Do you think life will be discovered on another planet in your lifetime?

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
as far as i've been following it, we currently know of two star systems that have rocky planets in the so called goldilocks zone, ours and one other, but we have no idea if they ( there are quite a number going round this star 5 or 7 from memory ) contain liquid water, have an atmosphere or a magnetosphere, all 3 of which seem a prerequisite for life

having found one such system its a reasonable conclusion there are lots more, but we don't know that as fact

water is abundant in the universe, however earth does have a great deal of it, far more than would occur during its formation, which is not fully understood where it came from, perhaps from being bombarded by asteroids, which may be a very unusual occurrence in other systems

earths atmosphere is protected by its magnetosphere, which itself seems unusually large, because we have an unusually large iron core, that they don't understand why, possibly because earth and its moon is an amalgamation of two planets, so it has the iron core of two planets and then the gravity caused by the mass of nearly two planets which helps it keep hold of its atmosphere

it also has a very unusually large moon for its size, which places a very strong gravitational pull and gives tides etc, that may or may not have created the conditions for life, as we have no idea what caused biogenis its hard to say

venus is dead because it has to much volcanic activity, mars because it has to little, yet both are rocky planets in the zone, give or take a bit, life on earth has been made all but extinct by volcanic activities on at least two occasions and by asteroid strikes on another two, and it nearly died out because there was to much oxygen and was saved by volcanic activity

its little short of a miracle that life survived at all.so even if life starts there no guarantee it will last all that long

so its a little more than just a numbers game
A lot of that is dated info, although at one time considered to be accurate.

New Study Shows That Life Is Likely Abundant In Universe

www.space.com/amp/1686-life-building-blocks-abundant-space.html

Why the idea of alien life now seems inevitable and possibly | Cosmos

The idea that life should be rare is mostly a religious idea these days.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A lot of that is dated info, although at one time considered to be accurate.

New Study Shows That Life Is Likely Abundant In Universe

www.space.com/amp/1686-life-building-blocks-abundant-space.html

Why the idea of alien life now seems inevitable and possibly | Cosmos

The idea that life should be rare is mostly a religious idea these days.
its dated in that it was current about a months ago, the last time i popped on to PBS space time.

i'm not picking through, reams of text to see what your point is, can you express your objections are to what i wrote above, nothing from a periphery glance seems to contradict it ?

Last edited:

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
its dated in that it was current about a months ago, the last time i popped on to PBS space time.

i'm not picking through, reams of text to see what your point is, can you express your objections are to what i wrote above, nothing from a periphery glance seems to contradict it ?
In a nutshell, the preponderance of the current evidence seems to indicate life should be everywhere.

Also, never trust infotainment for sound science. ;)

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In a nutshell, the preponderance of the current evidence seems to indicate life should be everywhere.

Also, never trust infotainment for sound science. ;)
well that statement does not at all contradict any of my statement above. and it clearly cant be EVERYWHERE, you've not got that from a scientific journal, that's just made up by you

as you've taken the time to tell me im wrong, it would be nice for you to actual specify which of my statements are incorrect and hopeful point out which bit of which article actually contradicts me

Last edited:

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
well that statement does not at all contradict any of my statement above. and it clearly cant be EVERYWHERE, you've not got that from a scientific journal, that's just made up by you

as you've taken the time to tell me im wrong, it would be nice for you to actual specify which of my statements are incorrect and hopeful point out which bit of which article actually contradicts me
I posted the studies/articles. You said you can't be added to read them. I gave a nutshell summary when asked. I have 0 inclination to pick out the bits you might like to save you some effort lol.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I posted the studies/articles. You said you can't be added to read them. I gave a nutshell summary when asked. I have 0 inclination to pick out the bits you might like to save you some effort lol.
i ive read them and they don't contradict anything i said, as you insist they do, its safe to assume that you haven't read them at all. , just googled and copied links,assuming they do

it seems to be you who is lacking effort

lets take your other claim, that there is a preponderance of EVIDENCE that life is abundant, that just untrue, there is no evidence that life besides are own exists at all.

unless i've missed an important news broadcast whilst replying to you

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
its a little more than just a numbers game

Not really.

Every point you raised is subject to a calculable likelihood index. They may or may not compound each other, but the fact it happened once is conclusive evidence that it's theoretically probable that it's happened elsewhere.

EVERYTHING is a numbers game.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not really.

Every point you raised is subject to a calculable likelihood index. They may or may not compound each other, but the fact it happened once is conclusive evidence that it's theoretically probable that it's happened elsewhere.

