Does your art involve Ki?

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
It is talked about at my school occasionally, being pointed out here and there, in exercises, or when your hands are shaking during the workout. However, people don't seem to be into that, or take it with a grain of salt. It's usually just training. I guess it's a matter of progression towards enlightenment, and where one is on the path.

Apollo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Not in my art no, but some of the stuff I've cross trained into does delve into it more or less. Interesting concepts though.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Cuong Nhu does. Mostly in the upper ranks (about the last third to black belt and up). We also do Kiai's. Sometimes called a 'shout' in tkd and the like. That is were they came from. The belief is that the shout (which should come from the lower abdominal area) sorta works like turning off the breach valve on a dam. All the water (ki) comes surging out, and is nearly unstoppable. John

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
In a sense, but I don't believe chi exists :)

to make that clearer... a lot of the same principles/effects attributed to chi will be used in any art, but are explained differently.

Same way one can use the "solid dome of the heavens" for navigation, and yet know that the stars are not all on a dome equall distance from us and rotating around us.

Same result, same observation, different explanation.

people think of 'chi' as a voodoo thing. some kind of a mystery.
in old times people realized it's there but did not know how to justify it. in 2006 we should be able to realize what it is. my understanding of is it's the air circulation in your body. air circulation promotes also blood circulations which in turn promotes good health.
i do not want to go into bio stuff, but when you have oxygen, and blood flowing into your muscles you obviously get less fatigue and you enjoy higher endurance and better health.

when you meditate, what are you doing? you are only breathing deeply to expand your tendon, to massage your internal organs, and let more oxygen into your muscles. i.e. chi does exist :p

blackeye

White Belt
Reaction score
I use ki in my wing chun training as well as variour other ki control exercises. It's proven much stronger and effective than physical strength for me.

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Learning to manipulate and emit chi is central to the art that I teach (Yiliquan) and students begin learning the fundamentals while they're still novices.

blackeye

White Belt
Reaction score
pstarr said:
Learning to manipulate and emit chi is central to the art that I teach (Yiliquan) and students begin learning the fundamentals while they're still novices.

This Yiliquan sounds interesting, it's a form of quigong or kung fu right? I plan on learning wing chun and tai chi but I may have to find more information on yiliquan too, since all the martial arts I want to learn focus on chi. Anyone know a place that teaches yiliquan in Omaha NE?

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
I don't believe any particular art has these quality, but the individual has the ability to produce it themself at the proper time.

TKD does not have chi or Ki power but yet we use it everyday when we do something outstanding outside our own personal relm of behavior.
Terry

Terry,

I could not agree with you more.

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
blackeye said:
This Yiliquan sounds interesting, it's a form of quigong or kung fu right? I plan on learning wing chun and tai chi but I may have to find more information on yiliquan too, since all the martial arts I want to learn focus on chi. Anyone know a place that teaches yiliquan in Omaha NE?

Yes! As it happens, I teach in Omaha. Currently, we're renting space at Midwest Taekwondo, located at 8812 Blondo. Classes are Wed. 7:30-8:30pm, Fri. 7:00-8:30pm, and Sat. 5:00-7:00pm.

Feel free to stop in and visit!

blackeye

White Belt
Reaction score
pstarr said:
Yes! As it happens, I teach in Omaha. Currently, we're renting space at Midwest Taekwondo, located at 8812 Blondo. Classes are Wed. 7:30-8:30pm, Fri. 7:00-8:30pm, and Sat. 5:00-7:00pm.

Feel free to stop in and visit!

NO ****ing WAY!!! That Omaha thing was a total shot in the dark. I didn't even think anyone would respond to it! I had been looking into taking classes at muy yat ving tsun kung fu school but I'm definietly going to check out yours befor I make up my mind. Could I come by and watch the wednesday class?

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Alright this is getting scary. Know why?
A. I live in Omaha
2. My sensei lives in Omaha
last my sensei is cross training in Muy Yat Ving Tsun.

weird.

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sure, feel free to stop in! This week, we're beginning our Wed. night class at 7:30 pm. You're certainly more than welcome!

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
weird how that works out isn't it?

"when the student is ready..."

It's good to hear you are still teaching YiLiquan Sifu Starr, I thought you had stopped and were just doing the qigong classes downtown. I was going to start attending those but your old student Tim H. has instead been helping me learn the meditations.

Best of Everything to you,
David C.

PS - Tim has also shown me some YiLi and I would recommed if you guys are interested, go check it out. There could be no better teacher of the system than Sifu Pete Starr.

J

jasonearle

I love all the chi and meditation work. its the most interesting to me. we use it to add power to our strikes, as well as different applications in meditation, such as seeing without eyes(if that makes sense), chi transfer healing, and basic meditation exercises to relax and what not. there is so much more to learn that it is just so exciting the potential of it. The first time I actually used my chi to "heal" someone was amazing. the guy had smashed his hand and it swelled up and turned all blue-purpleish. I worked on him for about 15 min. Felt like my whole body was buzzing. he said he felt energy pushing his hand down, even though I wasn't touching it. Afterwards, the swelling had gone down a little and the color dissapated a little. We were on a break at work so I could of gone longer but obviously couldn't, but it was crazy stuff.

ech33

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
my arts basically involve chi in generating power as well as speed.

PeaceWarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
Short answer: Yes. I study wing chun, and we develop ki/chi by repetition of Si Nim Tao with correct breathing and posture. Chi is furthur developed through two more forms, but these are for more advanced practitioners than I. It is no walk in the park though, the form must be repeated many times with good focus and complete relaxation to develop the exploding energy (fa jing) which to most people would look very external (tense) at first but is actually very very relaxed, an explosive power as opposed to a resistive strength. I believe very much in ki/chi as I have seen it demonstrated many times (real chi- not just "newtonian physics")

Matthew Glover

White Belt
Reaction score
In Lung Shou Pai we don't really do any sort of work with qi in the lower levels. We do some very simple meditation/visualisation stuff and we have some breath control exercises involving coordinating breathing patterns with particular stance and body movements. None of this is ever really described as "qi" or anything of that nature at this point in our system.

I'm told that in the senior levels (starting after four years or so of study in the basics) there is quite a bit of internal energy work, and those breath control exercises are the foundation for some of it. I'm very nearly at the point where I'll get to start studying this stuff and I'm looking forward to exploring it.

Personally, I'm not a believer in qi. At heart I'm a skeptic. So far I haven't seen anything to convince me that there's any substance to the concept of internal energy aside from highly refined technique and mechanics. Maybe when I actually start working on it I'll change my mind, but I strongly doubt it.

Latest Discussions