Doing more than one discipline.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Depends on the individual and what he wants to gain/learn.

It should be two different that can work together. (Judo/Karate) Hayward Nishioka is a good example. Research his training.

Many of us had started in one art and for some reasons...had to start over in something else (Sensi's quit/move). We take what we learn we us, adapt to the NEW STYLE.

Now trying to learn two different things at the same time is possible, because we have the brains to learn more than one thing at a time...remember school(math, science,english,history) .....playing sports in PE, football,baseball,soccer,tennis,bowling...we were all able to adapt to each season.

To limit one's selve and not learning about other Martial arts is to limit one's training.

Mix martial arts? ..they have to learn to box,grapple,throws,kick,choke holds and so on....most of them have a speciality...but had to learn/train in their weakness to become better overall.

A pro golfer does not stay with one trainer all their lifes...to get better you will need to seek...better trainers....or never become better.

Coaches in all sports...can make difference between winning and a losing season. If you limit yourself to one thing only? ....or only one teacher? ....you will only learn what he knows? ...Do you agree.

In our Kempo we have takedowns in alot of techniques...taking JUDO has improve my performance and more knowledge in applying the princples of throws. Because our Instructors do NOT have ALL the knowledge.

One teacher? ...One martial art learned? ....maybe enough....BUT one can always learn NEW WAYS.

If one teacher or one art is all you need? ....that's OK! BUT the whole world can teach you more than one way fighting!

The best thing is to try a NEW martial art style that is NOT directly related to yours and experience something different. Most of us train 2-3 days a week...use the other days to experience something different? You may find yourself leaving your own style behind..because of the excitment of something different. (one will always remember where they came from and keep what they learned!)

Just my thoughts....NO reget's learning more different arts.!

megat

Orange Belt
Reaction score
well i study 4 kinds of silat, and also study some tkd and boxing. as for me i like studying MA so i dun mind the work and also i can mix and match technique. as for managing it i just make sure it is not in the same night, that would be ok.

Latest Discussions