Free chapter from my latest Kenpo book

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I have agreed to allow a Canadian martial arts website to post chapter 1 from my latest book, "American Kenpo Mastery: A Guide for Students and Instructors."

The chapter covers the history and evolution of American Kenpo Karate. The book is available as an e-book for $15 Cdn (about $12 U.S.) or as a hard copy for $20 Cdn. The e-book allows you to pay through paypal, visa, ect.

To view the chapter, please go to:

http://sportkaratecanada.com/American_kenpo_mastery.htm

Kind Regards,

Jamie Seabrook
http://seabrook.gotkenpo.com/

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi,

Jamie is that your take on the History??? I am going to get the book, I have got to read it...What is interesting is the lack of certain players. But it is about American Kenpo...Which is Mr. Edmund K. Parker.

Regards, Gary

OP
Seabrook

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi Gary,

Feel free to shoot me an email and I would be happy to discuss any elements of the book or chapter with you.

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Seabrook wrote:
"American Kenpo Karate has many traces of kung fu, karate, boxing, aikido, judo, and jiu-jitsu but is uniquely different from all of them."

"Some people today argue that Adriano Emperado also created his own system of martial arts. This was not the case. What Emperado did was blend several different arts into his Chinese Kenpo background, which later became the basis for Kajukenbo. In other words, Master Emperado utilized many of the training methods taught by William Chow, but expanded upon them by cross training in other styles. By contrast, Ed Parker restructured the entire system he had originally learned, instead of just blending several different arts. He did this by redefining the methods of execution of his basic fundamentals as well as organizing and creating a new curriculum in a systematized manner."

I don't think I agree with this exactly. You're saying that Emperado didn't reorganize and create a new curriculum? That Kajukenbo is not a new martial art, but that American Kenpo is? I don't think that the Karate, Boxing, Jujutsu, Kenpo etc. were left intact without modification. At least it doesn't look that way to me.

Respectfully,

Dan

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, History is good. Changes are better. What will it be tomorrow? Will it be different again,....history usually repeats itself......What is the true Kenpo,Kempo? .......didn't all arts come from one source and change to be different? and things become same again? Watch a real fight....it is all the same? Names can change,styles can change, forms can change....but real fighting never will change....? ......."Boy" what am I saying?.....too much for me......Aloha

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi Mr. Seabrook,

I bought the e-book a couple of weeks ago and am busy working my way through it, but for what it's worth, in my humble opinion, it makes an excellent addition to my growing collection.:asian:

OP
Seabrook

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi Dan,

No I am not denying that Emperado created a new curriculum. What I am saying, however, is that he did this by incorporating several different styles into his primary art, which was Chinese Kenpo.

For example, let's say I decided to create a new curriculum. Since EPAK is my primary art, let's say that I decide to implement various aspects from other arts that I have a black belt in (namely, Kung Fu, Modern Arnis, and Shorinji-Ryu Karate). Although I may change the names, targets, weapons, ect. of much of my base system (EPAK), I have not created a new system, but rather a new curriculum.

Ed Parker, on the other hand, restructured the ENTIRE system he learned from William Chow, instead of just blending several different arts into what he had already learned from Chow.

Hope this helps.

Jamie Seabrook
http://www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

OP
Seabrook

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
SIMONCURRAN said:
Hi Mr. Seabrook,
SIMONCURRAN said:
I bought the e-book a couple of weeks ago and am busy working my way through it, but for what it's worth, in my humble opinion, it makes an excellent addition to my growing collection.:asian:

Hi Simon,

I am new to MartialTalk so I am trying to figure out how to highlight someone's quote. Hopefully, this works.

In any case, thanks for the compliment. By the way, I love your signature line.

Jamie Seabrook

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Seabrook said:
Hi Simon,

I am new to MartialTalk so I am trying to figure out how to highlight someone's quote. Hopefully, this works.

In any case, thanks for the compliment. By the way, I love your signature line.

Jamie Seabrook
The quote thingy works...
As regards the sig, it takes me back to my first lesson...

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Seabrook said:
Hi Dan,

No I am not denying that Emperado created a new curriculum. What I am saying, however, is that he did this by incorporating several different styles into his primary art, which was Chinese Kenpo.

For example, let's say I decided to create a new curriculum. Since EPAK is my primary art, let's say that I decide to implement various aspects from other arts that I have a black belt in (namely, Kung Fu, Modern Arnis, and Shorinji-Ryu Karate). Although I may change the names, targets, weapons, ect. of much of my base system (EPAK), I have not created a new system, but rather a new curriculum.

Ed Parker, on the other hand, restructured the ENTIRE system he learned from William Chow, instead of just blending several different arts into what he had already learned from Chow.

Hope this helps.

Jamie Seabrook
http://www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com
It seems a bit like semantics to argue that either way. How much would someone have to change something in order to call it a new "system" instead of a new "curriculum"?

bayonet

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The AK system is a beautiful art of motion and within that motion lies a wealth of knowledge that is almost hard to comprehend. Anyone who seriously trains in AK can attest to this. I have been at it for only 5 years and have training partners who are BB's in TKD and they are amazed at the wealth of information in AK. In fact, just the yellow belt curriculum alone has made these gentlemen better practicioners of TKD, according to them. GM Hee Il Cho has taken heat from the Korean community in the past for introducing boxing into his TKD curriculum. Mr. Cho wants his students to be well rounded and be able to use their hands as well as their feet. No argument there. When any of us can kick the stuffing OUT of an Everlast bag, please post it. I probably ventured off of the subject but what the heck.

Peace.

Latest Discussions