Distance learning

shane23ss said:
I looked at Mr Tatum's website. I didn't really see where any test were mentioned. Do you have any further info on that?
Shoot him an email or give him a call. He could elaborate best.

Cheers,

Jamie Seabrook
www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

Seabrook said:
First, be sure to get involved with a top notch program - there's way too many programs which will literally hand you a black belt if you pay the money up front (just check out ebay if you don't believe me).

Jamie,

I have to ask...Do you consider Mr. Spry's video system to be top notch? I know you skipped 4th and got your 5th Black from him (based on your book), and participated in his Hall of Fame program. For whatever reason his name doesn't appear on your website anymore.

I suppose the next question is where the loyalty in video training? As far as the next rank, or until one can collect $39.95 to start buying the next series.

My final thought is this...

I'm all for people being exposed to good Kenpo instruction (i.e. Mr. Tatum's tapes, Mr. Planas' tapes), but at the point that it is ONLY for convenience sake, because someone doesn't want to have to travel or go out of their way (make a phone call, get a contact, set up a local seminar, take a weekend trip), then I say screw it. Take up TKD, there's one right down the street (no matter where you live) and it will be easy, just the way you like it.

jb

jbkenpo said:
Take up TKD, there's one right down the street (no matter where you live) and it will be easy, just the way you like it.

jb

To assume that all Kenpo distance learning programs are "easy" is an assumption not based in fact.

Respects,
Bill Parsons
Triangle Kenpo Institute

jbkenpo said:
Jamie,

I have to ask...Do you consider Mr. Spry's video system to be top notch? I know you skipped 4th and got your 5th Black from him (based on your book), and participated in his Hall of Fame program. For whatever reason his name doesn't appear on your website anymore.

I suppose the next question is where the loyalty in video training? As far as the next rank, or until one can collect $39.95 to start buying the next series.

I'm all for people being exposed to good Kenpo instruction (i.e. Mr. Tatum's tapes, Mr. Planas' tapes), but at the point that it is ONLY for convenience sake, because someone doesn't want to have to travel or go out of their way (make a phone call, get a contact, set up a local seminar, take a weekend trip), then I say screw it. Take up TKD, there's one right down the street (no matter where you live) and it will be easy, just the way you like it.

jb
Hi, I just received Jamie's new book on PDF and I noticed that he shows
Steve Spry as one of his teachers.

I have just received the material, I was not aware that you could not print it so you could read it in a more comfortable location than in front of your computer...

I am not so sure, Jamie... But I thought you could get it in a book so it could be read and used to help you accomplish acts of violence at the dojo...

Regards, Gary

There will always be problems with those trained in a dojo and those trained via distance learning.

Being the pusedo philsopher that I am lol. I think it maybe in part that those trained in a "traditional" can not understand that many people live in out of the way places and we do not have the honor of living in major cities in larger states where you can pick up a local phone book and look at list and list of Martial Art Schools. Why should someone like myself be forced to say "Oh well forget it!" When I like something I will find a way to study that is reasonable.

Now it is even more restricted when you are looking for a specific Martial Art such as Kenpo. Now for myself I would be a the local Kenpo School every night and if possible during the day on my days off. I do not have the luxury of having such a school in my area.

So the next best thing is Distance learning and getting a group of people to study with you and train and test. And if possible travel to your Kenpo Instructor at least monthly or quarterly.

Sincerely,
Mark E. Weiser

Here's something interesting to read regarding what can be learned:

"Wheelchair Coach ‘Kicks It’ In The NFL"

He's never played a down of football. But, he’s the kicking coach for the Miami Dolphins.

I’m Bill McCartney… It’s 4TH and Goal!

Like so many boys, Doug Blevins dreamed of being a football hero, but cerebral palsy denied this dream. Stuck in a wheelchair, but with ferocious determination, Blevins set his sights on a different dream.

"I knew I'd never play a down," Blevins said. "But I was set on this goal, making it to the National Football League.

He reviewed football guides. He filled notebooks during televised games. He attended coaching camps and obsessively reviewed replays. And, after spending a lifetime studying the game, Blevins is now one of the world's foremost authorities on kicking a football.

After earning a football coaching scholarship from the University of Tennessee, Blevins formed his own consulting company. He named it "Championship Placekicking & Punting". And, his reputation grew quickly.

In a game that often comes down to special teams, he became an asset. Before long, NFL teams were calling for his expertise. And, the Miami Dolphins hired him as their kicking coach.

Blevins says that he has “a little cerebral palsy,” and refuses to use a disability sticker in his car. He operates under this simple life philosophy, “If you stop accomplishing, you stagnate.”

