Question

Paulie73

White Belt
Reaction score
I am currently studying Kenpo/Kosho and recently tested for rank. 1/2 of the test was all related to mma which the dojo does offer training in but I have no interest in. I know it has become very popular and a lot of centers are replacing their current curriculum with mma training, I just hope this ins't one of them. Anyone else out there experiencing this.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It seems odd that you wuold be tested on optional material that you had not trained in. So I guess the question is - did you pass?

And what is "mma" specifically? Were they teaching groundfighting? kick-boxing? or something else? "mma" is a sport, not a style.

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
If the school is amending their curriculum because they feel it will be helpful to their students , then embrace the training. If it is being done as a marketing tool then I would suggest finding another school. Curriculum for a certain style should not necessarily be altered. It can be supplemented however.

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
It seems odd that you wuold be tested on optional material that you had not trained in. So I guess the question is - did you pass?

And what is "mma" specifically? Were they teaching groundfighting? kick-boxing? or something else? "mma" is a sport, not a style.

Testing people on things they may not know makes a test more interesting. Reactions are reactions so throwing a curve ball can show if your students are getting the general idea of what your teaching or just mimicking your moves..

ackks10

Purple Belt
Reaction score
jump ship,:) fine another school,to use a phase from Chuck Berry

"its you life baby, live like you want to live" (my ding a ling) :uhyeah:

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Testing people on things they may not know makes a test more interesting. Reactions are reactions so throwing a curve ball can show if your students are getting the general idea of what your teaching or just mimicking your moves..

Sure, that's true, but ... if you offered a kendo class would you test all your students on kendo, even those that only did kempo?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am currently studying Kenpo/Kosho and recently tested for rank. 1/2 of the test was all related to mma which the dojo does offer training in but I have no interest in. I know it has become very popular and a lot of centers are replacing their current curriculum with mma training, I just hope this ins't one of them. Anyone else out there experiencing this.

Are you required to take the MMA portion? If so have you? I can't see testing someone on something that they don't know. On the other hand, its a no-brainer that MMA is a big thing. Many people are doing it, and I think that if self defense is a goal, that it'd be wise to have an understanding of how a MMAist operates, and if that means getting on the mat and doing some grappling, clinch work, etc., then I say do it. Keep in mind, that the focus should still be Kenpo, but the MMA aspect should be added in. Covering ground work, how to use your Kenpo on the ground, how to modify Kenpo techniques to better address a grappler...those are all key things IMHO.

As for leaving the school....well, that choice is really up to you.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes and I changed schools.
Sean

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sure, that's true, but ... if you offered a kendo class would you test all your students on kendo, even those that only did kempo?

Yes I would.***but,, I would stage the question properly so that the students who were actually thinking would understand the answer. There is one thing for sure, Kempo is a mutt system that can be related to just about any system out there if you have enough fun.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yes I would.***but,, I would stage the question properly so that the students who were actually thinking would understand the answer. There is one thing for sure, Kempo is a mutt system that can be related to just about any system out there if you have enough fun.

Might as well test them on underwater basket weaving and cross-country skiing too :p

ackks10

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Might as well test them on underwater basket weaving and cross-country skiing too :p

ROFLMAO
CARTOON_LAUGHING_GUYS.JPG
btw this is not me, but it will work, i have to say that what you said was funny:)

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score

If i could pull it off so it makes sense i will. What is the understanding of Kempo? trouble breaking that down to one answer? so does everyone else. If people want to throw their students a curve ball that makes them stronger after the test then they should. If i were to test my students just on the techniques i have taught them, then all I am doing is teaching them to be tracers -- not artists.. no thanks, I'll take the free thinking artists then the comic book tracers. Also, this is a general rant, when people make comments and then put (lol, :p, or icons) it does not take away the intent of the message just a way of trying not to piss others off with a bit of humor.

ackks10

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Jesse, i was just having fun,please i meant no disrespect,:idunno:

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
To expand on what I said earlier. If its something thats not in the system, can it still be added to make it more challenging? Sure, but is it fair to really judge them, pass/fail, if its something that they've never done? Example: If someone never picked up a bo staff, would it be fair to hand them one and expect them to execute offensive and defensive moves with it, and hold it against them if they don't perform well? IMO no. Now, if knife work is covered, and the student is familiar with the blade, would it be right to hand them a ball point pen and have them execute offensive and defensive moves with it? Sure. Its simply a shorter tool, but still holds some of the same applications.

