Are Chi/Ki/Qi and spirit the same?

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Specifically, in your opinion, do you consider Chi/Ki/Qi to be part and parcel of your spirit/soul, or an energy force which undulates through you and around you, separate from your specific soul/spirit entity?

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
My beleif on chi/or what ever you want to call is based on how it is taught in Cuong Nhu. In Cuong Nhu there are fives sources of power, they are: mind (think about it), body (you should be able to figure this one out too), spirit (has to do more with your emotions), soul (more of a religous thing), and ki. So my beleif is that it is part of your body, but not a division or the result of any other forces/sorces of power.
Then, I'm also partly Taoist in religous beleifs, so I also feel that Chi is a gift from the enternal Chi (think god).

John

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
Specifically, in your opinion, do you consider Chi/Ki/Qi to be part and parcel of your spirit/soul, or an energy force which undulates through you and around you, separate from your specific soul/spirit entity?

Actually. I believe the entire universe is made up of energy. Quantum physics/String theory holds that all matter is made up of sub-atomic
"particles" of energy strings. The only thing that differs between various elements is the vibrational level of the energy strings that make up that element. The "strings" are otherwise identical.
Logically from that belief, I would say, IMO, that Chi/Ki/Qi is what my entire body and soul is really comprised of at the base level, and this energy can be controlled/willed to do many things.

For a terrific book on this, I recommend "The Quantum Power of Thought", by Grant Trevithick

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
shesulsa said:

No, I feel they are separate and different.

Spirit an especially soul hit me as a religious thing or faith dependant where Qi is not; I am willing to say this may only be my view.

But Qi, to me and to TCM is energy. If you have strong Qi you are healthy if you have weak Qi you are sick and if you have no Qi you are Dead.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think Chi is the force produced when all aspects of your being (mind, body, spirit) come into perfect sync. So no, Chi and spirit are different. IMHO

monkey

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I think of chi like electric charges. 1- you can get static from carpet & transfer to people. 2- Meditation is a form of storing the static charge.If you have enough you,can heal-defend-ect. 3-Now that it can be stored either static rub or meditation.Its up to us to controll & not call ourselfs Gods.Some do occult & being god like, they tend to lose the meaning of the power.I beleave its for helping others.Yet there will be a others who may see differant.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Martial Tucker said:
Actually. I believe the entire universe is made up of energy. Quantum physics/String theory holds that all matter is made up of sub-atomic
"particles" of energy strings. The only thing that differs between various elements is the vibrational level of the energy strings that make up that element. The "strings" are otherwise identical.
Logically from that belief, I would say, IMO, that Chi/Ki/Qi is what my entire body and soul is really comprised of at the base level, and this energy can be controlled/willed to do many things.

For a terrific book on this, I recommend "The Quantum Power of Thought", by Grant Trevithick

Things like this are why I ask things to be kept at a high school level. That stuff is hard to understand. Informative, but hard to understand.

John

Explorer

Blue Belt
Reaction score
CuongNhuka said:
Things like this are why I ask things to be kept at a high school level. That stuff is hard to understand. Informative, but hard to understand.

John

These things may be difficult to understand at first, but some research (reading) and talking with others will pretty easily bring them into focus.

James Oschman has written two excellent books on energy medicine, thereputics and human performance wherein chi/ki/prana is discussed from a western scientific mindset ... that really helps those of us brought up in the west. They're extremely informative and pretty easy for us lay people to understand.

Explorer

Blue Belt
Reaction score
To me, Qi (pinyin spelling - I believe) is the essential ingrediant of the creation. Everything that exists in the universe has a vibration and is tied to everything else in the universe. Quantum theory says that once two particles interact they become linked ... they 'communicate' with each other, no matter how far apart they travel.

Example: two sub-atomic particles are brought into contact in a German laboratory, then seperated from each other across the Danube river ... when one was excited, the other responded. Interesting, isn't it?

There are obviously particles or strings or something smaller than we can detect right now that fills the entire universe and allows all the parts to communicate at a subtle level. If it helps, think of 'The Force' from Star Wars ... it helps me.

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
Explorer said:
James Oschman has written two excellent books on energy medicine, thereputics and human performance wherein chi/ki/prana is discussed from a western scientific mindset ... that really helps those of us brought up in the west. They're extremely informative and pretty easy for us lay people to understand.

Good info, Explorer....Thanks.. The reviews on Amazon make the books sound
fairly technical. I'm not afraid of physics, but I don't have a deep medical background. I have done some acupressure, and Korean Hand Therapy, and I have a good friend who is an energetic healer. I'll look into these books.

Thanks again!

Explorer

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Martial Tucker said:
Good info, Explorer....Thanks.. The reviews on Amazon make the books sound
fairly technical. I'm not afraid of physics, but I don't have a deep medical background. I have done some acupressure, and Korean Hand Therapy, and I have a good friend who is an energetic healer. I'll look into these books.

Thanks again!

Your own knowledge coupled with the resources you have available will make Dr. Oschman's books quite understandable. A lot of it has to do with physics ... hope you like quantum physics ... it seems to be at play here.

