Do u like forms?

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was real confused for awhile there, too. I knew what my instructor told me at my first class there, but still with everyone else talking about theirs and TSD... We even have TSD people come and compete at our yearly tournament, because it's all so similar.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Have you checked out some of the pyung ahn application threads in the TSD forum? There is a lot of good stuff in those forms beyong just the looks. I'm glad you think they are fun. I think they are fun also. I like getting the jump on pyung ahn five as high as I can. I really feel a ton of hang time.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't get the jump very high, but I do go out kind of far. I do the same for pyung ahn #3 at the end. I did check out TSD forum- very cool.

Faye

Green Belt
Reaction score
tkdgirl said:
I don't get the jump very high, but I do go out kind of far. I do the same for pyung ahn #3 at the end. I did check out TSD forum- very cool.

There's a jump on pyung ahn 3??? what is that?

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
OMG!! I love the pyung forms. I don't do TSD anymore, but I do practice the forms still. Pyung ahn ee dan is my all time fav. Don't ask me why, but I love that form.

Anyways, yes, I do love forms. I'm a forms "geek." I like, next to pyung ahn ee dan, Taegeuk 7 and 8. 7 reminds me of pyung ahn sam dan a bit (bits and pieces of it anyways).

I agree that there's more to a form than just learning them for promotions. A form is like "story." there's so much behind each one, reguardless of style. I love picking each move apart and trying to figure out what each move is for. I do have some work to do, but it's been fun so far.

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Personally, I'm a big fan of forms. I feel that they are the heart and soul of a martial art. They are, however, only of serious benefit (i.e. more than just a cardio-dance) if one takes the time to understand them. As long as you seek to know "why is the side kick to the knee? What is the reaction gonna be? How does the next technique relate to the previous one?" and so on and so forth, then they are like a book that you can read and re-read over and over again. My two bits...

hong kong fooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
I myself really like my forms. and it's good to begins to go through at least once a day to get ready for your black belt. I have to know all my forms for my Brown belt testing so I am in the process of going through them everyday.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Practicing poomse is one of the best things I enjoy about training in Taekwondo. So far I've got the WTF's Taegeuks and Palgwes ingrained in my mind and body, and now I'm into the lower BB poomse (Koryo, Kumgang, Taebek, etc). Forms are such a good method of practicing all of our various TKD techniques. If one is really focused and concentrates on performing the forms properly, instead of just going through the motions, poomse can be a really good workout. It's also a great way to train if your training partners aren't around... :mst:

Faye

Green Belt
Reaction score
Speaking of forms, i'm just curious what other schools are like.. we have to do all the forms we've learned for the every rank test... do you just do your most current form, or all?

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We don't do ALL of them for testing, but you better know all of them, because you don't know which ones will be called. For my first gup test, I had to do 5 out of 7 Taegeuks (didn't know 8 yet ... or wasn't supposed to hehehehehe) out of order. I messed up Taegeuk 5 (don't know why, I like that form) and I had to do it over and nailed it on the second try and I still passed .... thank goodness.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Faye said:
Speaking of forms, i'm just curious what other schools are like.. we have to do all the forms we've learned for the every rank test... do you just do your most current form, or all?

I will have my students show them all. They also need to show an evolving understanding of the lower ranking forms.

allpet

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
After 12 years og TKD I HATED them!!! They almost made me sick. :barf: Started training other things. Then i met a Kenpo guy who was a former TKD & TSD stylist. He showed med some of the selfdefence applications of some of the odd movements. Made me laugh... :boing1:

Now I almost never train them but i train all the applications: Joint locks, throws and chokes etc.

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Faye said:

I was gonna ask this question next....lol

We only do the most current for belt testing but I know it will come back to haunt me b/c for BB I will have to know all of them.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I enjoy training in poomsae. I try to think about the meaning behind the form and the movements. I find performing poomsae is meditative for me.

As far as testing, there is a compulsory poomsae required for each rank (except for BBs) but I can ( and do :) request a prior poomsae to ensure that it is still practiced adequately. BBs must perform every poomsae through that which is required for their requested rank.

When we do poomsae in class, everyone does the lowest poomsae and we work through to the highest poomsae that the students know.

Miles

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I enjoy doing forms. Exercise, and loosening up. Also helping to look at the full art and to find those other techniques that you don't often think about.

Both the schools I've trained in required knowing all the forms up to you current rank for testing, not just your current one. This makes testing longer and harder as you go up.

Faye

Green Belt
Reaction score
FearlessFreep said:
I enjoy doing forms. Exercise, and loosening up. Also helping to look at the full art and to find those other techniques that you don't often think about.

Both the schools I've trained in required knowing all the forms up to you current rank for testing, not just your current one. This makes testing longer and harder as you go up.

Yes, our forms are done last (well, before sparring), and it is really really tiring to do all those for the test.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Faye said:
There's a jump on pyung ahn 3??? what is that?

I don't know if we're doing it slightly different (I know that does happen at times)- but it's placed at the very last move.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like forms. I like nitpicking my execution, and they also make good conditioning tools. Wish I had more room to actually practice them without compromises.

Latest Discussions