Dissapointed in Wing Chun

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
wingchunner said:
I challenge you, DeLamar.J, to try my teacher's school in Cleveland. I'm sure you won't be disappointed with his Wing Chun. His website is:
www.immortalpalm.com

Good luck.

Marty
i took on the challenge and i went to the website. Man i'm tough!!

(please don't take offence i'm just playing around)

V

Van Kuen

If I could chime in here as well about the adding and changing of styles, the wing chun of yesterday was evolving just as it is today. Things like the pole were added later, and even movements like gaan sau did not exist orginally and was added later in the system. Just food for thought. Even the "classical" styles evolved. The main thing is to keep the theories and cores intact and not to totally disembowl the art when making modifications.

A

ajvdarwin

Wing Chun is not for sparring it's for the real thing. Sparring is done under controlled conditions, no kicking to the knees groin etc.

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
ajvdarwin said:
Wing Chun is not for sparring it's for the real thing. Sparring is done under controlled conditions, no kicking to the knees groin etc.
I agree, thats what makes wing chun so effective, just kicking some butt!

A

Aleem

Hey I'm new to WingTsun and new to the forums... new to martial arts in general.

I was wondering how much of an opportunity I'll get at applying techniques which can be potentially effective. What I mean is that, I can picture myself sparring (I have never sparred) but not getting the opportunity to use WingTsun movements and principles... ; a kick to the knee for example... suppose it came to the real thing, is it sufficient to learn such kicks without being able to practice them on a real moving target?

I'm really excited about my WingTsun classes that are coming up next term (at university) but I was wondering how others practice things like their kicks, without being able to fully apply them due to their potentially injurous nature.

Does ^ that make sense? I'm sorry, I'm not the best at expressing myself accurately.

Thanks

Aleem

DarrenJew

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I also want to add... that it depends upon what your Sifu teaches... I've seen a form of Wing Chun that looks more like Tai Chi, the movents slow and flowing.

The move similar yet different than the ones I learned when I was young.

Now that the Internet is active we are able to view how other schools teach their own version, many Martial Arts systems, not just Wing Chun. When I was young I only knew what my Sifu's taught me. Know that Im older and whith the help of the internet I've gained a much more opened mind on how diverse a system could be. Where as before.... one could easily say... They made that up, they are just milking money from there students, not really knowing the system, just because it did not match the way I learned it. Know I know that teaching a martial arts system can lead to re-interpretation, and overtime it can evolve into totally different. As many different lineages over the centuries, diversity with a system can be nothing but expected.

Keep an open mind, maybe that Wing Chun Instructor does not fit your style, I recommend to look elsewere, I've found Wing Chun to be a very effective fighting system. Unfortunately I've had to use it in some practical applications, and it does work!

Good luck on your journey. May you live in interesting times.

DarrenJew

Orange Belt
Reaction score
DeLamar.J said:
I have found a Wing Chun teacher, and I must say I am impressed. I was trapped, battle punched, and many other things that I dont know the term for yet but they didnt feel to good. It was almost like he knew what I was going to do before I did it, and at the end I was all wore out and he was not even the slightest bit tired. He said it was because I was trying to muscle him to much and was not relaxing, I would come in strong, then he would loose sensitivity and roll into me with punches, using my force to wind up his own punches. I was very tired at the end.
I felt like I have missed out on this training my whole life, I also kind of felt like I wasted all my life training in karate when I should have been in Wing Chun.
I am glad DeLamar finally found a Wing Chun Teacher that he respected. Now I believe he see's what many of us see in this art of Wing Chun and why it is so special to many of us.
(note: I do believe in diversity; Karate teaches great discipline and perseverance as well as self defense, it does bring out a lot of confidence in its disciples. Though I favor Wing Chun, I don't believe in discouraging other systems. After all many Martial Art systems have been around for hundreds of years and have withstood the test of time. They may verywell and probably will be here a lot longer than any of us.)

