different styles of jujitsu

mrilovesundaes

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm been looking to join into the world of jujitsu ( sorry for the spelling since there's a million ways to spell it if im wrong), but im having a real tough time trying to figure out whats the differences between styles.

i've googled so many forums and topics..we have

-traditional jjj
-eizan jj
-danzan jj
-budoshin jj
-tenko ..somthing-ma-bob jj
-daitojj
-quantum jj
- and of course a bunch of other jj's out there

there's so many so how do i know which is what..or which is better?is there something that traditional jjj lacks that modernized jj offers? or vice versa? or which of the modernized is beneficial..and i'm not interested in sparring with spearheads and staffs and swords so whatever spearhead jj is out there, no thanks.

Also, how do i know if the jujitsu is certified and not just some small mom-n-pop shop the average joe opened up?

please help anyone! i'll pay you back in cookies and love

MarkBarlow

Purple Belt
Reaction score
While I have a problem with instructors inventing a history or lineage for the martial art they teach, if they are honest about their background, I don't care if it's koryu, gendai, traditional-based, hybrid, etc., as long as it is effective and the students benefit from the training they receive.

If you have a dojo or style in mind, first go observe a class, than actually get out on the mat and try it out. Talk to the sensei, the students, parents of students, etc. and get a feel for the focus and the environment.

If sensei is portrayed as Hachiman incarnate and he expects to be treated as such, move on. If every other sentence is a condemnation of every other dojo in town, give it a pass. If the only purpose of class seems to be covering the mat with testosterone and blood, try the next dojo.

When you come across a dojo with students who cooperate and train with the purpose of improving themselves and helping others grow, when you've got an instructor who doesn't baby you but also doesn't pound on you just to pass the time, when it's close enough to visit regularly and the tuition is within your means and you see the benefit in training with that dojo and it that style...sign up.

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Most style of Jujutsu are very similar. they all emphasis some of the same things and may teach them not in the same order or exactly the same way. Most style of Jujutsu will teach you:
joint locking
chokes
throws
ground techniques
self defense techniques
weapon techniques
counter techniques

I would find a jujutsu school close by and visit them. It doesn't do you any good to want to study ABC Jujutsu if it's 1000 miles away from you. I hope this helps.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This may be a long post due to the context of the subject.
but im having a real tough time trying to figure out whats the differences between styles.

Jujutsu is a catch all term used. There are 2 areas one is known as Koryu and the other is known as Gendai. Koryu are schools before 1868 and Gendai are schools after 1868.

traditional jjj
-eizan jj
-danzan jj
-budoshin jj
-tenko ..somthing-ma-bob jj
-daitojj
-quantum jj
- and of course a bunch of other jj's out there
There are quite alot of Jujutsu ryuha(schools) both Koryu(old/classic school) and Gendai(new/modern) this is true both in and out of Japan.

Lets look at some of the schools mentioned:
Eizan Jujutsu: I believe this is a Gendai school the Kenjutsu is put together by Felix Berrios Jr. As stated here:
http://www.blogger.com/profile/16236963397101164549

Danzan Jujutsu:Gendai school based on a mixture of schools like Yoshin ryu and other jujutsu school as found here:
http://www.danzan.com/HTML/history.html#early

Budoshin Jujutsu: Gendai school. It is suppose to be from Judo as the founder is suppose to have studied under Kano as well as his father's system but who really knows.

Tenko Jujutsu:I have no idea I have to see Kanji

Daito ryu Jujutsu/Aikijujutsu: http://www.koryu.com/guide/daito.html

Quantum Jujutsu: Gendai school. Yoga mixed with Jujutsu I guess.

there's so many so how do i know which is what..or which is better?
Which is best for you and your goals. Each ryuha usually has its own characteristic and depending on your goals depends on if it matches for you. There really is no one more superior to another but in certain situations one may be more suited and one may be more tailored to your fitting.

is there something that traditional jjj lacks that modernized jj offers? or vice versa?
Some say the Koryu schools lack the randori or aliveness as found in Judo and Gendai jujutsu. Others say Modern jujutsu schools lack the mannerism and customs as found in Koryu. Again this goes back to what you are looking for.

or which of the modernized is beneficial..and i'm not interested in sparring with spearheads and staffs and swords so whatever spearhead jj is out there
All are benefical. It depends what you are looking for in your training. My gripe is when American schools use Japanese names to make them sound more Japanese legit.

