Does a TKD school need

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was also wondering if a true TKD school need the afterschool programs and summer camps to make ends meet or is this just another instance of supply and demand and to amke it easier on the parents? I mean almost every school around me has either one or the other or even both, so am I wrong by not having one and would you believe this to be hurting my school growth?

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am making a tidy fee currently from just instructing basic karate through a corporate wellness program. It is not the hardcore type of traditional karate I prefer, but then again it's not running a thinly disguised day care either.

The after school pickup programs can be a big money maker though as they generate income by themselves and frequently a full membership for the child also. Depends on your goals and personality... I would hate running something like that.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Our school doesn't do that, but plenty do. Personally, I don't see it as a bad thing as long as the program is quality. However, quality means a larger dollar investment to get good staff (not just high rank students) to run things...taking care of kids is a different skill set than doing MA in a lot of cases.

that being said, it can be a good money maker...but doing it for the money is probably a recipe for disaster. do somethign liek that if it's something you want tto do and it m,akes sense for your school.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was also wondering if a true TKD school need the afterschool programs and summer camps to make ends meet or is this just another instance of supply and demand and to amke it easier on the parents? I mean almost every school around me has either one or the other or even both, so am I wrong by not having one and would you believe this to be hurting my school growth?

No, you don't need it if you are not inclined to have such programs.

Non of thew schools around here offer it as far as I know, they are TKD schools and have a hard enough time fitting that into the day, and we are living in a state with pretty minimal requirements on almost everything.

For a parent it's a nice thing to have a safe environment for the kids, but that does come at a cost. Qualified people are not cheap.

Did you not say once your wife was a professional in that direction?
If so, maybe it is a valuable resource for the school, but if your heart isn't in it, don't touch it, it will show and it will not work well.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No, you don't need it if you are not inclined to have such programs.

Non of thew schools around here offer it as far as I know, they are TKD schools and have a hard enough time fitting that into the day, and we are living in a state with pretty minimal requirements on almost everything.

For a parent it's a nice thing to have a safe environment for the kids, but that does come at a cost. Qualified people are not cheap.

Did you not say once your wife was a professional in that direction?
If so, maybe it is a valuable resource for the school, but if your heart isn't in it, don't touch it, it will show and it will not work well.

My wife is a school teacher and I am a retired one.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
It is supplemental to your MA teaching. It is an add on is all. You don't need it but if you want a little more money then I guess you do it.

School owners don't do the afterschool program because they want to. They want to just teach great martial arts but if doing that is not making ends meet then you find ways to make them meet. You market to drive in business and the afterschool program is just another marketing tool. It expands your business and add another aspect to it but you tie it into your martial arts teaching.

That is it in a nutshell, for more details you should really research it.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My wife is a school teacher and I am a retired one.

Well, so you are qualified (one should think)

But the thing I am reading between the lines is that though I think your wife wanted/did start such a program, your heart is not in it.

Then all the questions of 'should I' are kind of moot, because when you are trying to sell a program you are not behind 100%, it shows. Always.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, so you are qualified (one should think)

But the thing I am reading between the lines is that though I think your wife wanted/did start such a program, your heart is not in it.

Then all the questions of 'should I' are kind of moot, because when you are trying to sell a program you are not behind 100%, it shows. Always.

My wife would like to retire as well and this is one option for her. No I am not really into it but I do not want to become a daycare, if I did I would open one like we did with her father a few years ago but got out of it too many rules to follow and beside I do not want my program water down at all and I am affraid this will begin the journey of it.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, I think one could accomodate both under one roof but as separate things.

But seriously, that's not retireing! :laughing:

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score

And when these kids are ready for a regular program where do you think they will go? To you, or theplace they have been going?

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
And when these kids are ready for a regular program where do you think they will go? To you, or theplace they have been going?

Most likely the MMA school down the street or whatever is in at that time... All kidding a side they will probaly stay where they have been for so many years. Thanks Earl

Mark Jordan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If this is hurting your school's growth then maybe an after school program or summer camp is what you need to catch up.

Try as much as possible to meet your customers (students/parents) demands.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes it seems to be, so I am really considering starting one just to keep students and add some more as well. If anything it will help to keep the doors open and people coming in.

Latest Discussions