Mike

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
Jesse, i was just having fun,please i meant no disrespect,:idunno:

GM Elmer, Thank you, but that was not at you it was at DaviddCC. The one thing that drives me nuts (DavidCC you are by far not the only one who does this) is people try to make a point and then put characters or smiley faces or LOL at the end as to try to diminish their point when in fact its more of a way of covering there tracks so they can go back later and say --- see look -- i put a smiley face i was just joking around. Much respects to you GM Elmer and everything you've done with your kenpo.

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
To expand on what I said earlier. If its something thats not in the system, can it still be added to make it more challenging? Sure, but is it fair to really judge them, pass/fail, if its something that they've never done? Example: If someone never picked up a bo staff, would it be fair to hand them one and expect them to execute offensive and defensive moves with it, and hold it against them if they don't perform well? IMO no. Now, if knife work is covered, and the student is familiar with the blade, would it be right to hand them a ball point pen and have them execute offensive and defensive moves with it? Sure. Its simply a shorter tool, but still holds some of the same applications.

Mike

I agree with you, it would not be a pass fail on the level of Kendo-more on the understanding of general movements of self defense. not profiency on the sword, bo or whatever. My students should understand me and vice versa - stress test is what some call it. If i were in a street fight and being attacked by multiple people and found something relative in size to a sword or a bo staff and never held one before i sure would pick it up anyways and fling it around as if i were a Jedi night thats for sure and i would expect the same from my students.

ackks10

Purple Belt
Reaction score
GM Elmer, Thank you, but that was not at you it was at DaviddCC. The one thing that drives me nuts (DavidCC you are by far not the only one who does this) is people try to make a point and then put characters or smiley faces or LOL at the end as to try to diminish their point when in fact its more of a way of covering there tracks so they can go back later and say --- see look -- i put a smiley face i was just joking around. Much respects to you GM Elmer and everything you've done with your kenpo.

:asian:

OP
P

Paulie73

White Belt
Reaction score
There were a lot of good points made and to answer some of the questions yes I did pass, and throughout the test they do throw a lot of curve balls to make sure the students are paying attention, like doing SD from both sides and even to perform some of the techniques from a higher rank who may be testing that day as well. I guess the best thing to do is remain open minded but my passion is still in Kosho.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
people try to make a point and then put characters or smiley faces or LOL at the end as to try to diminish their point when in fact its more of a way of covering there tracks so they can go back later and say --- see look -- i put a smiley face i was just joking around.

Actually, no.

the appropriate use of emoticons is to add non-verbal context to a completely textual medium.

So, :p means, my answer is tongue-in-cheek

"tongue-in-cheek (tŭng'ĭn-chēk')
adj. Meant or expressed ironically or facetiously"

I think it is very "net immature" to think one can, as a reader, identify the intent or tone of a forum post beyond the specific text - hence the use of emoticons.

So for example a smiling emoticon on an otherwise critical or harsh post should imply "I am saying this with a smile because I do like you and want you to understand that I mean this statement as constructive criticism and not as a personal attack."

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually, no.

the appropriate use of emoticons is to add non-verbal context to a completely textual medium.

So, :p means, my answer is tongue-in-cheek

"tongue-in-cheek (tŭng'ĭn-chēk')
adj. Meant or expressed ironically or facetiously"

I think it is very "net immature" to think one can, as a reader, identify the intent or tone of a forum post beyond the specific text - hence the use of emoticons.

So for example a smiling emoticon on an otherwise critical or harsh post should imply "I am saying this with a smile because I do like you and want you to understand that I mean this statement as constructive criticism and not as a personal attack."

"Net Immature" -- thats def. me -- probably why you have 1000 more posts than i do. I still stand by my point that people put those things to cover their butts. I remember long posts (not by you DavidCC) that people would be slamming others then put LOL -- it drove me insane because it was extremely insincere and we knew it. There are very few people on this internet that i know so i have no idea who i like. Acquintances many, friends few. I need a good hand shake and to look someone in the eyes before i can judge someone, and even then i have been mistaken. We will have to just disagree on testong. The head of your organization and the head of mine are different in everyway possible, I guess thats why you stay with him and I stay with mine. Mine will throw zingers just to make people think outside the box. One works for me an one works for you, that is what counts. If I can have fun and turn an underwater basket weaving course into some kindof self-defense then i will and all will learn. I have taken classes in water combat where the winner is the one not being drowned - maybe those basket classes wouldve helped me.
- Paulie73 - If you like your teacher and can handle a little bit of the MMA thrown in then stay, if it does not work leave. If you like him there should be no problem in finding out the reasoning why he wants you to learn a few things. A good instructor is very hard to come by now-a-days with credentials.

Latest Discussions