Do you practice kicking a bag every class?

Tarot

Purple Belt
Reaction score
One of the major things I'm looking for in a new school is being able to practice kicking a bag and target. In order to help build strength, get accostomed to how the kick works, and understand what that kick feels like, I think it's important to practice on targets.

How often do you all practice on targets/bags in class? The trial program I'm currently in at a potential school, I have had two classes and have yet to practice on a target. We do a lot of kicking the air, which I have no problem with but I want to also combine that with actually kicking a target. Since I'm still very new to the world of MA and training, I was wondering how common it is to practice with targets during class. :)

Laborn

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My class, we always kick either a bag or pad ect. Usually we start class by a warm up, then kick air down the mat and back, then pads, then we do stamina class with pads/bags. Basically my class kicks alot, but just buy a heavy bag, or wave master, or heck even a bush will work for some things.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hmmm...

My previous school had a few wavemasters and Bob's that we would do drills on prety regularly. And the stundents would go nuts on them before class as well.

My current school we do a *lot* of combination drills so this is done with pads so the instructor can change positioning of the target(s) through the combination. We break out the wavemaster for more 'movin'g kicks like back kicks and push kicks.

and I kept a heavy bag in my garage for *really* going to town on.

That being said, every class is a small piece of the picture and a lot of times the instructor has a view of the big picture that the student cannot see. Not having worked against targets after two classes is possibly no big deal as it just happens to be what the instructor wants you to work on for *that* class.

Also, for a beginner or working on a new technique, there can be a lot of body mechanics to work out first in just executing the kick before you even worry about resistance or a target or anything So sometimes it's good just to work 'in the air' without a target or anything to make sure you have the biomechanics of the kick at least down well enough to execute correctly before you start 'aiming' it. I know someties working against targets if the target is off a bit or something that I will tend to compensate my motion and mechanics to make sure I hit the target, which is I suppose sensible when doing the kick for intent, but is a bad way to learn a kick to begin with.

In other words, yes, kicking against a target or against resistance is important, but there are times and reasons not to as well, and two classes is too small a slice of training to build an adequate assement of the class based on this criteria. It's probably intentional but it's probably also not bad, I woud think

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
We kick a paddle, or a bag, or each other at every class-reagardless of rank. I frankly don't see the benefit of NOT kicking something. Even if you are working on just a part of a kick (for example, bringing up the knee) you can still use a target to confirm how high the knee is coming up, whether it is coming up straight, how fast it is coming up, etc.

Conversely, I can see the problem with not kicking something-you need some reaction force/impact so you don't hyperextend your knee or hip.

Miles

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nearly every class where I go to has bag work. Not the entirety, though. Like you, Tarot, I like bag work. I think it gives the feel of kick. You know if you're kicking the right way, need more power, etc.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We don't every class, but we do twice a week. We rotate forms, self defense, sparring, and drills, so we get a "taste" of everything throughout the week.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have about ten standup bags so we use those alot. A kickboxing workout, continuous kicking, punching etc. on bags is great though for general conditioning. We either do variations on those bags, or paddle, blastmaster, pads or drills on each other with chest gear. Working on a technique specific to your belt or something you want to get better at, requires extra time. Sometimes this is alloted in class, sometimes you have to stay after or come early to practice. Sometimes we do air kicking especially if there are alot of students in the class. It lends itself to multiple target practice better doing different combinations. Also it is good to do air kicking for technique, balance, target practice and its also cardio if it is continuous. We also do flexibility, target practice on suspended balls-also an air kick. So everything has a purpose, its better just to have it diverse with enough cardio and conditioning to build up or maintain. TW

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, we do.
Class usually starts off with 100 kicks, 100 knees, 100 elbows against either pads or bag for warm ups. Then most of the class involves hitting, kicking, kneeing, or elbowing drills against pads. Finishing up with sparring or speed drills.

Most classes end with having done at least 500 kicks on a low kick night.
As many as 1000 on kicking nights. Very little air kicking. Only to show or work basic movement and positioning. Rest of the time against pad, bag, or person.

Danny

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wasn't saying it was ok to always kick air but I think kicking air is a reality, unless your school always has enough bags or pads and holders, and you never practice in your house unless you have the heavy bag or wavemaster in your house, and you never do forms that have kicks , and you never miss your opponent.

I believe kicking with control includes being able to kick and stop the kick at the proper point, whether you are doing light contact or no contactsparring drills or other exercises. Especially if practicing in a context where a bag is not available.

And I do remember the first time I tried a spinning back kick or a tornado kick. I did not have a target; the body mechanics were difficult enough just to figure out where to put my feet and where to turn my body and the whole confusing mess.

Back to the original question, I would not be surprised if a school had a beginner go through two classes without having kicked a bag otr target.

Jagermeister

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If there's no target, how can you train for accuracy? Maybe check out another school. It won't hurt.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can visualize a target, it doesn't have to be there to kick it. We were doing slide-round kick, alternating directions/legs. The "target" was the line where the mats went together at 90° to you. Also we have done air kicking to a paddle. One time the paddle is there, the next the holder takes it away. As FF says, it teaches you control and stopping your kick. It also teaches you what it feels to miss and how to regain your balance, bringing your kicking leg tucking back in and back. Not easy at first. TW

Faye

Green Belt
Reaction score
I train 5 days a week, different instructors every week. I would say 90% of the time, we have some sort of bag kicking drills. I was told that we need to work on power when kicking bags, and if your partner is alot smaller than you, you also need to learn how to use control, and you should be able to do it pretty hard but not making your partner fly across the floor. We also use pads for accuracy... we sometimes do paper cups for hook and round accuracy which is really really fun.
To me, kicking into the bag is alot more tiring that kicking in the air, i'm not sure if it's because I tend not to use so much power when I kick in the air or what...

DuneViking

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Not nearly as much as we kick each other. Its a double edged exercise for both the kicker and the target. The area is usually the abdomen with a round, crescent, side , or front kick. Not just for feeling the impact, but also to refine control. Bag work 1-2 times a month for beginners. Adv students usually work on it b4 or after class, we only have one bag up for the moment. Ideally, yes, every workout would be best.

Slippery_Pete

Green Belt
Reaction score
Depends on the class and the material being covered that night...

During team practice, we do a lot of bag work because it helps you work on your doubles, triples, quads, etc. until you get the hang of them...then it is important to take that to a real person wearing a hogu because unfortuantly, the bag has no elbows (not sure that is a bad thing)

Regular classes use a lot of hand targets or paddles...I like this because it helps you with targeting...smaller target than the bag but you can still wail on it

Latest Discussions