A

Angelusmortis

I've just started 4 weeks ago, from what I've seen of it, I'm quite impressed. My sifu constantly repeats the need for realistic attacks (strength and intent etc..), combined with (in the kwoon) control. I come home covered in bruises, and thoroughly enjoy it too...(must be the masochist in me...) My opinion is also that styles either suit you or not, and while not putting down regular boxing at all, getting thumped in the head and growing cauliflower ears ain't my idea of a fun time... that said, there is a tremendous amount of validity in it. My preference is for wing chun. I've done ju-jitsu, and boxing in the RN. The comment made about the first time you get a smack in the mouth is soooo true to.. Happened to me in boxing training, first thump, my legs were like bambi on ice...! Good lesson there, try not to get hit???

A good sifu, the right style, and a reasonable level of fitness and a certain element of "realism" are invaluable. I seriously recommend a book called "3 second fighter" by Geoff Thompson. Good stuff...

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Angelusmortis said:
I've just started 4 weeks ago, from what I've seen of it, I'm quite impressed. My sifu constantly repeats the need for realistic attacks (strength and intent etc..), combined with (in the kwoon) control. I come home covered in bruises, and thoroughly enjoy it too...(must be the masochist in me...) My opinion is also that styles either suit you or not, and while not putting down regular boxing at all, getting thumped in the head and growing cauliflower ears ain't my idea of a fun time... that said, there is a tremendous amount of validity in it. My preference is for wing chun. I've done ju-jitsu, and boxing in the RN. The comment made about the first time you get a smack in the mouth is soooo true to.. Happened to me in boxing training, first thump, my legs were like bambi on ice...! Good lesson there, try not to get hit???

A good sifu, the right style, and a reasonable level of fitness and a certain element of "realism" are invaluable. I seriously recommend a book called "3 second fighter" by Geoff Thompson. Good stuff...
I'm in total agreement with you about the smack in the mouth thing, whatever you thought you were going to do goes to the dogs when it happens, but I kinda (I did say kinda) disagree with you as regards Western boxing, yes getting regularly thumped in the head is definatley not a good thing, but until a person is used to getting a belting they are never going to know how they would or wouldn't react, and anyone can say that the idea is not to get hit, but the truth is, in a real altercation, people aren't waiting to square off and the bell to ring, they are intent on ringing each others bells, and if a person is used to getting hit then thay have a better chance of turning things around than the person who as never been hit by a real punch.
Just my opinion, not a criticism.

A

Angelusmortis

A fair point well made mate, I just don't like being smacked in the mouth too often :), so if I can, I avoid...lol. I've taken enough to know that even with the best of intentions and plans, getting a punch in the swede is enough to just cause as much surprise as anything else...The book I referred to "3 second fighter" sings the praises of pre-emptive striking, it's remarkably well written, and utterly open minded which is something that can be pretty lacking in MA across the spectrum I sometimes find....just my opinion...Well worth the read.

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Angelusmortis said:
A fair point well made mate, I just don't like being smacked in the mouth too often :), so if I can, I avoid...lol. I've taken enough to know that even with the best of intentions and plans, getting a punch in the swede is enough to just cause as much surprise as anything else...The book I referred to "3 second fighter" sings the praises of pre-emptive striking, it's remarkably well written, and utterly open minded which is something that can be pretty lacking in MA across the spectrum I sometimes find....just my opinion...Well worth the read.
I will keep my eyes open for the book, thanks.

bcbernam777

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Part of the problem with Wing Chun, modern Wing chun is that a great deal of its students, even 2-3 generations from Yip Man tend to subsitute strength as opposed to usage of the structure, it is a difficult thing to learn because we are so strength orientated, if you use muscular strength in Wing Chun it will not work period. You maybe able to become a good fighter in the short term but in the longer term you will not progress, and become effective. This is the problem therefore with WC McDojo's, they teach primaraly strength based Wing Chun as opposed to structure based Wing Chun.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
bcbernam777 said:
Part of the problem with Wing Chun, modern Wing chun is that a great deal of its students, even 2-3 generations from Yip Man tend to subsitute strength as opposed to usage of the structure, it is a difficult thing to learn because we are so strength orientated, if you use muscular strength in Wing Chun it will not work period. You maybe able to become a good fighter in the short term but in the longer term you will not progress, and become effective. This is the problem therefore with WC McDojo's, they teach primaraly strength based Wing Chun as opposed to structure based Wing Chun.
Good post, I agree 100%

