Does the Muay Thai round kick have any place in a street fight?

Towel Snapper

Green Belt
Reaction score
Why is it so important in a sport fight, and so unimportant in a street fight? Its a different dynamic sure but its not THAT different or is it?

Also in Muay Boron they seem to value it on the battle field, which seems crazy, why round kick when you have a sword and a stick? Elbows and knees if they are too close yes I can see why that would be useful while carrying a sword and stick, but round kicks!?

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are more than one 'round' kick in Muay Thai. Is there a particular one you are inquiring about?
Other than kicking to the upper body and head the kicks of Muay Thai can be good for the street or may not be good depending on the situation.

Muay Boron was without weapons. Krabri-Krabrong was with weapons.

OP
T

Towel Snapper

Green Belt
Reaction score
There are more than one 'round' kick in Muay Thai. Is there a particular one you are inquiring about?
Other than kicking to the upper body and head the kicks of Muay Thai can be good for the street or may not be good depending on the situation.

Muay Boron was without weapons. Krabri-Krabrong was with weapons.

Ok thanks, did Muay Boron decend from Krabi-KraBrong?

Ok well any form of round kick, doenst matter of its to the head to the leg, coming down going up, half round kick half knee what ever. Do all round kicks have little use on the street?

Under what situations do you think round kicking is a good idea on the street?

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why is it so important in a sport fight, and so unimportant in a street fight? Its a different dynamic sure but its not THAT different or is it?

Most street fights are actually over before they start. Very rarely do you have two men or women having a protracted scrap. It would be rare that such a person would use a kick, even rarer that they would advertise such skill. In the UK, that person would be going to prison most likely.

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
everything has it's place - you gotta be really careful though like transk says if you live in the UK and you throw a round kick then you're pretty much stuffed :(

do they have a place outside of competition :- for sure they do :) it's like every other MA :) round kicks do have their place though and a decent spinning round house will put most people on the floor :)

Muay Boran is the "proper" thai boxing unarmed combat version and krabi krabong is the armed version :)

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok thanks, did Muay Boron decend from Krabi-KraBrong?

Ok well any form of round kick, doenst matter of its to the head to the leg, coming down going up, half round kick half knee what ever. Do all round kicks have little use on the street?

Under what situations do you think round kicking is a good idea on the street?

I don't think the head high round kicks or even the round kicks to the body on the street have much use, just do to any number of factors really; clothes or environment restrictions, the body not being properly stretched out etc. etc. the whole idea of two people squaring off and having a mutually consented or agree upon fight in a street situation seems odd to me as well.

But fighting in close and doing a powerful kick to the outside or inside of the leg to disrupt the opponent's balance I believe the kick is very useful. Because the impact is across the whole shin area as opposed to just trying to hit with the toes (ball of the foot) or the top of the shoe therefore you have to be less precise as to the target. Also the impact is more of a smashing or driving through as opposed to a snapping type.

FWIW I do think the snapping type of a roundhouse kick can work as well in fighting situations, but as a base disruption for the application I'm describing I believe the Thai round kick to be better suited.

In regards to weapon apps the kick can still be used, in fact possibly better (more impact) due to range. If the person feeds a back hand type of an attack and you close and stop the blow, the low round kick again to the outside of his leg can disrupt his balance or his base allowing you to continue the defense.

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
To DonnaTKD and Transk53

Since I'm residing in the U.S. and not in the U.K., I'm curious about your posts and just seeking info. Why is it if you threw a MT round kick in a street fight you would get "Stuffed".

Is it in a situation where two people have in a sense mutually consented to a fight; where perhaps two people agree to a place and time, or perhaps two people confront each other words and the monkey dance start and then they commence to fight.

Or if a person is clearly attacked in a non consensual situation and in the course of their defense they execute a MT round kick to their aggressor they would still get "Stuffed".

Just wondering how the laws would/could be applied.

Thanks

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To DonnaTKD and Transk53

Since I'm residing in the U.S. and not in the U.K., I'm curious about your posts and just seeking info. Why is it if you threw a MT round kick in a street fight you would get "Stuffed".

Is it in a situation where two people have in a sense mutually consented to a fight; where perhaps two people agree to a place and time, or perhaps two people confront each other words and the monkey dance start and then they commence to fight.

Or if a person is clearly attacked in a non consensual situation and in the course of their defense they execute a MT round kick to their aggressor they would still get "Stuffed".

Just wondering how the laws would/could be applied.

