Does anyone here speak/read any Japanese?

Gaucho

Orange Belt
Reaction score
There is a video on youtube:
"3 Major Schools of Okinawa Karate - Uechi-ryu, Goju-ryu, Shorin-ryu Vol.2"

These is some interesting material on there.... I think...... but I don't know where material about one style stops and another begins. I don't even know who's on first. If someone can help sort this for me, I would appreciate it.
Thanks.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ah thanks for sharing, I'll have a look. I can't help, but there are soooo many YouTube vids that don't have subtitles and I wish they did, some really great looking vids out there!

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
i am not fluent in Japanese but i would not expect anyone to translate and entire video for you.
but i will tell you the opening sequence shows...
0:00 to 0:26 Goju Ryu kata
0:27 to 0:40 Uechi- Ryu seisan kata
0:41 to 1:06 Shorin Ryu

there is a title introducing the styles.
at 4:00 starts uechi ryu.
the beginning shows kote ki te arm and body conditioning
the kata starting at 5:12 min is Konshiwa kata this is not an original Chinese kata but one added later to the curriculum.
then they replay the kata and show the partner bunkai / application
the instructor then explains the different kinds of strikes
at about 12 min in they show kata seisan. this is an original kata from China
they then show the bunkai.

Last edited:
OP
Gaucho

Gaucho

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thank you. It's even more of a mish-mash than I expected. Still, it's interesting. Here's on more question: which style is happening at about 9:00 minutes?
Thanks again.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thank you. It's even more of a mish-mash than I expected. Still, it's interesting. Here's on more question: which style is happening at about 9:00 minutes?
Thanks again.
its not a mish mash. you must not be watching the entire video. there are four title segments : (but only three teachers)

at 3:52 it says in English Uechi- Ryu
i already broke down what is shown for uechi ryu from the 4min mark until the next title.

the next title is at 15:10 which clearly says in English Goju-Ryu.

the next title says Shinbukan at 23:02
this is Onaga Yoshimitsu he represents the Shorin- Ryu (Kobayashi lineage).
at 28:41 the title says TI which is the supposed precusor to modern karate in specific the shorin styles.
Yoshimitsu is a teacher of both Shorin ryu and Ti which is where Shorin karate evolved from so he shows both.

OP
Gaucho

Gaucho

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thanks again. That sure makes Uechi-Ryu look good, but it may be the practitioner and not the style for all I know. I wish the Goju Ryu bit had been longer..