do you drink in the dojo

ackks10

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Heres one for you, i was at this school (kenpo) and after the last class, the teacher went and got a beer and was drinking it,
eek.gif
(i don't drink) and i don't have anything against anyone who does, (except when you drive), but i was taken back with this
mad.gif
, what do you people think about this,i mean in the dojo????

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Heres one for you, i was at this school (kenpo) and after the last class, the teacher went and got a beer and was drinking it,
eek.gif
(i don't drink) and i don't have anything against anyone who does, (except when you drive), but i was taken back with this
mad.gif

I would have a problem with that.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
eek.gif
mad.gif

Hmm...this sounds like an interesting story George. I'm going to have to call you for this one. :)

As for the question...the only thing someone should be drinking in the dojo is water or a sports drink. If someone wants to go out for a drink afterwards, fine, but no alcohol should be consumed in the dojo.

Mike

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Quite right.

If you're dealing with a koryu art, nothing should be consumed on the dojo floor (unless medically required).

Certainly no alcohol or other stimulant/depressant substance should be consumed on the premesis, let alone on the dojo floor.

It has exactly the same connotations as swearing (or other inappropriate behaviour) in church.

For example, even before the change in law over here on smoking in public places and despite the fact that our dojo is in a sports hall in a community centre, my sensei would go outside to have a smoke.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Anything that could impair a person is unsafe and to be avoided. That said, there have been times when the weather was hot and class was slow. Guru Plinck offered cold drinks including beer to one and all. It was appropriate for the situation and wasn't a problem. Strangely enough, that's never happened when class was in the garage or the welding shop. It only happens during the Summer and out of doors.

People bring non alcoholic drinks all the time. Hydration is important. On cold days or for Saturday morning classes coffee is appreciated. As I have said before, Silat is caffeine-based martial art :)

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For example, even before the change in law over here on smoking in public places and despite the fact that our dojo is in a sports hall in a community centre, my sensei would go outside to have a smoke.

I still do...Smoking in the dojo, dojang is just WRONG..The ONLY drink allowed is WATER, or my favorite Ice Tea...

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
eek.gif
mad.gif

I have a problem with it too - if there's an after-class or after-event get-together that's held in the dojang, that's one thing - but during class? Never. Hydration liquids only. I realize that there are those who feel that beer is a hydration liquid (and it is) - but alcohol has no place in the dojang when people are working out.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That is a big problem with me, what ones does outside the school his there own business but inside the school, that is like drinking in a court house. Just plain stupid !!!!!

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, since my dojo is my garage, never when students are there.

plus, we need to remember, your dojo is where ever you teach. If there is no class going on, it's just a building.

you can learn, or teach anywhere

Matt

Black Belt
Reaction score
eek.gif
mad.gif

I'm interpreting this as the beer was obtained after the class was over, yes? If so, that's a little unorthodox, but not too out of the realm of possibility.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We don't have alcohol in my dojo and I haven't seen it allowed in other dojos that I know of. The only exception was that on one of my own tests we each were given a small sip of some kind of rice wine at the end of the ceremony but this was hardly enough to taste and was part of the traditional ceremony. There was also non-alcoholic beverage for those that opted to sip that instead.

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
there should be a clear separation btwn training and socializing, imo. So i would not be for drinking alcohol in the training area, especially if we just finished training, the instructor is still representing the art in the role of teacher.

respectfully,
Marlon

Matt

Black Belt
Reaction score
there should be a clear separation btwn training and socializing, imo. So i would not be for drinking alcohol in the training area, especially if we just finished training, the instructor is still representing the art in the role of teacher.

respectfully,
Marlon

Just to clarify, I teach in Chris Hatch's dojo, and he has a clear 'no drinking or swearing' rule. I remember we were visiting another dojo and the owner of that dojo was describing a Christmas party with jello shots in that person's dojo, and we both thought it was perhaps a bad idea.

However, I know several other folks who feel differently and I guess it's the owner's prerogative.

OP
ackks10

ackks10

Purple Belt
Reaction score
i'm not talking about taking a little "rice wine" after a test,i just could not understand why someone would drink in the dojo, i just think it makes the whole martial arts way of life thing go right down the drain,i mean like the other person said,you don't swear in the dojo, no chewing gum while in class, but go ahead have a beer after class,yea ok but not in the damm, school,go to the the bar,in fact i remember a teacher that i had, after the school was closed, they all went over to the bar across the street, but i'm from the old school.:soapbox: it don't belong in the dojo, sorry

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
Just to clarify, I teach in Chris Hatch's dojo, and he has a clear 'no drinking or swearing' rule. I remember we were visiting another dojo and the owner of that dojo was describing a Christmas party with jello shots in that person's dojo, and we both thought it was perhaps a bad idea.

However, I know several other folks who feel differently and I guess it's the owner's prerogative.

Hey, I was at that party and there was a lot more than Jello-Shots being done.... I think i met my wife there..heehee. (no GM Elmer it was not my dojo) but, I used to have a hidden apt. at one of my schools that i lived in for awhile and a beer or 2 were consumed. Also - just so we know i am not a saint -- at the old school we would re-paint the dojo every year -- mostly adult students and parents and we would have a beer when the painting was done and i find no problem in that. There is a time and place for everything, just like i would not talk to or teach my younger students the same as adults. I do not have a problem with people doing whatever they want to do in there schools, it does not affect me or my traditions and if they are great teachers then all the better. I know people who straight up lie to there students to make themselves seem all holy but then go home and get wasted every night. I think that is worse then the honest person having a beer and showing people that moderation and responsibility are best. Way better then the fakes with double lives.

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score

respectfully,
Marlon

:asian: Yes, a subtle but important distinction.

Now if the instructor was in his office and it was after all training was done for the day, and done discreetly, then okay, not great, but less disturbing IMO. But even better -- I think instructors should disassociate their drinking from the dojo altogether. Teachers are called to higher responsibilities (and subject to a higher judgement) for a reason -- they leave an impression, esp. on the younger students.

jkembry

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes...during training I would have an issue with it. Condensation and spillage may happen and cause the floor to become slick...then it is a safety issue.

Now after training and after tests types of celebrations...no problem at all.

- Jeff -

Latest Discussions