Do koryu teachers generally accept students from X-kan Ninjutsu?

kuoshu

White Belt
Reaction score
On another thread, I mentioned how it it is my opinion that koryu teachers won't take students who have a background in Ninjutsu. However, I may be basing my opinion on a fairly narrow set of experiences, so can I ask if this is a general thing or not?I was personally turned away from a koryu kenjutsu school in Europe back in 2001 or thereabouts. They were very polite and said they had to ask the headmaster in Japan. They eventually got back to me and told me politely but firmly "No". I didn't have any tattoos, didn't have a criminal record, no drug use, no links to Al-Qaeda, nothing like that. They politely told me my application was declined and I would have to give up Ninjutsu if I wanted to reapply.In addition, I know of quite a senior Shidoshi in England who was turned away from the Toda Ha Buko Ryu. He went to Japan in person to apply, but was still refused. He was also not accepted by the Araki Ryu. It may or may not have been Ellis Amdur's teacher that he asked. I can't say for sure.Then there was a Bujinkan person in the USA I know of. He tried to enter the Yagyu Ryu Kenjutsu under Meik Skoss in the USA. He was told no.I also have heard (but I am willing to be corrected as it is 2nd hand) that Master Otake of Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto Ryu will not accept students with a X-kan background.Now maybe these are all isolated instances and not representative of the wider koryu teachers. I cannot say for sure.Has anyone had experiences with this?

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know of one school that had bad experiences with Bujinkan members and won't take any more.. I personally know three people in Japan that study with Koryu. I have trained with four groups in various settings myself. I know of koryu groups that associate with people like Shoto Tanemura and Masaaki Hatsumi.

Every post you make on martialtalk shows one constant agenda.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don, there are a couple more schools out there where certain over zealous individuals have burned bridges for everyone else.

Strange how you guys in that part of the world use something close to English, but with different nuances.

Instead of "over zealous," the term I would use would be "Complete morons."

That seems to be the only problem Bujinkan members have with the Koryu I have encountered. The big things the arts I have come in contact with were concerned with was if I was commited to stay in Japan for a period of time that was enough to learn something. And being able to speak the language got me a lot better treatment. Most Bujinkan folks just do not fit those qualifications. And quite a few seem to have no brains at all. I recall one guy (who BTW does Koryu as well as Bujinkan) from a European nation that I got into a friendly contest with. We both tried to out do the other by having the story of the stupidest acts done by a Bujinkan member of our country in Japan. "Oh, you think that is stupid- check out what someone from my country did...."

And people wonder why I complain so much about people who come to Japan to train.

Oh, and as just an aside, the number of people I gave was confined to just those non-Japanese living in Japan. AFAIK, none of the Japanese have had a problem. I know of a few that have Koryu experience and train at the same time. Of course, some arts in Japan will only allow you to train with them. You can't train in anything else if you train with them. That would be a barrier.

Latest Discussions