Does the Muay Thai round kick have any place in a street fight?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you don't go out on the town with my friends :( it gets a bit bad once they've had a few and i often have to step in to stop them from getting hurt.

i've always said that i'm no angel and my record speaks volumes for me :)

Still, that makes you an exception, it doesn't make it true that MT kicks are penalised by the law, they aren't.

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Still, that makes you an exception, it doesn't make it true that MT kicks are penalised by the law, they aren't.

my cases and those of my friends are and have never been an exception

any kick is more likely to get picked up on cctv and believe me punches get missed a lot a kick doesn't - you throw and roundhouse of whatever variety and it's game over --- the cctv operator will only see what the camera lets them and they catch you throwing a kick, they tell the cops that you've thrown a kick at whoever and it's off to the cells again........ it doesn't matter who threw the first whatever that's for the judge to decide and the judge will go by what he/she sees and believe me it's not good when you see it payed in the courtroom cos you know straight away that you're getting done for it -- it's happened far too many times for it to be a one off. i've seen first hand the number of people that are getting done for kicking versus punching and kicking - well you might as well be carrying tbh cos it's treated in the same way.

trust me - i've been there, done it and had too many insulting breakfasts for my efforts.

point is if you really have to throw a kick make damn sure of your situation and possibilities before you do it -- judge sees a roundhouse and instantly says MAist and that's it you've had training and you've prolly had the speech about not using it outside the classroom - that speech is to keep you from going to the cells.

in short you're trained - they're not so therefore you should know better.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my cases and those of my friends are and have never been an exception

any kick is more likely to get picked up on cctv and believe me punches get missed a lot a kick doesn't - you throw and roundhouse of whatever variety and it's game over --- the cctv operator will only see what the camera lets them and they catch you throwing a kick, they tell the cops that you've thrown a kick at whoever and it's off to the cells again........ it doesn't matter who threw the first whatever that's for the judge to decide and the judge will go by what he/she sees and believe me it's not good when you see it payed in the courtroom cos you know straight away that you're getting done for it -- it's happened far too many times for it to be a one off. i've seen first hand the number of people that are getting done for kicking versus punching and kicking - well you might as well be carrying tbh cos it's treated in the same way.

trust me - i've been there, done it and had too many insulting breakfasts for my efforts.

point is if you really have to throw a kick make damn sure of your situation and possibilities before you do it -- judge sees a roundhouse and instantly says MAist and that's it you've had training and you've prolly had the speech about not using it outside the classroom - that speech is to keep you from going to the cells.

in short you're trained - they're not so therefore you should know better.

I have many friends from the martial arts world, many MMA in Wales and what they say disputes what you are saying as far as the general public are concerned. Many of them are door staff and have used martial arts techniques, been seen on cctv and have not been prosecuted. There is also a rather famous case of two MMA fighters in drag for a stag night on cctv defending themselves from an attacker, they were praised by the court.
I appreciate you talking from your own experience but mine and many of my friends over three decades show that you are the exception rather than the rule in the UK. I would suggest it's more that you have a record and are a persistent offender that you are being picked up, the person defending themselves using martial arts is not likely to be picked up on using their art other than to be congratulated by the magistrate. I imagine too that the police in your area are probably sick and tired of picking up the same people for fighting time and time again, it's anti social behaviour and one that should be grown out of. Sorry if that offends but constant fighting and being arrested for street violence doesn't get any sympathy for me as being victimisation for 'using' martial arts. If it were a one off and the courts treated you badly for using martial arts I'd think well yes that is unfair, but you've said yourself you fight a lot and really you can't complain if you are seen as a public nuisance a danger even if you are using your martial arts to brawl in the street week in week out. What do you think the court sees? If someone comes up before them with a record of fighting, is still fighting and using martial arts to fight damn right they are going to say you should know better.
My instructor does the doors in a tough city, he's used round house kicks and other techniques, seen by the police, seen on cctv and never been done. I have friends who do the doors in Cardiff, same for them, as well as many others who have had to defend themselves using martial arts. Your case proves only that you need to rethink your situation not that the courts here look badly on martial artists.

I'm sorry that may seem harsh but your situation doesn't prove that martial arts used for defence is penalised by the courts. It proves that brawling so much and using martial arts is penalised by the courts, rightly so in my opinion. anti social behaviour in our streets is making the lives of people intolerable, drinking, fighting, urinating and being sick in the streets is making our streets off limits to ordinary people, it's unpleasant and not safe to walk down many of our street in an evening now. the courts and the police need to be hard line about it, that you've been arrested so many times for fighting doesn't mean the courts are wrong, it means you need to stop brawling in the street I'm afraid.

