Does boxing and being hit in the face impact intelligence?

OP
IvanTheBrick

IvanTheBrick

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Why does it matter? well, every time you were hit and your head was moved forcibly by that hit your brain hit your skull causing bruising. It may be a small even tiny amount each time but it mounts up and can cause brain damage in later life. You've had bruises to the rest of your body I assume, it would be rare if you didn't, a bruise is bleeding under the skin, on the body these bruise dissipate as the blood is re-absorbed but when you get a bruise on the brain, however small it kills brain cells. This may damage you, may not of course but repeated bruising is bound to cause some damage though it may not show for years.

Slapping Kids Upside the Head Causes Traumatic Brain Injury - Nyssa's Hobbit Hole

This is why I was so insistent that you should not smack children (or anyone) across the face. I don't believe in smacking children but this particular action, hard slapping around the head is actually dangerous.
Whoever said upside... slaps are slaps muh wtf
>go back to pol

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This be poppin' I just want an answer to the thread; stop being concerned about my upbringing. Worry about your plates not mine.

You've been given answers, are you waiting until you get one you like?

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
This be poppin' I just want an answer to the thread; stop being concerned about my upbringing. Worry about your plates not mine.
Already answered it...i don't need to worry about my plates they're all good they're nice and clean after a good wash in the dishwasher and what's poppin if something's poppin you should go see a doctor buddy.

I couldn't care less about your upbringing pal but you made a statement asking what tez point was I answered what her point was that's it end of story. If you're happy with your upbringing then fair enough I'm not even involved in that subject and know nothing about it I'm not on anyone's side but you asked a question I was explaining it to you simple as that. I'm not trying cause any drama I've already answered your question there we go. If you want to box go box yeah it's got risks but so does dancing. Yep you could get brain damage if you spar stupidly but as long as you train smart no reason to think it'll happen

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a requirement on MT that posts are made in understandable English, not slang, txt talk or anything else that isn't understandable to posters.

The point is that it's not about your upbringing but what happened during it that could cause you problems with brain function in the future especially if you also take blows to the head, however soft, during martial arts training. The hardness or softness of the blow only dictates how large the bruising to the brain is. Repetition of any blow will cause repeated damage.

That's the answer to the question you asked.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes it does, not immediately, So no it won't impact you studies, but if you keep doing it, by the time you reach you say 40s it may well impact your functions. There's a term punch drunk, we're boxers appear permanent drunk, slurred speech etc, use to describe the condition. Though there are multiple levels of degrees

.So t yes over time being regularly hit very hard on the head will cause brain damage. Head gear will lesson the impact but not remove the likely Hood all together. The same is however true of other NoN combat sports , like heading a soccer ball . so the impacts are not as hard or as often so less so.

Try not to get hit

In other words be an outfighter.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know whether getting hit in the face adversely impacts one's intelligence, but getting hit in the face professionally isn't a common indicator of genius.

Seriously, though, the more research I read about brains and CTE, the more convinced I am that there is a clear and direct link between brain function and trauma.
Part of the reason I havent tine back to a striking art since starting jj/kali. The dojo offers it, but I'm 24 and have some memory issues. There's a good chance that's related to kempo since age 4 and boxing/kickboxing since 14/15. Brain function for the rest of my life is not worth the risk of some extra enjoyment now.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Whoever said upside... slaps are slaps muh wtf
>go back to pol
Is this English?

ralph-wiggum-me-fail-english-thats-unpossible.jpg

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Durrr what now? I don't get it.

I can count half way to potato!
You reminded me of one of my football players one day...

My guy is involved in a really big helmet to helmet hit. He gets laid out, then sits up and takes his helmet off before I can get to him. I ask him a series of questions:

Me: are you ok?
Him: mashed potatoes.
Me: what?
Me: what happened?
Me: where are you right now?
Me: what’s your name?
Me: where do you live?

Ambulance arrived. EMTs asked him several questions too, and the answer to all of them was the same - mashed potatoes. After the mood was lightened up a bit, I finally asked him a question we think he got right - what did you have for lunch today? Mashed potatoes.

He ended up being ok after about a week or so. He had no idea why his teammates were calling him mashed potatoes at practice the next day :)

Edit: of course I didn’t let him play for a while. He was at practice watching until he passed our concussion protocol, which was about 2 weeks later.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

My guy is involved in a really big helmet to helmet hit. He gets laid out, then sits up and takes his helmet off before I can get to him. I ask him a series of questions:

Ambulance arrived. EMTs asked him several questions too, and the answer to all of them was the same - mashed potatoes. After the mood was lightened up a bit, I finally asked him a question we think he got right - what did you have for lunch today? Mashed potatoes.

He ended up being ok after about a week or so. He had no idea why his teammates were calling him mashed potatoes at practice the next day :)

Edit: of course I didn’t let him play for a while. He was at practice watching until he passed our concussion protocol, which was about 2 weeks later.
There is nothing funny about concussions, yet concussed people can be quite funny.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Wow, that is some seriously scary stuff.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wow, that is some seriously scary stuff.
When they’re conscious and moving isn’t scary to me. It’s when they’re unconscious that gets my adrenaline going. The scariest head injury was unconscious and a seizure.

I’ve seen a ton of bad injuries. None of them really bothered me. Even the obvious facial fracture where you could see the guy’s facial bone looking like it was going to rip through his skin any second didn’t bother me. Unconscious concussions and seizures (due to head trauma or not) always bothered me.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
By the way according to to success experts. Getting ahead is about hustle, not intelligence.

And boxing does teach hustle.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When they’re conscious and moving isn’t scary to me. It’s when they’re unconscious that gets my adrenaline going. The scariest head injury was unconscious and a seizure.

I’ve seen a ton of bad injuries. None of them really bothered me. Even the obvious facial fracture where you could see the guy’s facial bone looking like it was going to rip through his skin any second didn’t bother me. Unconscious concussions and seizures (due to head trauma or not) always bothered me.

It's the old adage about children and accidents, if they are bawling their heads off they aren't too bad, if they are quiet and pale then that's when you worry.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's the old adage about children and accidents, if they are bawling their heads off they aren't too bad, if they are quiet and pale then that's when you worry.
Yup. Or quiet and purple.

kickillustrated

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
There is a reason why boxing is the craft or art of not getting hit. People complain about the big fights being too boring because the true champions of the sport like Floyd Mayweather are showcasing their defensive skills rather than their ability to suck it up. But those guys know better. That's why they are true champions.

Latest Discussions