Do not use that technique!!

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi people. This is just a question to satisfy my curiosity, but that in the end can help you be realistic on your skills.
I don't want to enter the discassion of real fight already talked about milions of times, but the question is:

If you had to face a real fight, which one is the technique (if there is one) that you would never use? The reasons might be many, like you don't find it realible, too risky coz if you don't get it right will let your guard way too open to a counter, you think with your actual skill chances to pull out that technique are very low...and so on.

As a beginner I cannot answer to this question, because I still am not confident with none of my techniques hee hee.

Reaction score
Hi people. This is just a question to satisfy my curiosity, but that in the end can help you be realistic on your skills.
I don't want to enter the discassion of real fight already talked about milions of times, but the question is:

If you had to face a real fight, which one is the technique (if there is one) that you would never use? The reasons might be many, like you don't find it realible, too risky coz if you don't get it right will let your guard way too open to a counter, you think with your actual skill chances to pull out that technique are very low...and so on.

As a beginner I cannot answer to this question, because I still am not confident with none of my techniques hee hee.

mine would be any kind of spin kick, i just find them too impractical for a street fight. there are harder, faster and easier kicks id rather throw. even if they look totaly awesome :)

chris

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with Chris—no spinning or extra high kick of any kind.

I'd also probably never use a neck twist except in a genuine life and death situation. Too easy to kill or permanently paralyze your antagonist. But I would at least consider doing something like that if things were sufficiently grim, so maybe this is a bit outside the `absolute never' criterion you had in mind (?).

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
chris_มวยไทย;796584 said:
mine would be any kind of spin kick, i just find them too impractical for a street fight. there are harder, faster and easier kicks id rather throw. even if they look totaly awesome :)

chris

I agree with Chris—no spinning or extra high kick of any kind.

You both beat me to it! :) I've used them in sparring and there have been a few times when, as the other guy was rushing in, I got a spinning back kick off. Then there were those times when I telegraphed my move and ate some punches. Fine and dandy in sparring. We're all friends afterwards. :) However, if my life depended upon it, I'd avoid spinning kicks.

Mike

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Any kick above the waist. It is just to much of a risk of going to hard on the pavement. And to exile's point no neck region techniques. I also tend to try and avoid the eyes.

I don't mind breaking bones,they heal. If you mess wih stuff like the spinal area or with the eyes youare just asking for trouble. IMO.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In principle, I agree with everything that's been said, but we tend to fight the way we train and after you achieve a certain level of proficiency, you don't choose the techniques you use, they just happen.

There are several techiniques in the style I study that I just knew I'd never use, not in a million years, only to have them happen all by themselves, and quite effectively. Who knew:idunno:

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't mind breaking bones,they heal. If you mess wih stuff like the spinal area or with the eyes youare just asking for trouble. IMO.

It's not just the legal aspect, either. That could be bad enough. But one's conscience would probably be pretty traumatized if the assailant were blinded or rendered paraplegic in the course of the fight. Even if they brought it on themselves by an unprovoked violent attack, I'm pretty sure it would haunt me if I did that to someone...

qi-tah

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Any kick above the waist. It is just to much of a risk of going to hard on the pavement.

What he said.
icon7.gif
I have ducks' disease so any high kicks are impractical for me, to say the least.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
How about those ever popular "no touch knockouts"?

hehe

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In principle, I agree with everything that's been said, but we tend to fight the way we train and after you achieve a certain level of proficiency, you don't choose the techniques you use, they just happen.

There are several techiniques in the style I study that I just knew I'd never use, not in a million years, only to have them happen all by themselves, and quite effectively. Who knew:idunno:

There is that side of it, true....

hehe

Avert! Avert! :uhohh:

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score

hehe

Hey, I would use it if I could. I guess I just haven't had enough training yet. ;)

Along with the 'no touch knockout', I won't be using a spearhand. My fingers are too long and not strong enough. I'm 'fraid of snappin' the finners!

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Top of the list would be Soke Bruce Calkins favourite way to use a knife "Giving it to my attacker"

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Danger! Danger! Will Robinson!

Anything jumping and / or spinning. You simply don't have the time to carry out such a move, and the risks are too great, especially if you miss.

Also, if the fight is one where you could potentially face great bodily harm, then throwing any kind of technique at anything less than the best of your abilities is dangerous to yourself. If the situation is that dire, then you'd best do what's needed to survive the encounter, and deal with the consequences later.

Better to be judged by twelve, than to be carried by six, as the wise folks say...

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If the situation is that dire, then you'd best do what's needed to survive the encounter, and deal with the consequences later.

Better to be judged by twelve, than to be carried by six, as the wise folks say...

Most definitely. When you're life's on the line, all bets are off on ethical scruples. In that event, you'd best tell your conscience to go take a hike, and to consider, on its lonely walk, how much damage your death or permanent incapacitation would do to those who depend on you.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

hehe

That is my FIRST choice... followed by a well deserved pummeling :uhyeah:

I would never use any kind of jump kick as a matter of fact I doubt I would use any kick above the waist

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I study the same style that Morph studies and we have a saying in our style..."You don't choose the technique, you're attacker does by the attack he gives." As for which one I'd never use...with some of my luck it'd be the one technique that'd actually work.:)

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tiger mouth. It's used to grab an opponents throut. An idea I'd rather not think about at the moment. Not because it's too impracticle, but out of fear of useing it. I'd rather not basicly try to kill somebody.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would use the "no touch knockouts" but I am afraid that my opponent would not no they were being knocked out and they would just kick the crap out of me.

whitedragon_48

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
As was put by SGM Parker, there are 3 types of moves, useful, unuseful and useless. An useful move is self-explanatory, it works for the situation and the person. An unuseful move will not work well for a particular situation or person but might work better on another. An useless move will not work in any situation for anybody, it should be discarded.

Pretty much anything XMA is useless. Avoid.