Do you ever just sit in at a class and watch?

TKDinAK

Orange Belt
Reaction score
A couple weeks before my recent test for green belt, I was training hard, and pulled/strained a stomach muscle. Gotta say, you never know how much them particular muscles have a part in what you do, until one is screaming at you. Talk about limiting! Jumping was excruciating... and I was to perform a jump side kick for my test break.

I ended up passing my test with flying colors... with said stomach muscle still very vocal and angry with me... but also walked away with a separated/bruised rib (charged a much younger, heavier and taller red belt, and was nailed with a solid side kick... lesson number 2,350, duely noted and in the bank.).

So, for the first time in my eight months of training, I took a break from class. I usually go to class four times a week, so the break in training has been difficult. Very difficult. In the meantime, to keep the withdrawals at bay, I went to several of the classes I would normally attend, just to watch and gleen what I could from sitting in a chair.

I had previously went to quite a few advanced classes, just to watch and get an idea of what lay ahead in my training... but had never sat in on a class of my own rank and relative experience. Gotta say, it has been a great learning experience.

When training, my focus is solely on what I am doing... so I dont get much of a perspective for comparison purposes. Of course, my instructor performs the patterns and drills and such, but I am nowhere near the place where I can critique his movements. It all appears perfect to me right now.

That said... watching my peers go about their business has been a real eye opener. Being able to get a sense of where I'm at in comparison to those of near rank, has been of great value. Stances, strikes, kicks, blocks... everyone has their strong points, and weak points. And while it's very difficult to critique myself, observing my classmates has given me the unique oportunity to see those things that are done well, in the midst of those done not so well. For instance, in patterns, by observing I could readily see why some things were not working... maybe it's the chamber, maybe a stance is too narrow or too long... could be someone is not relaxing between movements... or is too relaxed. For many other things, I had no clue why it was working or not.

But the most valuable thing I have gained, is that I have come up with so many more questions! I'm just a noob at this, so maybe(probably) this is something that is common for peeps who have been at it for years and years. Just curious though, as to others' experiences in taking the time specifically to observe their classmates as a learning tool.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
You, My Good Man, have learned Retrospect.

Ive never sat out a Class, but due to the Size of our Dojang, Sparring Sets are often Cycled. So whilst one Group Rests and Spectates, the other Spars. Then swaps over.

I feel that simply watching can have Perks.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, obviously it has worked for you. I don't think I ever sat out a clase (Hapkido) due to injury. The one injury I couldn't get around (pulled a ligament or tendon in my foot) caused me to miss doing a lot of techniques, but I did what I could. When I began teaching, both as a lower belt, then as a BB, I did note some of what you say. When you are teaching you look for different things, like why it does or doesn't work. Good observation on your part.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I often ask my students to attend belt examinations in which they are not participating for precisely the reasons the OP has outlined. Watching someone else test should be very illuminating for colored belts, particularly if the tests are at the brown belt level and higher.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's why I encourage students to attend class and watch, even if they can't train for some reason (injury, fatigue, even just no time to change clothes). You can learn a lot -- and gain a different perspective from watching when you're not trying to do.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
Due to my illness sometimes my body isn't willing to do what I want it to. Those days I watch and help as I can. It'll definitley give you a different perspective.

sopraisso

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hey!
Sorry for being so late to reply. I wish at home things could be done as soon as we have to do them at work!

TKDinAK I think we're both in similar situations. I've been training for 1 year and 2 months and there's a lot I can take from watching classes like that. Actually I never really sit and just watch, but things like sparring sets and other stuff are cycled, as in Cyriacus's classes. I also watch other belt tests and it's always a good lesson.
One thing interesting about it, to me, is having been able to notice my improvement. When I see lesser belts tests, I can understand the differences from now, how I was at the time, too, and if there's still some flaw that I have to correct yet.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey!
Sorry for being so late to reply. I wish at home things could be done as soon as we have to do them at work!

TKDinAK I think we're both in similar situations. I've been training for 1 year and 2 months and there's a lot I can take from watching classes like that. Actually I never really sit and just watch, but things like sparring sets and other stuff are cycled, as in Cyriacus's classes. I also watch other belt tests and it's always a good lesson.
One thing interesting about it, to me, is having been able to notice my improvement. When I see lesser belts tests, I can understand the differences from now, how I was at the time, too, and if there's still some flaw that I have to correct yet.