Thanks

Under our laws if you were defending yourself and used 'reasonable force' you would not get 'stuffed'. You are even allowed to throw the first strike if you feel you are under the threat of death or severe injury. There is no laws which say which techniques/strikes etc are likely to get you in trouble, it has to be 'reasonable to you at the time of the attack'. It means too that you are allowed to use a weapon if you fear for your life.
Despite what many think no person who has genuinely been defended themselves has been prosecuted, they may well be arrested as at the time of an incident police officers have no way of telling immediately who is telling the truth.
I'm retired now, luckily, nearly a year now so my days of arresting people are gone but using a roundhouse kick in defence won't get you stuffed. I would be doubtful about using a high one though in a defence situation, low ones would be better but as far as the law is concerned it makes no difference what strike is used it all depends on the situation.

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
from what i've learnt - and i learnt the hard way - a roundhouse kick shows that you've got skills and know how to use them.

the way the CPS see it is that i should know better than to use my skills on another person. the situation and environment play their part but not a great deal -- fact is you kicked them and put them down doesn't really matter who started what and when - you shouldn't have done it.

might have been different for you Tez but i've seen the inside of too many police cells to call it any other way.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
First off, the only reason for being in a "street fight" is if you are attacked randomly. If that wasn't the case, you failed to control your environment.

Having said that, kicks are highly effective. I advocate not kicking higher than the waist in a self-defense situation under any circumstances. The round kick to the outside of the leg, specifically, has several benefits. The common peroneal pressure point is on the outside of the leg, just above the knee; a well-placed kick will cause a massive jolt of pain and a huge muscle cramp in that leg, enabling you to then escape to a place of safety. If you miss the pressure point, you still wind up with a good chance of blowing out their knee, also allowing you to escape.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
from what i've learnt - and i learnt the hard way - a roundhouse kick shows that you've got skills and know how to use them.

the way the CPS see it is that i should know better than to use my skills on another person. the situation and environment play their part but not a great deal -- fact is you kicked them and put them down doesn't really matter who started what and when - you shouldn't have done it.

might have been different for you Tez but i've seen the inside of too many police cells to call it any other way.

I imagine my side of the police cells was different.
I can't comment on your situation because I don't know it but if you are fighting that often I'd suggest that the CPS may well see things differently however the comments I made are true all the same for those who find themselves in what is usually a one off self defence situation. Not many people find themselves in serial self defence situations.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
IMO - you have to have been hit by some good Muay Thai round kicks before you can speculate on a question like this. They're just plain nasty and make the rest of your day really suck.

OP
T

Towel Snapper

Green Belt
Reaction score
IMO - you have to have been hit by some good Muay Thai round kicks before you can speculate on a question like this. They're just plain nasty and make the rest of your day really suck.

I have been and while they are lame we can clearly see some guys can take them for 15 minutes and not even be limping. Sure some start limping on the 1st leg kick but in a situation where kicks should be used judiciously (the street), do you really want to whip out the big gun?

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I imagine my side of the police cells was different.
I can't comment on your situation because I don't know it but if you are fighting that often I'd suggest that the CPS may well see things differently however the comments I made are true all the same for those who find themselves in what is usually a one off self defence situation. Not many people find themselves in serial self defence situations.

you don't go out on the town with my friends :( it gets a bit bad once they've had a few and i often have to step in to stop them from getting hurt.

i've always said that i'm no angel and my record speaks volumes for me :)

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have been and while they are lame we can clearly see some guys can take them for 15 minutes and not even be limping. Sure some start limping on the 1st leg kick but in a situation where kicks should be used judiciously (the street), do you really want to whip out the big gun?

it's not a big gun - it's a way of either putting space between you or a method of finishing things before they've really got going ;)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

"....and while they are lame" ---- you'll have to explain what that means to me. "
.....some guys can take them for 15 minutes and not even be limping" --- So, you're talking about watching a match on television, is that correct?

You have had some time to ask a lot of questions. And, for the most part, that's usually a good thing. But, as a gentleman, you must also allow questions to be asked.

How old are you? How long have you been training? And does your instructor have any idea, any idea at all, that you are asking all these questions on the internet from people you don't know? Aww, on second thought, no need to answer that last one. But, really, how old are you? How many weeks have you been training?
Got a camera? I'd like to see a photo of you in your class/dojo. Because, frankly, I'm starting to doubt you train at all.

But I hope you realize how lucky you are, you must have very patient senseis.

Latest Discussions