does anyone here use resistance bands in there MA training ?

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Do you mean like the soloflex or elastic bands that one holds while punching?

In either case, no, though both have their respective merits.

Daniel

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Never used resistance bands. I usually work out with 10 or 15 pound weights in my hands for the whole class. Punches, blocks, form, arm, shoulder strength and endurance.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
We take bike inner tubes and cut them so they are no longer a circle and then tie two of them together. Then we tie one end to our legs then someone holds the other end or we tie that to a pole and then make some tension and then perform our kicks. This provides the resistance we need for making the hip stronger and the quad and hamstrings as well. There is resistance throughout the kick without putting the strain on the joint as weights would do as gravity is always pulling your joint in a downwards motion. Works really well, try doing this and throwing 100 kicks or more with them on. A great workout and it makes your kicks more explosive off the line. Really increases speed.

Last edited:

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Today most physcial therpist...will use many different color bands for therpy....research this futher!

Resistance bands are excellant tools.......for muscle growths and flexability..

Aloha, bong!

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
We use the Iron Woody Stretch Bands . . .

http://www.roguefitness.com/store/product245.html

Great in chi sau practice helping to develop springy energy.
One end loops around one forearm, then across the upper back and shoulders, then the other end loops around the other forearm. Heck of a workout. Used this way, they will help to develop your punching skills.

Also good for maintaining proper distance or closeness to your partner. Both parners loop it around their hips when doing chi sau. With just enough stretch, the band pulls on each partner, attempting to keep both people from moving too far out of distance. If you attempt to back up, the band helps pull your partner with you, that way you can't run away, focusing on having to deal with them constantly in your face.

Then we use them around our ankles, one band stretched between 2 of us. Helps in sinking and retaining proper rooting to the ground. And of course, when you move or step backward, it forces your partner to move with you, maintaining or matching step for step.

shihansmurf

Black Belt
Reaction score
I use resistance bands for mainly for speed building. They work really well and do so without changing the correct form of a punch or kick by putting undue stress in the muscles not being actually used in the performance of the strike in question. More importantly, they work without damaging the joints.

They are a great way to train and will improve your spped and explosive power a lot.

Mark

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The only resistance bands I have came from CaneMasters..I use them as part of my exercise program..

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have used them in Wing Tsun much like Zepedawingchun described, and even more in Eskrima. For this, I loop the band around a post and grip the band just below the handles. Facing away from the post, I do reps of our Cinco Tiros, or five basic strikes. To increase resistance, you just move further from the post. It has helped me with speed, "snap" and power.

Lately, I've gotten away from the bands and have been doing more work with dumbells, but I really think I was getting more functional results with the bands. Maybe it's time to change my routine again.

Latest Discussions