Last edited:

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
the one thing that i've not got is an asbo for anything i've ever done. i too did the doors in anfield (otherwise known as beruit) liverpool and it kicked off nearly every night cos that's what happens in anfield doesn't matter it kicks off -- it's part of why i now live in a sleepy place. i love going back too cos i got a lot of friends that live there and the only thing that has changed is that the age groups for violence have got lower.

i chose to speak out cos of this and cos of what the judgements have been and i'm not scrapping at every opportunity cos i'm not like that - i am actually really quiet and laid back with a couldn't care less attitude to life.

i too speak from experience - for sure i'm not and never ever ever want to be a copper :):):) don't want to be associated with them on a personal level either - i'd rather have friends that tread the grey area between good and bad and are willing to step up when it all kicks off.

if you ever take a trip up north to liverpool - i dare you to go for a walk round and through anfield ;)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the one thing that i've not got is an asbo for anything i've ever done. i too did the doors in anfield (otherwise known as beruit) liverpool and it kicked off nearly every night cos that's what happens in anfield doesn't matter it kicks off -- it's part of why i now live in a sleepy place. i love going back too cos i got a lot of friends that live there and the only thing that has changed is that the age groups for violence have got lower.

i chose to speak out cos of this and cos of what the judgements have been and i'm not scrapping at every opportunity cos i'm not like that - i am actually really quiet and laid back with a couldn't care less attitude to life.

i too speak from experience - for sure i'm not and never ever ever want to be a copper :):):) don't want to be associated with them on a personal level either - i'd rather have friends that tread the grey area between good and bad and are willing to step up when it all kicks off.

if you ever take a trip up north to liverpool - i dare you to go for a walk round and through anfield ;)

Been there and done that, also Afghanistan, Glasgow, Newcastle, Nottingham, Leeds, Manchester, all parts of London, Londonderry, Belfast and the Bandit country, you think Anfield is bad try Crossmaglen in the 1970's, try the riots in Belfast and Londonderry. Ever had a fridge and washing machine dropped out on flats trying to squash you? ever had housewives and kids trying to stone you? Ever been in Northern Ireland in Marching season? Btw Liverpool isn't 'up north for me' it's across the Pennines.
It sounds all brave and 'honourable' to be there when your friends 'kick off', however it isn't, it's childish. I know about being there for your mates, like when you are in a fire fight and they are watching your back, like when you are properly under attack by people who actually want to kill you that's when your mates watching out for you is honourable, when the Molotov cocktails are flying and the crowd is trying to rip you to pieces as they did with two Royal Signals soldiers in Northern Ireland, they were dragged out of their car and kicked and punched to death. I'm sorry I have no patience for people who glorify brawling in the street for what is basically fun. It's all good fun until someone dies.

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
you're a yorkie:)

yup try Tunkit Serbia (balkans war) - try macedonia when it was all kicking off - try having your best friend blown up by an rpg - try losing a full 30 man platoon to mortar and rpg fire in Tunkit Serbia 2 weeks after losing my best friend - try having a hole put in your leg whilst changing a car tyre in fermanagh (think i've spelt it right) by PIRA - try walking down a street in belfast with a buggy that had been left outside a house with a bomb in it timed to go off when we walked past - yup i've seen more death than i really need to.

as for the cops i really wouldn't trust any of them they're all on the take and they don't give a stuff about what goes on on the streets - they never have and never will. take for instance the fact that the cops would never go into the anfield area after dark and if anything happened during darkness they might go for a look the next morning -- it's worse now than it ever used to be.

i've seen a lot of death - and a lot that has been too close to home for my liking --- yup i got my scars both mental and physical - i know am no angel, never have been and never will be (experience has taught that being this way will keep me alive far longer) but when s%^t hits the fan i'm there always have been and always will be - i back my buds i don't wait for other people to turn up if it means i gte another night in the cells then fine cos i was there for them. doesn't matter when we were pinned down in serbia or when it kicked off on the anfield road i was there and we made a difference. and it's not being brave (bad choice of word on your part) it's about protecting those that mean summat to you and that for me is everything.

it's one thing to say you've been here and there and done this and that and the other but unless you strayed to the more grey areas of the law then you can't have made that much of a difference. where i was born, adopted and raised cops were treated like vermin and from what i can gather the situation has got worse and they're cutting the numbers of cops - says a lot really about where i come from.

cops only ever care about themselves ask my adopted dad he was one - never thought about anyone else just him and the cop next to him and that was it - that was his world extremely shallow if you ask me.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wrong, I am not a Yorkie I'm from London, I live in and worked, before I retired, in the largest garrison in Europe. I also had another career before the last one. I don't play the who's got the most scars game, I believe in being honest and........ honestly all this stuff about the 'grey side' etc and the hard times is not pulling at the heart strings.
When as a female were you walking the streets on patrol in the Province? What unit were you with and what what year?

Latest Discussions