Guys, I think it’s time we apply Blevins’ philosophy to our relationships. Accomplishing means that we initiate reconciliation when we’ve hurt our wives. Accomplishing means that we don't let bad blood fester between us and a co-worker.

It means that we learn to humble ourselves, in order to save relationships. Accomplishing means that we don't allow ourselves to slack off when it comes to serving others. If we stop accomplishing, we will stagnate – and so will our relationships.

Doug Blevins has done what many thought impossible. If we're willing to challenge ourselves in our relationships, we too are capable of amazing things.

This guy never kicked a football and yet is a highly regarded football kicking coach. There was a full article on him in the LA Times Superbowl Sunday. He learned through watching and listening. Now, if that can be done, what can be accomplished through video training? It seems to me that the answer is a LOT. Now, I will never say that it equals live training, and training with a partner(s), but it still poses an intriguing question eh?

bdparsons said:
To assume that all Kenpo distance learning programs are "easy" is an assumption not based in fact.

Respects,
Bill Parsons
Triangle Kenpo Institute

sigh...

I was referring primarily to ease of access. But based on what I already know, and how I'm used to executing techniques, it definitely would not be "easy" for me to learn IKCA material...So your absolutely correct.

jb

p.s. I have access to all of their curriculum tapes, so if I'm missing something let me know what tape it's on. I do like the sparring tapes....

jbkenpo said:
sigh...

I was referring primarily to ease of access. But based on what I already know, and how I'm used to executing techniques, it definitely would not be "easy" for me to learn IKCA material...So your absolutely correct.

jb

p.s. I have access to all of their curriculum tapes, so if I'm missing something let me know what tape it's on. I do like the sparring tapes....

Now I think I'm missing something... what do mean what tape "it's" on? I was speaking of the entire course, not a particular item. Glad you enjoyed the freestyle tapes, great material. Truly a resource you can return to again and again.

Respects,
Bill Parsons
Triangle Kenpo Institute

jbkenpo said:
Jamie,

jb
I don't think his videos are good at all. The one's I ordered - I have all sold on ebay.

I got my 4th black from Spry in 1997 and my 5th from him in 1999. I have since moved on to Larry Tatum - and got my 6th from him last year. I was a WKKA member with Joe Palanzo in the mid 1990s but left for personal reasons, although I still like and respect him and his top black belts. Sounds like a lot of jumping - but understand Jason, I needed to to do and find what was best for me. I have found it in Larry tatum.

As for the loyalty question - I don't agree with the way Spry has moved his Kenpo. He has changed so much of it, doesn't require all of the techniques, and calls himself a Grandmaster. I don't have to be loyal to people who become money-hungry and that change their programs for a quick rank.

Jamie Seabrook

Seabrook said:
I don't think his videos are good at all. The one's I ordered - I have all sold on ebay.

I got my 4th black from Spry in 1997 and my 5th from him in 1999. I have since moved on to Larry Tatum - and got my 6th from him last year. I was a WKKA member with Joe Palanzo in the mid 1990s but left for personal reasons, although I still like and respect him and his top black belts. Sounds like a lot of jumping - but understand Jason, I needed to to do and find what was best for me. I have found it in Larry tatum.

As for the loyalty question - I don't agree with the way Spry has moved his Kenpo. He has changed so much of it, doesn't require all of the techniques, and calls himself a Grandmaster. I don't have to be loyal to people who become money-hungry and that change their programs for a quick rank.

Jamie Seabrook

Damn Jaimie! That took cojones. I don't know Mr. Spry but I admire your honesty in stating your opinion.

On another note, I also studied under Mr. Palanzo in the late '80's. Some of his guys are awesome!

Well today I attended a 2 hour class at a Larry Tatum Association School. Here is what I learned today.

First I have to say that I learned more in this two hour class with this 7th Dan Black Belt in Kenpo in person that I have in the 4 years or more I have watched Videos and Dvds.

I will tell you why. The finer details of Kenpo can not be explained on a video or dvd. These details are the minor details which need to be corrected such as turning a palm inward during a technique and the variables of these techniques are different in person than on a Video and these minor problems will get you hurt in Combat and at Tournaments. You have to see Kenpo in person for all this to sink in!

The immeadate feedback is priceless with the Instructor standing there and watching you work. The monthly fee is a small price to pay and the Hour to drive to the school and the other expenses are not even considered when learning Kenpo.

The Instructor and I had some things to work out such as the finer points of foot placement the exact placements of checks in Stances the fine tuning in Forms and Sets and the why of doing so.

As someone that has study Kenpo strictly via the Video Medium and I told the Sensi to start me out at White Belt so I can be corrected in the basics of Kenpo. Let me tell you there was a lot to be corrected LOL!!

