Disarming a Gun

SKB

Green Belt
Reaction score
I agree the first thing is to get out from infront of the little hole in the front of the weapon!!!! The rounds only come out of one spot!!! What bothered me and has not been talked about yet is some of the people on these videos appear to have limited exsperiance handling weapons. Look how they handle them once the weapon is taken away. Most LEOs are trainined by people like the video showing the cop with a gun pointed at him.
"Golly just reach on out here and take the gun from the idiot!" You would realy be surprized if you knew how little and how low quality the training LEOs get. more time is spent on diversity training and computer security!!!

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Just my $0.02 on the "getting burned or cut by the slide" thing...

After hearing this for a long time, I decided to give it a try. While at the range I grabbed the slide (part of my hand ended up being over the ejection port). After checking to ensure that no part of my hand was in front of the muzzle, I fired a round downrange. I tried this with a Glock 19 9mm, a Glock 23 .40 S&W, and a Colt Government Model 1911 in .45 acp.
Using what I guess I would call "firm handshake pressure" I did not sustain any burns or cuts from any of the weapons. I would only estimate about 1/8" of slide travel on any of the weapons. This was obviously not enough to cycle the action or eject the spent case.

Well that's good to know! Thanks for taking the risk for the rest of us!

So . . . end result -- one shot fired, no burns, no cuts, and you'd have to manually cycle the slide to get another shot off. Sounds like a worthwhile risk to me -- I retract my former comments.

Latest Discussions