Do you think life will be discovered on another planet in your lifetime?

Chrisinmd

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Do you think life will be discovered on another planet in your lifetime? By life I don't even mean it has to be intelligent life. Just some fungus growing on a rock or some bacteria qualifies as life.

Ive read that Jupitor's moon Europa is one of the most likely locations in the Solar System for potential habitability. Life could exist in its under-ice ocean, perhaps in an environment similar to Earth's deep-ocean hydrothermal vents.

Im 42 years young so not sure im going to make it long enough to find out but who knows.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Do you think life will be discovered on another planet in your lifetime? By life I don't even mean it has to be intelligent life. Just some fungus growing on a rock or some bacteria qualifies as life.

Ive read that Jupitor's moon Europa is one of the most likely locations in the Solar System for potential habitability. Life could exist in its under-ice ocean, perhaps in an environment similar to Earth's deep-ocean hydrothermal vents.

Im 42 years young so not sure im going to make it long enough to find out but who knows.

probably not in my or your life time. If its going to happen it will need to be found on mars or its going to have to find us

there are two completing philosophies on life other than our own

one) life is wide spread. thats is given the conditions to support life biogenis will happen, thats support by the fact that life it occured on earth multiple times in multiple in multiple places . the problem with that hypothesis, is the galaxy is so big that the right condition must happen millions of times, some of which will go on to be technological civilisations, some a million years or so before us, so where are the galactic civilization. thats then followed by the depresing theory of the '' great filter'' thats there is an inevitable end to civilisations through natural disaster of they just use their technology to destroy themselves before they conquer space

or the anthropic ( rare earth theory) that we live in a very special place, so special that it only happen once in a galaxy, perhaps only one in an universe, as part of a infinite multiverse.

in which case we are it and no we will never find life elsewhere,

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I am of the opinion that in other galaxies this very question has been asked for a long, long time.

Randy Pio

White Belt
Reaction score
If it were me. I would first establish a presence on the Moon. It is closer and easily observable. The one thing that comes to my mind is right now most surfaces are untainted, but as we continue to explore that is going to change. It is saddening to know this.

Quite a few years ago, I had a conversation with a doctor who was going to Nepal; to help clean up around Mount Everest. He said, apparently climbers simply discard their waste; there is trash everywhere.

The other day, I read an article about Everest; last year was the deadliest year. I can't find the article now. And then, as I was surfing through channels; I caught a segment on Adam Ruins Everything- Nature. It was highlighting these very Everest facts. I kind it weird, how that happens.

Anyway...

-RP

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my lifetime? Not likely. I strongly doubt there is life outside Earth in our solar system. Yes, I know there is a small chance for places like Europa, but the key word there is SMALL. I'm quite sure there is life, even intelligent life, outside this system. But will we ever meet them? I kind of doubt it. Because physics. And economics.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quite a few years ago, I had a conversation with a doctor who was going to Nepal; to help clean up around Mount Everest. He said, apparently climbers simply discard their waste; there is trash everywhere.

It's not just the rubbish they leave, it's the dead bodies as well. At the highest altitudes when people die, and die they do, no one can bring them down due to lack of oxygen and time so they are left there. People just carry on past them on the way to the top and back.
Death in the clouds: The problem with Everest’s 200+ bodies

11 tonnes of rubbish cleared from Everest

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's not just the rubbish they leave, it's the dead bodies as well. At the highest altitudes when people die, and die they do, no one can bring them down due to lack of oxygen and time so they are left there. People just carry on past them on the way to the top and back.
Death in the clouds: The problem with Everest’s 200+ bodies

11 tonnes of rubbish cleared from Everest
That is pretty messed up. I have also read it cost $40k-$50k to make the climb. I love a challenge, but...

Randy Pio

White Belt
Reaction score
The article I read said 100k to retrieve a body. And the main person, the story focused on spent 66k, for the whole thing.

I often wonder how crowded space is, around Earth; how much space rubbish is there- old satellites and such.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That is pretty messed up. I have also read it cost $40k-$50k to make the climb. I love a challenge, but...
I didn't read the whole article, so it might have mentioned this...but the real messed up thing is that they use dead bodies as trail markers/directions.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I didn't read the whole article, so it might have mentioned this...but the real messed up thing is that they use dead bodies as trail markers/directions.
lots of the bodies are left there deliberately so they are ''buried'' on everest, if your going to leave them there, you may as well use them for something useful

its no different to saying'' turn left at the cemetery

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The article I read said 100k to retrieve a body. And the main person, the story focused on spent 66k, for the whole thing.

I often wonder how crowded space is, around Earth; how much space rubbish is there- old satellites and such.

it doesnt cost 100k to get a body of everest, they may charge that, but all you need is a few sherpas and some rope, that doesn't come close to being a 100k, there's some serious profiteering going on there

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

wonder no more i9ve googled it for you

the answer 2500, there not much bigger than a small car, so that's a medium car parks worth of space junk.

as space is according to current view infinite, its going to take quite a while to fill it

at 2500 per 60 years

Randy Pio

White Belt
Reaction score
it doesnt cost 100k to get a body of everest, they may charge that, but all you need is a few sherpas and some rope, that doesn't come close to being a 100k, there's some serious profiteering going on there

But of course, it is a major source of income for Nepal.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is pretty messed up.

Not really. Body recovery is a extremely dangerous. I don't climb mountains, but I do SCUBA dive in caves, which is also a high risk hobby. I suspect that climbing down a mountain carrying a corpse adds about as much difficulty and danger as trying to drag one out of a cave. Should I ever screw up and die in a cave, there better not be any effort whatsoever to recover my body.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Send us some pictures when you make the climb @jobo. Should be a snap for you.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not really. Body recovery is a extremely dangerous. I don't climb mountains, but I do SCUBA dive in caves, which is also a high risk hobby. I suspect that climbing down a mountain carrying a corpse adds about as much difficulty and danger as trying to drag one out of a cave. Should I ever screw up and die in a cave, there better not be any effort whatsoever to recover my body.
I thin I get your point. IF I died in an area where it was high risk just to retrieve my body I would not want someone to risk a recovery attempt. IF I knowingly chose to attempt something like climbing Everest then anyone concerned (family and such) would know that may be my final resting place.
There were two times when I was LEO that I helped recover bodies from auto accidents where the vehicle went off a cliff. We spent the better part of the daylight hours of 2 days on one of them. And that is considering we had tons of people, equipment, and tools to help. It was very challenging and humbling. They were both teenagers which made the whole thing more traumatic for the parents.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Send us some pictures when you make the climb @jobo. Should be a snap for you.
i dont need to climb it to estimate the unit costs.

lets say 4 sherpa on $50 a day, two weeks of time, though both of those are on the highside and the use of some equipment

$ 4000 seems a fair price

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As for extraterrestrial life, it wasn't too long ago that if you were in certain occupations and reported a UFO it was career suicide.

Last night on some down time I was perusing through some of the FAA stuff at the airport. This caught my eye.

FAA.jpeg

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don’t think we’ll find anything for quite some time. And most likely not “intelligent life.”

I don’t believe we’ve been visited by anyone from a galaxy far, far away. But to say there’s no life in any form anywhere else in the entire universe doesn’t make much sense to me. I’m willing to bet there’s a rock out there about the same size as ours, about the same distance away from a star, with an atmosphere like ours, etc. I don’t know what the statistics are of another planet with all the same essential conditions as ours, but the universe is allegedly infinite; therefore there’s got to be at least one other, right?

I wonder if some guy is sitting on his toilet and typing this on a forum on a planet thousands of light years away at this very moment just like I am. :D

Latest Discussions