Do not use that technique!!

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In principle, I agree with everything that's been said, but we tend to fight the way we train and after you achieve a certain level of proficiency, you don't choose the techniques you use, they just happen.

There are several techiniques in the style I study that I just knew I'd never use, not in a million years, only to have them happen all by themselves, and quite effectively. Who knew:idunno:

I study the same style that Morph studies and we have a saying in our style..."You don't choose the technique, you're attacker does by the attack he gives." As for which one I'd never use...with some of my luck it'd be the one technique that'd actually work.

These two nailed it, if you ask me. When I first read the question, my mind went immediately to this fact, you're asking me to think about what technique I wouldn't use in a real situation and the answer is, if I have to think about it, I should never use it. You can't take time to think in a fight, it needs to be reflex. That means you train with what works for you. If you are into looking like a kung fu movie while you spar, then you may be in serious trouble in a street altercation. It's survival mode, once the decision is made to throw down, don't think, let it happen.

whitetiger2001

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I would never use any kick above the knees or any kick that requires a spin or puts me in the air. They look good in sparring matches or movies but they're too easy to defeat in real fighting. Knee height and below are to hard to block and if you're spinning or in the air, your at the mercy of someone with real speed. Never underestimate the effect of a good solid shot to the shins. Save the pretty stuff for the another time

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This may be simplistic but I would not use those that I do not practice on a regular bases. Hich kicks are out, so are most spinning techniques as I hate to give up my back in a fight. It would depend on the fight and how many are involved, if weapons are showing, etc. but I never really think what I would not use but rather what I will use. Actualy I don't think in those times I just react

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i learned once, that the best chance of connecting a highkick or spinninghighkick is when the opponent rushes in just the instant where he is in range. ofcourse it is difficult to time such a strike, but if the timing is right, then all that's needed is for the kick to be aimed in the general direction of target. i mean precision is great but hitting somehow is still better than missing although the kick may become more uncontrolled and dangerous.

thing is when most people are trying the highkicks, the opponent is too far away and it is obviously virtually impossible to connect.
if some more powerful spinningjumpkicks were to connect, they could be potentially lethal..therefore it may be better to miss than to have to live with the knowledge of so lightheartedly injuring or killing someone.

j

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I would be comfortable kicking above the waist, but only to the point of a floating rib -- no higher at all! And then it's a simple kick like a side kick or a front kick. I would only spin if my opponent moves to get behind me, since footwork is a huge part of my strategy, but they're already behind me, it will be harder for them to see a spinning heel or back kick since it's covered by my body, and I'll be turning to face them anyways.

One thing I won't do is to "shoot" and try to tackle them to the ground. It's all fun on the mat, and If I do go down, I practice what to do, but I would never intentionally go to the ground. It's too unpredictable on the street. There's "found weapons" available (rocks, dropped keys/knives, etc.), curbs, concrete to bounce off of, and if you're outnumbered, you're screwed on the ground.

Plus, have you ever tried to wrestle against a wall, or a chain link fence? It's totally different than on a flat surface.

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ridgehand. I love it, it looks cool and has potential, there are just so many better, less risky techniques to use. I'm paranoid of breaking my fingers so most open handed strikes aren't an option I would normally consider. Granted a chop might fit where a hammerfist might not but I find that insignificant. Good old palm heel is one I keep in my surface repertoire but I have my moves vice versa, I jab with the palm heel and plant my punches full force. From what I've seen and heard, this is backwards. I have lucky fists and have never broken any fingers, carpals or metacarpals. Spearhand is right out for me.

megat

Orange Belt
Reaction score
deadly technique i guess, like the pucnh to the solar plexus, not just any punch cuz i have my thumbs sticking out, so it is like a deadly blow man. it would be bad if i accidently hurt someone just for an argument or sumtin trivial.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Only what is necessary, no more, no less! :) I don't think in terms of what I will use and what I will not. That locks you into just certain options. I believe you must remain free to move or escalate to whatever is necessary as the situation requires.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tiger mouth. It's used to grab an opponents throut. An idea I'd rather not think about at the moment. Not because it's too impracticle, but out of fear of useing it. I'd rather not basicly try to kill somebody.
I was, also, taught a death blow, but it was with the understanding that the whole idea is really a waste of time. when am I ever going to use it? If I were in a real situation where it might come in handy, I suppose it would be worth a try, but why use something you have never really perfected or played with in sparring? Would it even occur to me in the heat of battle to use an un-tested move? The arts have plenty of throat attacks which can easily cause a blood clot leading to an eventual death, why attempt an organ rupture with my special open handed kill shot against some monster who may or may not slap it away like a mosquito bite? I have to assume he will.
Sean

PS on a side note, a local Martial arts instructor recently ripped some guys throat out in a bar with a simple grab and pull... He walked.

megat

Orange Belt
Reaction score
well lot's of MA are created during a time that killing is a must, so death blow are normal at that time. but as time goes by MA purposes change. besides usually the master teach death blows to a selet few who can understand the danger or maybe control it or as a precaution because u need to know the move in order to couter it right.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
well lot's of MA are created during a time that killing is a must, so death blow are normal at that time. but as time goes by MA purposes change. besides usually the master teach death blows to a selet few who can understand the danger or maybe control it or as a precaution because u need to know the move in order to couter it right.
Not exactly. The delivery still follows the basic priciples of motion we all know and love.:)
Sean

INDYFIGHTER

Purple Belt
Reaction score
A fish hook!!! Learned this one the hard way a few weeks ago when I almost lost my finger!!!
icon9.gif

Shotochem

Purple Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Ridgehand. I love it, it looks cool and has potential, there are just so many better, less risky techniques to use. I'm paranoid of breaking my fingers so most open handed strikes aren't an option I would normally consider. Granted a chop might fit where a hammerfist might not but I find that insignificant. Good old palm heel is one I keep in my surface repertoire but I have my moves vice versa, I jab with the palm heel and plant my punches full force. From what I've seen and heard, this is backwards. I have lucky fists and have never broken any fingers, carpals or metacarpals. Spearhand is right out for me.

I seem to be just the opposite. I have no fear or hesitation with the ridge hand but I am still a little squeemish about really using the spearhand. It just dosn't feel right for me.

-Marc-

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Some guys can do a spearhand harder than I can punch. One slight misalignment of the hand though...
Ura Tetsui Uchi (Inverted hammerfist) is my preferred alternative to a ridgehand. I prefer nakataka ippon-ken zuki (one middle knuckle punch) to a nukite (spearhand). I'm just paranoid with my fingers extended. That and I've invested a lot of conditioning into my fists, so they're usually better suited for impact.

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
I am with everyone else who has said no spinning techniques.

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob

Latest Discussions