Direction of Knot on Belt

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Wow, I can't say I've ever thought about which way the "open" side of the knot faces. That seems very nit-picky. As long as it's tied so the the "tails" are fairly even in length and the belt's not twisted up or tangled with the uniform top, I think it's really fine.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wow, I can't say I've ever thought about which way the "open" side of the knot faces. That seems very nit-picky. As long as it's tied so the the "tails" are fairly even in length and the belt's not twisted up or tangled with the uniform top, I think it's really fine.
It is nitpicky, but it's also something that's pretty easy to control. If it is an expectation at a school, I don't imagine it would cause too many problems unless people were careless or defiant.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That seems very nit-picky.
Welcome to the world of MA! 😉

The Japanese martial arts adopted this militaristic approach to teaching, with rigid line ups, barked commands, overbearing discipline and strict dress codes, around the beginning of the 20th century when nationalism and the fostering of the rising identity as Samurai and all their supposed attributes - a class they had abolished only 30 years earlier! Before this, classes were more informal, with students dotted around the training area (space and safety allowing) and the teacher walking amongst them correcting, advising. The Japanese (and Koreans) are, by nature and culture, polite nations so the behaviour of students in these old classes might appear disciplined and rigid compared to a Western sports class etc but that’s just their normal polite behaviour and I think it’s nice!

When I see video clips of Western martial arts teachers behaving like drill sergeants, I internally role my eyes.🙄

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Some place more importance on the meaning of the term "Uniform" as it applies to how students are clothed than others.