Does anyone have any recent Godan test film?

Just Torry

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm still learning about all this, and, it looks to me that this test is really something. I've looked and found lots of examples from years past, but I'm wondering if anyone has any footage of recent tests, especially those not given by the grandmaster. Have there been many tests this year? Does anyone film them?

Sorry if I sound like an idiot about this (but I am one I think). :)

JT

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
IMO, having been through the test, video doesn't do it justice. I've heard similar comments from others who've tested.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have NOT taken the test, but I ask... why would you want that? I don't think you will get much from the videos, other than a wow factor. I would think it is similar to watching training videos or viewing pictures, you won't truly understand what is going on unless you have already accumulated a sufficient level of experience in the art.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
To answer your question usually on any Daikomyosai or I believe on any Kuden dvd their is someone taking the Godan test. So go to www.ninjutsu.com and you can purchase some dvd's that will probably have a Godan test on them. Plus you will get to see Soke move!
icon14.gif

As to the test well I think it is cool. However in the grand scheme of things it is just a minor test.
icon6.gif

KenG

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
it looks like it hurts if you fail... :) unless you were a lucky one that he stopped before he wacked you... im not a ninjutsu guy but do you test for this whenever you feel you can or does you instructor put you up if he thinks your ready? sorry for the ignorance but i was just wondering the videos i have seen of soke hatsumi are impressive i might look for a reputable place in my area.. it looks like it would compliment my style well... any one know of a good instructor in the baltimore/maryland area... one other question how do you prepare for a test like this as my test's do not include anything like this (kenpo guy here) our tests are definitly physical but not this way...

Dale Seago

Black Belt
Reaction score
it looks like it hurts if you fail... :) unless you were a lucky one that he stopped before he wacked you...

Even though it's a fukuro shinai, in years past I've heard of occasional things like concussions or separated shoulders.

. . .im not a ninjutsu guy but do you test for this whenever you feel you can or does you instructor put you up if he thinks your ready?

You can be tested at any time once you reach 4th dan in the Bujinkan -- this is the 5th dan test. Generally there will be a testing session at the end of one or more of the Daikomyosai training days; and at the end of any of Hatsumi sensei's classes at the Tokyo Budokan or at Hombu it's common for him to ask if anyone present wants to test.

The test used to be done only by Hatsumi sensei. Nowadays, however, he allows those at 15th dan to do the test. . .but, so far, only in Japan and only in his presence. And he himself no longer teaches outside Japan. So actually there are two requirements: (1) be a 4th dan in the Bujinkan, and (2) go to Japan.

. . .sorry for the ignorance but i was just wondering the videos i have seen of soke hatsumi are impressive i might look for a reputable place in my area.. it looks like it would compliment my style well... any one know of a good instructor in the baltimore/maryland area...

Check the by-state listings at http://www.winjutsu.com/winlinks.html

If you're anywhere near FT Meade there's someone there ("unpublished") who trained with me in San Francisco from beginner to 5th dan (and who was already very experienced in some other arts). PM me if you're interested in getting in touch with him -- I recommend him very highly as someone who "keeps it real". He bounces back and forth a lot between the US and Afghanistan, and recently has begun training Afghan counter-narcotics cops.

. . .one other question how do you prepare for a test like this as my test's do not include anything like this (kenpo guy here) our tests are definitly physical but not this way...

You don't prepare for it. . .or you shouldn't. . . Hatsumi sensei has been saying that for many years now.

Dale Seago

Black Belt
Reaction score
Dale Seago said:
You don't prepare for it. . .or you shouldn't. . . Hatsumi sensei has been saying that for many years now.

I probably should elaborate on that a bit. . .

It's not just an arbitrary decree. Trying to train to pass this test could actually cause you to fail it. What gets transmitted to you from Soke or from the shihan giving the test is not likely to be the same sort of "feeling" you get from anyone/anything else; so if you're "training for the test" you may actually be setting up expectations of what it's going to be like which are not correct. That expectation or assumption can prevent you from perceiving "the real thing" in time to respond when it actually happens.

One aspect of the test is being able to act appropriately, unhesitatingly, and with the right timing, when you have no idea what is actually going on or why you're doing it.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the link posted, there's one guy who appears to pass the test after several "false starts." It's interesting to note the difference in his movement in the last one versus the false starts... The false starts appeared "intentional"; he was moving. The apparent pass appeared to surprise him; he was moved, rather than moving, is the best way I can describe it.

I've never passed or taken this particular test, but I recall times in my own training where I had that sort of feeling. I just suddenly was stepping and blocking, almost along for the ride, and not really sure why I stepped. I've not found anything particularly suited to practicing this other than simply training, with full awareness and attention, and then it comes to you.

Dale Seago

Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree on the fact that it's a different game watching it 'live' but for time beeing , this might do ... :)

Sigh. . .

I thought that link was to a different set of clips I'd already seen on YouTube, so I hadn't looked until just now. This test session is from several years ago: I wasn't present but I know several of the people shown testing.

One of them is Greg Dilley, whom I've known pretty much since the time he began training. Ordained Buddhist minister, experienced and avid diver, devoted husband and father, and ninth dan in the Bujinkan when he died a week ago today (last Tuesday) while scuba diving.

Hatsumi sensei posthumously promoted him to 10th dan on Friday, and in his Sunday class observed a minute of silence in his memory before commencing the training.

greg1.jpg

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Dale my condolences for your loss too. Shihan Dilley by all acounts was a great Budo Taijutsu practitioner and person. My sympathies go out to you and everyone who knew him and especially his family.

Latest Discussions