Do you want to evaluate my workout?

OP
A

amateur

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I was curious, so I decided to try this out last night btw. You're right. Took a bit longer than 5 minutes...maybe 10. Made a few adjustments-regular pull ups instead of holding, held the pushup in 'down' position for 3 seconds each, to make 100% certain I wasn't cheating, and side blade kicks instead of snap kicks..don't like snap kicks.

I'm also not in the greatest shape at the moment. It's a good starting point, but if you're still new to working out, I would make sure to add more cardio, add something for your core, and way more stretching. I hate stretching, I think it's the devils work, but it's still important.

Well, I don't know exactly how long it takes, I don't check out the clock all day, 30-45 minutes was how long I felt it takes, but maybe I unconsciously took into consideration the time needed to go to the park to do that workout and back.
For my core, I do leg raises. What's wrong with them?
About stretching, there are different views, even among experts, about its usefulness. I guess it depends on the individual's body. My experience taught me that my only muscles I need to stretch (because I pull otherwise) are my inner thighs.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I don't know exactly how long it takes, I don't check out the clock all day, 30-45 minutes was how long I felt it takes, but maybe I unconsciously took into consideration the time needed to go to the park to do that workout and back.
About stretching, there are different views, even among experts, about its usefulness. I guess it depends on the individual's body. My experience taught me that my only muscles I need to stretch (because I pull otherwise) are my inner thighs.
Nothings wrong with leg raises, IMO they're one of the best core exercises out there. But if you're just doing straight leg raises you're ignoring your obliques.

And stretching in general is important, the question is more of when to stretch and how to stretch, not whether or not stretching as a whole is helpful. If you could find an expert that says 'do not stretch' I would be very interested in his reasoning. Like I said, I hate stretching, but I still force myself to do it. I'm not going to get injured just because I was lazy, plus it helps with flexibility.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just wanted to add, if you can work up to hanging leg raises, those will help a lot more.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm talking about full push ups, sweetie. Inhale as you go all the way down, till your chest brushes the ground, then exhale as you go all the way up. If we're talking about 'cheating reps', I also can do several tens of them, but try to do just ten ones, on your knuckles and on a marble floor, after you have just done the exercises that come before push ups in my workout, and see how 'easy' it is.

You have absolutely no clue about @Buka do you?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

You said you're doing the push ups on a marble floor. The park has a marble floor? That's...unique...

OP
A

amateur

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Kempodisciple:

Lying leg raises are temporary; I'm trying to work my way to hanging ones. They make both my
abs and obliques sore. Maybe you meant they don't work obliques as much as other exercises...

I have tried planks as well, but, since they engage arm muscles, they might interfrere with my
push ups/pull ups. As for the classic sit ups, they hurt my back. That's why I finally picked
leg raises for core.

You misunderstood me. I never said that experts say we shouldn't stretch. I said that some
experts say it's not that beneficial. As long as I do some active lateral lunges, I won't pull a
muscle and I guess it helps with flexibility as well. Do you have any specific stretch in mind I
could add for extra flexibility?

OP
A

amateur

Orange Belt
Reaction score
You said you're doing the push ups on a marble floor. The park has a marble floor? That's...unique...

I have worked out at home as well as in the park. My house has a marble floor, the park has a stone floor.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Kempodisciple:

Lying leg raises are temporary; I'm trying to work my way to hanging ones. They make both my
abs and obliques sore. Maybe you meant they don't work obliques as much as other exercises...

I have tried planks as well, but, since they engage arm muscles, they might interfrere with my
push ups/pull ups. As for the classic sit ups, they hurt my back. That's why I finally picked
leg raises for core.

You misunderstood me. I never said that experts say we shouldn't stretch. I said that some
experts say it's not that beneficial. As long as I do some active lateral lunges, I won't pull a
muscle and I guess it helps with flexibility as well. Do you have any specific stretch in mind I
Yeah, I think that was a misunderstanding. and I would include either leg lifts to the side or russian twists. regular situps suck.
There's a book you would probably like-convict conditioning. It focuses on some of the exercises you're already doing, offers some variations, and helps figure out a progression. You could get it online for like 10 bucks, or probably find a free sample of the first few chapters somewhere.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok, so the thing is that you asked people in the title to evaluate your workout.

Then you said:

I made it myself for my solo training. Tell me what you think about it.

So, a bunch of pretty well experienced martial artists (and me) told you what we thought. Then you got uppity and looked like you wanted to make it a challenge...

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
It takes me 30-45 minutes. I'd like to see you do all that stuff in 5 minutes (no cheating reps and punching/kicking with proper technique); if you can really do that, post a video of yourself and you'll have my respect.
We all have to start somewhere I guess. Good on you.

I'm more than a bit curious how you can stretch that out to the better part of an hour though, I must admit.

OP
A

amateur

Orange Belt
Reaction score
We all have to start somewhere I guess. Good on you.

I'm more than a bit curious how you can stretch that out to the better part of an hour though, I must admit.

I told you that I miscalculated.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Kempodisciple:

leg raises for core.

Missed the part where you asked about what specific stretches would help. I don't think I'm the best to answer that, @JR 137 , you got any advice? (actually tagging you because I think you'd find this thread in general interesting)

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I made it myself for my solo training. Tell me what you think about it.