There is another resource I cherish ... The Teaching Company has a lecture series (I listen to the CDs in my car) on quantum physics for non-scientists ... it is fantastic! BTW - only buy Teaching Company stuff when it's on sale ... I've been purchasing the downloads; the cheapest solution yet. :)

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
Explorer said:
Your own knowledge coupled with the resources you have available will make Dr. Oschman's books quite understandable. A lot of it has to do with physics ... hope you like quantum physics ... it seems to be at play here.

There is another resource I cherish ... The Teaching Company has a lecture series (I listen to the CDs in my car) on quantum physics for non-scientists ... it is fantastic! BTW - only buy Teaching Company stuff when it's on sale ... I've been purchasing the downloads; the cheapest solution yet. :)
I love quantum physics and metaphysical discussions.
I'll check out the downloads, too.

Again...thanks!

monkey

Brown Belt
Reaction score
If any one is interested I can teach how to feel-store-gain chi & use for defence & healing properties.

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
Explorer said:
To me, Qi (pinyin spelling - I believe) is the essential ingrediant of the creation. Everything that exists in the universe has a vibration and is tied to everything else in the universe. Quantum theory says that once two particles interact they become linked ... they 'communicate' with each other, no matter how far apart they travel.

Example: two sub-atomic particles are brought into contact in a German laboratory, then seperated from each other across the Danube river ... when one was excited, the other responded. Interesting, isn't it?

There are obviously particles or strings or something smaller than we can detect right now that fills the entire universe and allows all the parts to communicate at a subtle level. If it helps, think of 'The Force' from Star Wars ... it helps me.
Hey Explorer,

We've been "conversing", but somehow I missed this post of yours from earlier. It really caught my attention because it touches on the Theory of Nonlocality, in that the REALLY cool thing about the particles responding to each other is that the response of one particle to the other is instantaneous, or FASTER than the speed of light, which according to Einstein's Theory of Relativity is impossible. The implication is that it is indeed possible for some forms of energy to move from one point to the other instantly, or in other words, at the speed of thought. The logical inference from this is that thought = energy, which implies that our thoughts have much more potential power than we realize

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Explorer said:

Sounds very interesting, I shall have to check out this book.

One question, how heavily does it get into Quantum Physics? If I start reading Quantum physics books I begin to get very strange (or at least stranger that I already am) And my view of just about everything changes, so I tend to shy away from all things Quantum physics if I have anything to do, such as go to work, drive a car, eat, breath... etc.

After a while I imagine I would end up much like a Gumby from Monty Python, just standing around yelling my brain hurts. And I took an awful lot of math and physics in college those did not have this effect on me.

And yes Qi is Pinyin.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Explorer said:

isn't the Danube over a mile wide at parts?

Explorer

Blue Belt
Reaction score
CuongNhuka said:
isn't the Danube over a mile wide at parts?

Could be, don't really know. The last time I was there, I was about 4 years old. Everything looked huge!

The point of the study is that those two particles could be sent to opposite sides of the universe and they would see the same results.

...yeah, I blinked a coupla time myself when I first started reading the science stuff.

Explorer

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Martial Tucker said:
Hey Explorer,

We've been "conversing", but somehow I missed this post of yours from earlier. It really caught my attention because it touches on the Theory of Nonlocality, in that the REALLY cool thing about the particles responding to each other is that the response of one particle to the other is instantaneous, or FASTER than the speed of light, which according to Einstein's Theory of Relativity is impossible. The implication is that it is indeed possible for some forms of energy to move from one point to the other instantly, or in other words, at the speed of thought. The logical inference from this is that thought = energy, which implies that our thoughts have much more potential power than we realize

And I've missed this one. So much for great minds thinking alike! :) I get the feeling that there are 'particles' (for lack of a better term) that litterally fill the universe and when one particle is excited ... similar to those swinging silver balls everyone used to have on their desks ... the other responds. Anyway it's a way I can think about it and not go crazy.

I've trained as a healing touch practioner ... and this stuff goes a long way toward explaining how healing touch might work.

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Explorer has some very good recommendations. The nature of chi is something that even the Asians don't fully understand but quantum physics is now becoming very useful in that regard.

I see chi as the "stuff" from which the universe is made and the glue that holds it together, as it were.

However, the soul is, I believe, an entirely different matter...I believe that a disembodied soul (spirit) can manipulate chi more easily than one which is still inhabiting a body because the body essentially interferes with the transmission of chi- for what it's worth...:)

Explorer

Blue Belt
Reaction score
pstarr said:
Explorer has some very good recommendations. The nature of chi is something that even the Asians don't fully understand but quantum physics is now becoming very useful in that regard.

I see chi as the "stuff" from which the universe is made and the glue that holds it together, as it were.

However, the soul is, I believe, an entirely different matter...I believe that a disembodied soul (spirit) can manipulate chi more easily than one which is still inhabiting a body because the body essentially interferes with the transmission of chi- for what it's worth...:)

So, in your view, the soul might be 'the stuff of the universe' and more closely associated to the make up of the creation ... and the body is like an insulator?

That makes sense to me from one perspective.

After reading a number of studies it seems the body's collegen is an excellent electrical conductor ... it almost looks like a liquid crystal that can be 'tuned' for different reasons ... one 'tuning' it's a receiving antenna ... and in another configuration is a broadcasting antenna. Sorry, I'm an old broadcasting guy and it helps me visualize the systems.

Does this resonate with you at all?

Latest Discussions