Do you want to pay higher taxes

• Yes.

• No.

Results are only viewable after voting.

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a rumor going around that Obama stated that 80% of Americans want to pay higher taxes. Hmmm. I thought I would start a poll and see if the more politically interested members of martialtalk.com here on the study want to pay higher taxes.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I guess I should say that this is not just for the American posters. Other countries have taxes and citizens of those nations can vote as well on this poll.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd love to pay more taxes, why wouldn't you want to? good citizens should always do what their conservative betters tell them to. Taxes in this country go up under the conservatives always.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I already am! As of this spring, 5.9% of my paycheck goes to Massachusetts to pay for services such as Mass. Health that I will never qualify for because I am not a resident.

I cannot vote to change, as I am not a resident.

Taxation without representation is tyranny, or something like that...

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
I already am! As of this spring, 5.9% of my paycheck goes to Massachusetts to pay for services such as Mass. Health that I will never qualify for because I am not a resident.

I cannot vote to change, as I am not a resident.

Taxation without representation is tyranny, or something like that...

You could always sue the Commonwealth, like my ancestor did back in 1780, for that very thing, "taxation without representation," :lfao:.....of course, you'll likely have just as much success....:lfao:

Of course I don't want to pay more taxes-I want to pay less-about 25% would be fine.....as long as everyone else and the corporations were taxed at the same rate.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would love to pay more in taxes.
Provided, the more was an actual dollar amount.
And not a higher percentage.

So, yeah. I want to pay $100,000 a year in taxes.
at 5%.
:D

Otherwise, not no, not hell no, buy Heeeeaaaallll! Noooooo!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You could always sue the Commonwealth, like my ancestor did back in 1780, for that very thing, "taxation without representation," :lfao:.....of course, you'll likely have just as much success....:lfao:Of course I don't want to pay more taxes-I want to pay less-about 25% would be fine.....as long as everyone else and the corporations were taxed at the same rate.
With my luck, I would have the fate of my ancestors ;)

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is an awkward economic interlink that the recent (past 30 years) of tax cuts has lead to the concentration of more wealth in fewer hands and the decimation of the Middle Classes where true wealth generation is born.

Inept taxation is an economic sin, true but without taxation to fund the establishment and maintenance of infrastructure then everyone is a loser. Do I like the fact that as a working stiff I face the tax burden I do? Of course I don't. Do I realise that without it I'd actually be worse off in the long run, aye I do.

Fewer 'leaches' and more sensible expenditure are admirable goals, slashing the Treasuries income sounds nice but has unfortunate consequences.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Funny thing, more millionaires have been made the last few years than in previous years.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Attachments

• $Twin Mountain 013-2 c.jpg
    $Twin Mountain 013-2 c.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 121

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
Do I WANT to pay more taxes? No, not really. Services I am getting from the government are already on the chopping block, so I will be paying more. If my paying more taxes would help straigten out the mess we're in, then rase those too I guess. I'll do my part. I'm willing to sacrifice a bit if it helps my country get back on track. However, using the word "want" is a bit misleading. No one "wants" to pay more taxes.

I do wish that the rich, who pay less effective taxes than the poor or middle class, and corporations, who in large part pay zero taxes, would at least pay thier fair share.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The rich already pay their "fair" share. Also, from the debt ceiling negotiations, it is obvious that you could give these guys every penny ever made and it still wouldn't be enough to fill the hole they keep digging and refuse to stop digging. You have to cut off the money. The only way to do that is to cut taxes, not raise them. They love the fact that decent people are willing to "sacrifice" to help the country. It makes it that much easier to manipulate them into raising taxes so that they can help themselves and their friends. The reason corporations pay zero taxes, like Obama's friends at G.E. is because they buy the politicians. You can raise taxes as high as you want, but the politicians are still going to protect their friends. The best way to deal with the real "greedy" people, the politicians, is to cut off the money.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you do wish to pay more, feel free, no one is stopping you from making a voluntary donation. (probably not tax deductible... :p )

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
No, the rich do not pay thier fair share. That is a fallacy perpetuated to keep the effective median tax rate for the rich at 16%. What is your tax rate guys? I'm betting you pay more than 16%. I know I do. As for corporations, a 0% tax rate is just stupid, especially if they are recieving government funds as well.

Something to think about. Tax rates on the rich are the lowest since the 1950's. If low tax rates on the rich excelerated growth of the middle class, we should have seen this in the last 30 years. Instead we have seen the rich get richer, corporations with record median profits, and the middle class working harder for less pay. The math does not add up.

Latest Discussions