Do karate schools in the US not teach dirty fighting any more or do you have to move to Japan?

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I hear karate schools in US no longer teach dirty fighting like hitting the persons knees, hitting the persons balls, head twisting,knee strikes to person head, gauging out eyes, choke holds, poking or squeezing eyes, strike to throat, taking your elbow and hitting the person head, holds and chokes so on.

That to get this you have to move to Japan or find a Okinawan type Karate school in US.

I know many Karate schools out side of Japan in the US no longer teach take downs, throws and holds.

That karate schools in US are for kids and teens now and sport schools and tournaments not self defense.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I hear karate schools in US no longer teach dirty fighting like hitting the persons knees, hitting the persons balls, head twisting,knee strikes to person head, gauging out eyes, choke holds, poking or squeezing eyes, strike to throat, taking your elbow and hitting the person head, holds and chokes so on.

That to get this you have to move to Japan or find a Okinawan type Karate school in US.

I know many Karate schools out side of Japan in the US no longer teach take downs, throws and holds.

That karate schools in US are for kids and teens now and sport schools and tournaments not self defense.
First of all, if the guy you are fighting knows how to fight your extreme tactics aren't going to help you. You must match or work around his timing with real training of the basics. Secondly, look around a little more. You will find exactly what you are asking for locally. :)

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just to make things perfectly clear:

No. There is absolutely no truth to the idea that Karate dojos in the U.S., as a whole, do not teach strikes to the groin, knees, throat, etc.

You can doubtless find individual schools that only focus on tournament-legal techniques, but I don't know whether there are a higher-percentage of such schools in the U.S. than Japan. In any case, it's certainly not a universal practice.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Dirty fighting? Ive never heard that term in my goju class however strikes like some of those you mention are used. I know saifa kata (goju ryu) uses a groin strike and seisan(goju ryu) uses strike to throat. And also seiyunchin (goju ryu) uses elbow strikes.

MatsumuraKarate

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Okinawan Karate is a lot less popular than its Japanese counterpart. I personally practice and teach these "dirty" fighting techniques. In my eyes there is no such thing as "dirty" fighting. I don't believe in physical violence unless it is your last option. At that point you are fighting for survival and I will go to any measure to make sure I make it home to my family over my opponent. I train in the same manner, sparring is fun, but it doesn't teach all the essential parts you need for actual combat. As a result I put more emphasis on developing my body to deliver small surface strikes as opposed to using my fists.

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Just to make things perfectly clear:

No. There is absolutely no truth to the idea that Karate dojos in the U.S., as a whole, do not teach strikes to the groin, knees, throat, etc.

You can doubtless find individual schools that only focus on tournament-legal techniques, but I don't know whether there are a higher-percentage of such schools in the U.S. than Japan. In any case, it's certainly not a universal practice.

I wonder if Krav Maga emphasizes more dirty fighting like hitting the persons knees, hitting the persons balls, head twisting,knee strikes to person head, gauging out eyes, choke holds, poking or squeezing eyes, strike to throat, taking your elbow and hitting the person head, holds and chokes so on than say karate.

Or is it the family friendly karate schools for kids and teens and the sports and tournament that the problem. And if one found self defense karate school for adults you learn all that?

Or is not a emphasizes like Krav Maga?

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Look up the various kenpo schools, very much a "dirty fighting karate" if that is what you are looking for. Perhaps an overemphasis on everything you seem to be looking for.

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Look up the various kenpo schools, very much a "dirty fighting karate" if that is what you are looking for. Perhaps an overemphasis on everything you seem to be looking for.

Blindside yes from what I read Kenpo karate comes a bit more closer than other karate in how the human body was built to fight.

Fancy high kicks ,spinning kicks,jumping kicks, karate hard stances is not something natural people are born with or genetic instinct on evolution in this is how we fight.

The fancy high kicks, spinning kicks, jumping kicks so on look awesome but it only work if the attacker is not in close range.

