do you drink in the dojo

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
ok, i've been watching this discussion play out here and on other boards i frequent. i guess i just don't understand what the major hangup is.!?!

some folks seem to be taking it way too seriously, and looking for reasons and rationale to either denounce it (unprofessional, bad influence, certain traditional views and moral code) or support it (reality based training, different traditional views and moral code)

well, if drinking beer in the training space is something that would offend you, your personal beliefs, or not fit within your paradigm for martial training or what a martial arts studio represents... then don't go to that school. it is probably not a good match for you on several levels, this likely being the tip of an iceberg.

if on the other hand, you find it enhances the comaraderie, does not offend your sense of propriety, or cause what you would consider a dangerous situation, cool... the place is probable a good fit for you.

personally, i have participated in a St Paddy's Day Boxing & Beer Extravaganza, which was a load of fun and would do again in a NY minute. but to be clear, all were consenting adults, some of whom did not drink but chose to fight sober. it was not allowed to get 'out of control', so my opinion was that while it was fun & safe, it did not qualify as reality based training.

pete

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well if you went to an event called St Paddy's Day Boxing & Beer Extravaganza, you would expect some drinking involved and could make a decision if you want to be involved or not. If you just went to a regular class and someone broke out a case of bud then It's different. Don't get me wrong drinking one way or another does not bother me in the least but It may others. It seemed to bother the op enough to bring this topic up.

Pacificshore

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I suppose it can be a moral delimma for some and not for others. However, is there or would there be a difference if you simply take out the dojo and change the setting to a class room at your child's school? I know this may be a lil off topic, but maybe not?!

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I suppose it can be a moral delimma for some and not for others. However, is there or would there be a difference if you simply take out the dojo and change the setting to a class room at your child's school? I know this may be a lil off topic, but maybe not?!

Well, if you had booze around kids, then you're screwing up IMO.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think that is the point being made. Alcohol has about as much place in the dojo as smoking or swearing does in church. It's simply inappropriate.

Of course, my background is koryu and thus coloured by a sense of the martial arts as being as much about spirituality as kicking seven bells out of each other. Plus, my art involves swords which is another reason for not reducing your sense of awareness one iota.

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm kinda old school about it all:

"It is necessary to drink alcohol and pursue other fun human activities. The karate of someone who is too serious has no flavor."---Choki Motobu

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
maybe it has more to do with where and with whom you train and what you expect from your training experience.

Pacificshore said:
would there be a difference if you simply take out the dojo and change the setting to a class room at your child's school?
who said anything about minors? not all martial styles cater to the kinder-club.

Sukerkin said:
Of course, my background is koryu and thus coloured by a sense of the martial arts as being as much about spirituality as kicking seven bells out of each other.
i can guarantee that your art does not have a monopoly on spirituality, and well i do know of a highly spirtual being that did some neat tricks to make water a little more lively.

again, its up to the individual running the school and the students who choose to go. safety is paramount, but that is the case with or without imbibing. yes, excess could lead to indiscretion so i'd be wary of a place that seems out of control, or drinking around kids and such.

the way i see it, there are many factors that go into the personality of a school. there are different traditions, many of which are contradictory across disciplines... for example, wearing of uniforms vs no set uniforms, the use of music during training vs no music, shoes vs barefeet, asking questions openly vs waiting to be told what to do, etc. etc. etc. then you have the business aspects, such as contracts vs no contract, test fees vs no fees, black belt clubs vs no special clubs, etc. etc. etc. Don't be the square peg in the round hole, and don't try and tell the studio owner how to run his school.. life's about the choices we make.

Make your choice and be happy.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i can guarantee that your art does not have a monopoly on spirituality, and well i do know of a highly spirtual being that did some neat tricks to make water a little more lively.

I hope that the impression you drew from my words was not an implication that only the art I currently practise had a spiritual dimension? That was most assuredly not my intent.

What I was aiming at was that it was an example of one of the more heavily tradition shrouded arts and that those arts favour a more spiritual dimension to both the development of the student but, pertinent to the subject, also where the training is done. Hence, the church analogy.

Make your choice and be happy.

Quite so - preferably with a decent bottle of wine on hand :D.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For those that have read this whole thread let me state that NO I do not promote the idea of drinking within the school by students or instructor.

I will not however throw a student out of class unless I feel he is a danger to himself or others. He may be regulated to doing forms, exercises, or whatever all night, but if he/she shows up i will work to have him and the rest of the class learn from his mistake.

The practice of the martial arts takes on many forms and differs for each individual. Learning comes from many venues including observation, over coming difficulties and handicaps, and many other things not usually thought about. Dealing with such issues is something each student and instructor must do by and of themselves. We learn from many things in life and if we are fortunate we evolve a little with each experience

OP
ackks10

ackks10

Purple Belt
Reaction score
well i can see that we are still one happy family,btw, i don't drink at all (i know i said that before) but if a student comes to class with the smell of it on him /her than that person would have to leave.:shock:

ps it feels good to come back and see everyone,thank you again.

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
In the days when I drank..(sounds like a rock song doesn't it???) I would frequently find myself in discussion that led to physical discussion...in most cases it ended up with an injury typically minor and usually due to too much beer...leading to impaired focus which usually left somebody with a bruise....Now in most of those cases it did prove the point ( to that person) that this stuff works (which was the typical beginning of each discussion)...

I have more memories behind me than in front and as such I want those as clear headed as possible...doesn't mean I'll remember them all (as my wife frequently points out...but that is whole 'nother thread...)

Would I drink alcohol in the the dojo...no...

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
doesn't mean I'll remember them all (as my wife frequently points out...but that is whole 'nother thread...)
off topic but tell me about it mine points out the same thing

Latest Discussions