Chief Director Instructor, Executive Director Instructor, Chief Executive Instructor, Professor in Chief, Chief Scholar, Principal Scholar, Chief Coach, Keeper of the Hu Yuen Chou System and many more... Some of my students have asked me not to change the title Grandmaster.

I asked Mr. Khu Chen Yong and he thinks for a senior teacher of Kungfu, the title Tai Laoshu or Tai Sinsiang is good. Both could be interpreted as head teacher or high teacher.

Latest Discussions