7sm

A

Angelusmortis

Think I'm probably lucky as to my WC school. Good mix of a lot of things, emphasis on good technique, hard hitting, bit of pad work (occasionally) and training with a variety of partners to prevent familiarity with one person, and their accompanying size/ability etc etc...Agreed, good point about the technique over strength too. Technique every time in any MA...IMHO...

OneWhoKnowsNothing

White Belt
Reaction score
Dear people from MartialTalk.com,
Gentlemen: I come to, with absolute determination, to understand where to find a good teacher. I come to you now, lost, in knowing what a good teacher is, and, or the place to begin looking for such a person. I'm a boy of 14, with a great passion for the Martial Arts, and would like to find a good teacher, to guild me, to be the very best i could ever believe to be. I started at a Karate school, about a year ago, and recently, have come to the conclusion, after many hours of research on the internet, that what that school was missing,...was a sense of Philosophy, and theory, realism, and complete respect. I'm greatly upset about that fact. I'm considering now to leave the school, in search of one that will teach all of the fundementals of Martial Arts, and to be absultely the best i can be. I've come across this forum, and while i was reading, i found a website of a school, the website was called ImmortalPalm.com. I've read up on this school, and it seems to be quite good,..the teachers seem to be quite amazing as well. If anyone could give me their opinoins about this school, i would greatly appreciate it. I just do not want to make the same mistake, that i have in the past.
Thank you all very much for you time and cooperation,
-OneWhoKnowsNothing

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
OneWhoKnowsNothing said:
Gentlemen: I come to, with absolute determination, to understand where to find a good teacher. I come to you now, lost, in knowing what a good teacher is, and, or the place to begin looking for such a person. I'm a boy of 14, with a great passion for the Martial Arts, and would like to find a good teacher, to guild me, to be the very best i could ever believe to be. I started at a Karate school, about a year ago, and recently, have come to the conclusion, after many hours of research on the internet, that what that school was missing,...was a sense of Philosophy, and theory, realism, and complete respect. I'm greatly upset about that fact. I'm considering now to leave the school, in search of one that will teach all of the fundementals of Martial Arts, and to be absultely the best i can be. I've come across this forum, and while i was reading, i found a website of a school, the website was called ImmortalPalm.com. I've read up on this school, and it seems to be quite good,..the teachers seem to be quite amazing as well. If anyone could give me their opinoins about this school, i would greatly appreciate it. I just do not want to make the same mistake, that i have in the past.
Thank you all very much for you time and cooperation,
-OneWhoKnowsNothing

Can a moderator split this into its own thread??? It doesn't really fit here.

Thanks,

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
OneWhoKnowsNothing said:
Gentlemen: I come to, with absolute determination, to understand where to find a good teacher. I come to you now, lost, in knowing what a good teacher is, and, or the place to begin looking for such a person. I'm a boy of 14, with a great passion for the Martial Arts, and would like to find a good teacher, to guild me, to be the very best i could ever believe to be. I started at a Karate school, about a year ago, and recently, have come to the conclusion, after many hours of research on the internet, that what that school was missing,...was a sense of Philosophy, and theory, realism, and complete respect.

My first thought is that all martial art teachers are human and that most instructors won't have all that you want to idealize in the martial arts. The Immortal Palm folks might be fantastic, I haven't a clue, but realize that this is just an organization made up of multiple styles and instructors. One instructor might be great while the others can't tie their shoes.

I think you have your goals set very high, and thats commendable, but I suspect your high expectations will lead to some disappointment along the way. Good luck in your search, if you give us an area where you are looking for instructor perhaps members on the board can give some advice.

Lamont

Latest Discussions