EVERYTHING is a numbers game.
well no its not, there is no evidence that its theoretical possible, theories never have sufficient evidence, that's why they are theories

that would require us to understand biogenis, and as we dont we have conjecture, hypothesis and well nothing else at all

theres only two ways to evidence thats its THEORETICALLY possible, one is to find it and the other is to make it in a test tube

my point was that its not just a point of saying theres upwards of a trillion planets in the galaxy, it MUST have happen elsewhere.

thats not how probabilities work, any thing no matter how vanishingly unlikely it may be can happen once in an infinite universe, that's no indication that it will ever happen again before the heat death of the universe

Last edited:

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
i ive read them and they don't contradict anything i said, as you insist they do, its safe to assume that you haven't read them at all. , just googled and copied links,assuming they do

it seems to be you who is lacking effort

lets take your other claim, that there is a preponderance of EVIDENCE that life is abundant, that just untrue, there is no evidence that life besides are own exists at all.

unless i've missed an important news broadcast whilst replying to you
I also have no inclination to have 'the jobo experience' today. Believe as you will old chap.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
theres only two ways to evidence thats its THEORETICALLY possible, one is to find it and the other is to make it in a test tube

Erm, we've found life in the universe already...

Look, there's some here:

IMG_20191216_230808998~2.jpg

To me, that's pretty conclusive evidence that life is possible on some random planet spinning it's way through space on the edge of a bewilderingly large galaxy (a galaxy that's not even all that big in the scheme of things).

So, unless you're claiming that this planet was chosen to be unique and constructed by some form of intelligent designer then really it's the chances that it hasn't happened elsewhere that are ridiculously small.

And even if that is the case, then an intelligent designer itself is another form of life existing in the universe...

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Erm, we've found life in the universe already...

Look, there's some here:

View attachment 22618

To me, that's pretty conclusive evidence that life is possible on some random planet spinning it's way through space on the edge of a bewilderingly large galaxy (a galaxy that's not even all that big in the scheme of things).

So, unless you're claiming that this planet was chosen to be unique and constructed by some form of intelligent designer then really it's the chances that it hasn't happened elsewhere that are ridiculously small.

And even if that is the case, then an intelligent designer itself is another form of life existing in the universe...
the only thing im claiming is you have a complete absence of evidence for any thing your saying, other than the dog obviously that possibly true, though in still life it could be stuffed

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
the only thing im claiming is you have a complete absence of evidence for any thing your saying

Is that because there aren't aliens on YouTube?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Is that because there aren't aliens on YouTube?
there's lots of aliens on you tube, looney after loony posts up pictures, they seem to be running with the same evidentiary standard as you, ie non

mostly im saying you have absolutely no evidence for anything your saying because you have absolutely no evidence

Last edited:

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
there's lots of aliens on you tube, looney after loony posts up pictures, they seem to be running with the same evidentiary standard as you, ie non

mostly im saying you have absolutely no evidence for anything your saying because you have absolutely no evidence

So I await your evidence to support your counter claim, because as yet none has been forthcoming.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So I await your evidence to support your counter claim, because as yet none has been forthcoming.
ive not made a claim, not in my conversation with you, other than you have no evidence which i know because no evidence exist or there would have been a nobel prize awarded, if you do indeed have such get on the phone to them, i think its worth a million, that might be krona ? but still worth the phone call

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Definition of infotainment: reference PBS.;)
Hey.. don't pick on PBS (Public Broadcasting Service). I grew up with that and I still watch shows from it from time to time.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
well no its not, there is no evidence that its theoretical possible, theories never have sufficient evidence, that's why they are theories

that would require us to understand biogenis, and as we dont we have conjecture, hypothesis and well nothing else at all

my point was that its not just a point of saying theres upwards of a trillion planets in the galaxy, it MUST have happen elsewhere.

thats not how probabilities work, any thing no matter how vanishingly unlikely it may be can happen once in an infinite universe, that's no indication that it will ever happen again before the heat death of the universe
Let me ask you Jobo, do you use electricity? There is no actual proof of it's existence. However the evidence of it's effects, based on theoretical data proves it does in fact exist. We can only 'see' the individual components of electricity.
Your argument makes zero sense.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Let me ask you Jobo, do you use electricity? There is no actual proof of it's existence. However the evidence of it's effects, based on theoretical data proves it does in fact exist. We can only 'see' the individual components of electricity.
Your argument makes zero sense.
you cant see any of the component of electricity, well not with the naked eye that and there is ONLY one component, you didn't study electrical engineering did you ? just a guess

stick to cow metaphors , your probably not out of your depth with that

Last edited:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
you cant see any of the component of electricity, well not with the naked eye that and there is ONLY one component, you didn't study electrical engineering did you ? just a guess

stick to cow metaphors , your probably not out of your depth with that
Thank you, livestock is one of my most endeared passions. Coming from you it doesn't count for much but I will take it.
I was hoping you would walk into this one. I have two Graduate degrees, one in Electrical Engineering, I am an article contributor to the Journal, IEEE, and ASME, something easily to find had you taken the time to check my profile. Failure one for you. There are 3 fundamental elements necessary to create electricity as we know it. Failure two for you. You do get one passing grade for again showing how big a douche you insist on being. Most all your remarks are very unbecoming and show a drastic lack of maturity.
As far as cattle are concerned, most cattle operations in the US are not mom and pop out tending a heard in their past time like it is over there. Ours are efficient, for profit businesses ran with that mindset. You(r) country has gotten so accustomed to loosing you have an extreme case of Patty Hearst Syndrome. It has been going on so long, you are like the ball in a pinball machine, you never who, what, where, when, how, why you will be next.

My apologies to others from across the pond. Nothing directed at you.