-Warm up: 25 jumping jacks or some light running.
-Active stretching: 16 lateral lunges.
-20 jab/cross combos (10 per side).
-Isometric ledge pull up (10 breaths long); alternately, if you have built up more strength than me, you can do a number of reps instead.
-Horse stance (20 breaths long).
-10 knuckles push ups.
-15 lying leg raises.
-20 snap kicks (10 per leg).
-20 roundhouse kicks (10 per leg).
-20 push kicks (10 per leg).
-Cool down: 10 chi breaths.
It is awesome you have started to do some exercises and to begin getting into better physical shape.
Our ‘Warm Ups’ for comparison.
- 3 minute jog, skipping, bear crawl, crab walk, carioca type of exercise mix - 30 secs of burpees right after the jog.
- 2 mins relaxed double kick roundhouse kicks with the goal of 25 doubles on each side within the 2 mins.
- 90 secs 100 skip knees minimum.
- 15. 10 count knuckle p/u 10 ct down, 10 ct hold, 10 count up.
- 3 minutes shadow boxing
Light stretching
Then we begin to workout.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
I told you that I miscalculated.
You did? I don't see any more posts from you directed at me after you said it takes 30-45 mins. If you made another post to correct that, it must have not submitted.

Anyhow, cute warmup.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
You did? I don't see any more posts from you directed at me after you said it takes 30-45 mins. If you made another post to correct that, it must have not submitted.

You weren't tagged in it, but it was mentioned...

30-45 minutes was how long I felt it takes, but maybe I unconsciously took into consideration the time needed to go to the park to do that workout and back.

So yeah - 10-15 minutes to walk to the park, a few minutes to select a playlist, a bit of looking around to see if there's anyone pretty watching, "workout", sort yourself out then 10-15 minutes to walk home.

I can see it taking 30-45 minutes for sure ;)

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Because what he posted as a workout, isn't a work out. It's barely a warm up. It's what people who are taking a day off from training do on days they do nothing. Ten push ups? I din't even know push ups came in small packages of ten.
To some people it is a workout depending on their fitness level. If he's not that fit it'd be stupid for him to start trying to do an hours work straight away

D

Deleted member 39746

Assuming you dont do generic exercise at a gym or something as well.

Try and add some weight work either on that exercise for some days or separate to it. also assuming no one has typed this.

It just seems prudent to add it as it exercises your body differently and gets you used to actually lifting and moving weights which can be semi important. At least you wont think its important until you need to drag someone who weighs 90kilos. :p

OP
A

amateur

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I don't like snap kicks.

Just curious, is there any particular reason for not liking snap kicks?

So yeah - 10-15 minutes to walk to the park, a few minutes to select a playlist, a bit of looking around to see if there's anyone pretty watching, "workout", sort yourself out then 10-15 minutes to walk home.

I can see it taking 30-45 minutes for sure ;)

Dunno man, I hadn't given that much thought to my workout's duration, because it had never occurred to me that there is a minimum amount of time training should last, so I never trained with a watch around my wrist. But still, I think the guy who said he can do it in 5 minutes was exaggerating.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm talking about full push ups, sweetie. Inhale as you go all the way down, till your chest brushes the ground, then exhale as you go all the way up. If we're talking about 'cheating reps', I also can do several tens of them, but try to do just ten ones, on your knuckles and on a marble floor, after you have just done the exercises that come before push ups in my workout, and see how 'easy' it is.

There wasn't any conviviality in my respone, no offense meant, honest.

A good part of my career I evaluated exercise, Defensive Tactics and fighting programs for organizations, departments, academies and fighters. I just did a knee jerk eval of what you posted. I was fortune, I did Martial Arts full time for a living.

I have some experience with pushups. They were an integral mainstay of who we were and what we did. On knuckles, fingers, wrist, the back of hands, hammer fists, on ridge hands. All kinds. Zen pushups, jump pushups, clap pushups - clapping behind the back, not in front - partner pushups, weight vest pushups, any kind you can think of. On cement, marble, on stands, on gravel, on roofing shingles on anything and everything you can think of. And, man, I love talking pushups. Pushups are developed to a point where they are no longer an exercise for the body, they are an exercise in discipline. And in a happy, psyched up kind of way.

Besides, they bring out the sweetie in me. :)

Again, no offense meant.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
There wasn't any conviviality in my respone, no offense meant, honest.

A good part of my career I evaluated exercise, Defensive Tactics and fighting programs for organizations, departments, academies and fighters. I just did a knee jerk eval of what you posted. I was fortune, I did Martial Arts full time for a living.

I have some experience with pushups. They were an integral mainstay of who we were and what we did. On knuckles, fingers, wrist, the back of hands, hammer fists, on ridge hands. All kinds. Zen pushups, jump pushups, clap pushups - clapping behind the back, not in front - partner pushups, weight vest pushups, any kind you can think of. On cement, marble, on stands, on gravel, on roofing shingles on anything and everything you can think of. And, man, I love talking pushups. Pushups are developed to a point where they are no longer an exercise for the body, they are an exercise in discipline. And in a happy, psyched up kind of way.

Besides, they bring out the sweetie in me. :)

Again, no offense meant.

You weren’t one of those evil PT instructors that liked to call out “half way down and hold it” while they talk to the class were you... they liked to call them motivational exercises.....evil bastards. Lol

Latest Discussions