I will always use the videos as a reference library but after attending the School and seeing Kenpo in person is a whole different world! I for one would never again do distance studies again. I am hooked lol I have taken down the Certs off the wall to clear them for the other Certs I will be receiving at this School.

Sinerely,
Mark E. Weiser

Mark:

Congratulations on your excellent experience. Having had the experience in person, it is my sincerest hope that you are able to review the previous posts by persons such as myself, with a renewed understanding of our perspective(s). I have personally taken deep offense to those wearing kenpo black belts who have NOT gone through the course of rigorous corrective instruction, being ridden for the minutae that matters so much.

The subtleties ARE the art, and without the immediate feedback for solid basics, a house built on video is a house of sand.

Enjoy your journey,

Dave

Mark Weiser said:
I for one would never again do distance studies again. I am hooked lol I have taken down the Certs off the wall to clear them for the other Certs I will be receiving at this School.

Sinerely,
Mark E. Weiser

All that and you don't even mention the guy's name? Or where exactly you drove too? Are you talking about Walter Justice in KC?

I'll be home in a couple of months and I might be able to catch up with ya and check ya out.

jb

Yes, there are a lot of specifics that can only be explained by a live instructor. Sure, you may have a general idea as how to execute a certain move, or kick for example, but there are little detailed things that are so important such as how to position your foot or in your case palm correctly, that why you may execute the move as the video tells you, you may also end up hurting yourself. Nothing like a live instructor. If you have no choice I say buy videos for referrences, but I have absolutely very little faith in distance learning and certainly none in ranking.

Mark Weiser said:
Well today I attended a 2 hour class at a Larry Tatum Association School. Here is what I learned today.

First I have to say that I learned more in this two hour class with this 7th Dan Black Belt in Kenpo in person that I have in the 4 years or more I have watched Videos and Dvds.

I will tell you why. The finer details of Kenpo can not be explained on a video or dvd. These details are the minor details which need to be corrected such as turning a palm inward during a technique and the variables of these techniques are different in person than on a Video and these minor problems will get you hurt in Combat and at Tournaments. You have to see Kenpo in person for all this to sink in!

The immeadate feedback is priceless with the Instructor standing there and watching you work. The monthly fee is a small price to pay and the Hour to drive to the school and the other expenses are not even considered when learning Kenpo.

The Instructor and I had some things to work out such as the finer points of foot placement the exact placements of checks in Stances the fine tuning in Forms and Sets and the why of doing so.

As someone that has study Kenpo strictly via the Video Medium and I told the Sensi to start me out at White Belt so I can be corrected in the basics of Kenpo. Let me tell you there was a lot to be corrected LOL!!

I will always use the videos as a reference library but after attending the School and seeing Kenpo in person is a whole different world! I for one would never again do distance studies again. I am hooked lol I have taken down the Certs off the wall to clear them for the other Certs I will be receiving at this School.

Sinerely,
Mark E. Weiser
You know back when I was in undergraduate I had a buddy of mine who was a pre-med student. I always wondered why the hell he wanted to partake in such a long career. My friend replied by simply stating: time will pass no matter what I do, 7 years will pass whether I become an MD or not, so why not do it. I am glad you found an instructor, and know this you have taken your first step, time will pass and you will get your black belt. I really do admire your sincerity and your ambition Mark, and I have no doubts that you will make black belt eventually.

Hey JB that is Whom I studied with. He just got promoted to 7th Dan within the last month. I hope to see you there.

Mark Weiser said:
Well now the troops have assembled and circled the wagon train LOL!

Since I live in a Town that has no Kenpo Schools. The only way even to get a glimpse of Kenpo is via video. Now I will try to address the questions.
  1. Give up forget about it.
  2. Move to a town or state with an Instructor
  3. Travel large amount of miles and expense in addition to the study cost.
  4. Find a Kenpo Instructor that is willing to travel to teach or move to your hometown.
  5. Video Studies.

Mark: You live in a state with Kenpo Karate instructors, including one in your home town and several that aren't very far away at all.
Try these out: http://www.kenponet.com/studionet/kansas.html
OR: You could always come by my school. I'd be glad to have you show up.
www.geocities.com/hsokenpokarate

You aren't alone. NO...there's not LOTS of Kenpo in our state, but we are working on that!!!!
The future is BRIGHT..

Your Brother
John

Never mind Mark.
In reading further I found that you are working with Mr. Justice.

Glad to see you are beyond JUST video. ENJOY!!!...and Drop Sweat Daily.

Your Brother
John

I think that your attitude is really great!! About your new experinece and your old experiences. Rock on

Latest Discussions

Back