So if the attacker is coming after you than you have short time to execute it and if the attacker does not go down and get in close range at that point you have to use hand strike than kick.

Many of the Kenpo karate kicking is kicks below the face. Mostly kicks to chest, stomach and balls.

Where other karate is really big on kicks to face and throat. Lots of round kicks,high kicks ,spinning kicks,jumping kicks so on.

The Kenpo karate stances is bit more natural than the other karate stances that have hard stances.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Blindside yes from what I read Kenpo karate comes a bit more closer than other karate in how the human body was built to fight.

Fancy high kicks ,spinning kicks,jumping kicks, karate hard stances is not something natural people are born with or genetic instinct on evolution in this is how we fight.

The fancy high kicks, spinning kicks, jumping kicks so on look awesome but it only work if the attacker is not in close range.

So if the attacker is coming after you than you have short time to execute it and if the attacker does not go down and get in close range at that point you have to use hand strike than kick.

Many of the Kenpo karate kicking is kicks below the face. Mostly kicks to chest, stomach and balls.

Where other karate is really big on kicks to face and throat. Lots of round kicks,high kicks ,spinning kicks,jumping kicks so on.

The Kenpo karate stances is bit more natural than the other karate stances that have hard stances.
Chest height kicks are new.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So what is wrong that Kenpo karate have kicks to the chest?

And in 5 years from now they add high kicks to the person face or spinning kicks?
Everything, and nothing. The techniques didn't start out that way, but I've been told those guys were just terrible kickers, and just lacked the training needed, to pull them off. I, however, believe differently. It is just your point of view or mine. Nobody has to be right. :)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So anyways, I will use simple math to describe the dilemma. Let's say you want to be fast, and you have a "Chain" of moves you want to perform. Now, does swapping out faster moves with slower, more powerful ones, make that chain any faster?

EddieCyrax

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Not sure what you have read about Kempo, but it does contain much of what you say it doesnt have. In addition, a spinning back kick can be a close ranged attack. The target is lower the closer your attacker is. I assure you a spinning back kick to the groin can be pulled off at very close range to devastating effect. (Youtube Chuck Lindell...He specificly discusses this at one of his seminars)

Granted Kempo is a balanced art and combines equal hand/foot strikes. Kempo is about using the right tools at the appropriate timing/spacing. (As are most MAs) This said, my instructor can knock your head clean off your shoulders with a round-house kick at surprisingly close range.

Last edited:
OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Everything, and nothing. The techniques didn't start out that way, but I've been told those guys were just terrible kickers, and just lacked the training needed, to pull them off. I, however, believe differently. It is just your point of view or mine. Nobody has to be right. :)

Okay I thought by adding in high kicks, spinning kicks, jumping kicks and other fancy kicks it would make it Kenpo karate less efficient. Why because like you said Kenpo karate was for people not good at kicking.

And by adding this into it that it would make Kenpo karate less efficient.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Okay I thought by adding in high kicks, spinning kicks, jumping kicks and other fancy kicks it would make it Kenpo karate less efficient. Why because like you said Kenpo karate was for people not good at kicking.

And by adding this into it that it would make Kenpo karate less efficient.
I was pointing out that kickers think that, but not me.

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I was pointing out that kickers think that, but not me.

So you feel for Kenpo karate to be more efficient there should be no high kicks, spinning kicks, jumping kicks and other fancy kicks?

That the high kicks, spinning kicks, jumping kicks and other fancy kicks make Kenpo karate less efficient. And the two do not go well together.

EddieCyrax

Blue Belt
Reaction score
not sure exactly where you are going with efficiency....

Kempo has high, spinning, and jump kicks within it. Obviously there is a risk reward balance with some moves, especially on the street.

Key is to know and understand you situation then act accordingly...

Many of the advanced kicks also build flexibility, body mechanics, and control. These are good training tools, but not always best for the street.

Can I ask....what style/MA do you train in?