Also;
Personally, I have Home Videos from when I was still a dinky Yellow Belt with about 6 Months of Experience.

I usually just watch that, and laugh at all the silly mistakes and incapabilities that were Present :)
Its a great way of reminding yourself how far youve come.

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've sat and watched my class a few times and it's always been very eye-opening. It's amazing what you can see from the sidelines that you can't see when you're on the mat. :)

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I used to just watch and observe at times and it is a very good learning experience from that outside perspective just to see how others perform their techniques. Even after I had been training in TKD for a while and and had been advancing upward, I would watch the students, my fellow practitioners, go through training drills and they would make it look so simple, easy and effortless. I would then reflect on when I first started TKD and how the simplest of TKD drills were so stinking hard to accomplish when you're a beginner...

It' true about the saying, it's all about training, training, training to make the difficult simple.

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
For decades I have always encouraged students when stating they do not feel good or have a particular injury to come anyway and sit and watch. Every class may have something new you will miss my not being there and you can learn by watching. As long as you do not have a sickness that is going to make other sick come. a cast on a arm should not stop you as well or even leg you can do what is reasonalbe and bow out on some.

It not all about kicks and punches you may be able to contribute in some way that helps the general good and teaching of others and if you have a good instructor don't just listen to what he teaches but how does he communicate and motivate others to follow.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
For decades I have always encouraged students when stating they do not feel good or have a particular injury to come anyway and sit and watch. Every class may have something new you will miss my not being there and you can learn by watching. As long as you do not have a sickness that is going to make other sick come. a cast on a arm should not stop you as well or even leg you can do what is reasonalbe and bow out on some.

It not all about kicks and punches you may be able to contribute in some way that helps the general good and teaching of others and if you have a good instructor don't just listen to what he teaches but how does he communicate and motivate others to follow.

You've described where I am right now. Ten days past knee surgery (meniscus), so it' s a time for me to study technique of both higher students and instructors.

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I always try to come and supervise when I can't participate. There are many benefits.

When I first started training I felt intimidated at the experience of others, for some reason I thought I'd never get it. Having to sit out once with a minor injury gave me the chance to see everyone's foibles from a distance. And I could see that everyone had their own unique movement style, which made me feel a lot better about my own foibles and not doing things the "right" way.

What everyone else said about learning from observation. Generally, there's still something you can do and your teacher might be happy to have you make those occasional cameos on the mats. And there's no harm in taking notes and asking questions.

Also, I think it's very motivational to keep that social contact going too. It takes a village to keep everyone focused and motivated to do all the work involved in earning the next belt and improving techniques. I found with my current injury (still out four ****ing months and counting!) I was losing all motivation to come back at all when I skipped. But it's good to have that close reminder of why I train and how much fun it really is. And my training partners are good folks and I enjoy their company before and afterwards. So it's still worth the trip.

So don't be afraid to show up and supervise. Your teacher will respect it, it'll boost your learning curve, and you'll have fun too.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In August of 2010, I had surgery for cancer. 18" of gut removed. The surgery was on Tuesday and I left the hospital the following Tuesday. We got home about 2PM, and at 4PM I said "It's time for clas, let's get going". My wife thought I was kidding at first...

That first day back I spent at the back of the class, watching and offering suggestions to the lower ranks. It confirmed that I am not good at just watching. I was back in uniform Thursday, doing the best I could. I wasn't exactly at my best... kicks were low, I had little power in any technique (you cannot really generate power without your abdominals) but I did what I could. Six weeks after surgery I was able to test, including free sparring. Two months after surgery, I was lugging my SCUBA gear all over Curacao.

Did my surgeon approve? Not officially, since we live in a culture where the lawsuit lottery is considered an early retirement program by so many. He wouldn't dare. It's certainly true that I could have hurt myself. In general, he'll say the same thing I've told patients for years. Dont sit around. Be as active as you can. But you can't endorse going straight back to something like MA training when you really don't know if the person will have sense enough not to hurt themselves.

In my opinion, if you really can't do anything but watch, then that is better than nothing. But do what you can, even if it's weak. Even if it's only part of the class.

Typing this took way too long... but I broke my left hand a week before my Chodan test, and the cast hasn't come off yet. It's really a pain typing like this...

Latest Discussions