Also, how do i know if the jujitsu is certified and not just some small mom-n-pop shop the average joe opened up?
Ask his rank,his teacher and you can usually have it verified by others who study jujutsu.
Ask more questions so we can guide you to what you are looking for.

OP
M

mrilovesundaes

White Belt
Reaction score
wow. thanks a lot guys for the responses.

hopefully my addition to this post will help you guys help myself figure out which jujitsu is what i am looking for.

i think the deal breaker FOR ME in finding which jujutsu works is whether it involves kicks. apparently, most of the jujutsus dont really involve kicks, and mainly just striking + grappling+ throws+ chokes, + joint locks, ground work..etc etc..unless im wrong, which please correct me.

iIN any case, IF jujutsu is all relatively similar, then why are there so many different styles?? i know i dont want to practice bjj because i'm not looking to emphasize only on that..nor am i interested in judo, because i dont want to just throw. what style of jujutsu can cover everything that i mentioned plus kicking + even some self defense tactics with weapons? -- ie knives, guns, bottles.

even if danzan, eizan, kyokushin, bushido ..what have you..WHAT makes each one stand out differently from the other? what makes it better? is danzan more..striking ?...is eizan more..grappling?..is kyokushin more..kicking.?

btu definitely thanks to all of you guys for the advice. i think most importantly if i can figure out THIS first question, then I'd have to make sure the dojo i visit isnt some out of the alleyway fabricated place. I hear some good advice is to take a look at the retention rates of students...see how the instructor works with the beginners...see his certification? any other tips?

THANKs EVERYONE

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
i think the deal breaker FOR ME in finding which jujutsu works is whether it involves kicks. apparently, most of the jujutsus dont really involve kicks, and mainly just striking + grappling+ throws+ chokes, + joint locks, ground work..etc etc..unless im wrong, which please correct me.
Kicks do exist.

iIN any case, IF jujutsu is all relatively similar, then why are there so many different styles??
Everyone has their own way of doing things which leads to people creating styles.

what style of jujutsu can cover everything that i mentioned plus kicking + even some self defense tactics with weapons?
Koryu jujutsu or an American based Gendai school like Miyama or any other jujutsu school that does not focus on groundwork.

even if danzan, eizan, kyokushin, bushido ..what have you..WHAT makes each one stand out differently from the other? what makes it better? is danzan more..striking ?...is eizan more..grappling?..is kyokushin more..kicking.?
Depends on the school. Eizan's site seems to come off as an Aikido type flavor. Danzan is a mixture of things. Kyokushin is a branch of Karate with a judo flavor and some other mixtures and not jujutsu.

You would have to visit the schools and watch classes and speak to the teacher.

Last edited by a moderator:

J Ellis

Green Belt
Reaction score
Certain styles of Jujutsu incorporate kicks. I first learned how to kick to the head in Barlow Sensei's Akayama dojo.

You throw them on the ground, then kick them in the head. ;)

Joel

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We kick in our style of Jujutsu. Lot of striking has been taken out so only grappling is done in many types of Jujutsu. Traditional Jujutsu will have have strikes and kicks. Good luck in finding the right Jujutsu for you.

OP
M

mrilovesundaes

White Belt
Reaction score
hey guys.

ah so i finally got a chance to check out two of the jujutsu's that i mentioned and really wanted to share some of the experiences i went through.

i used to practice karate when i was a kid, but i rememeber the dojo being really big. why are all the places that i'e visited in the city so small? is new york city locations really that limiting?

in any case, so i took a lot of everyones advices and decided to speak to the students and the teachers themselves. i even took advice about taking a look at the teachers certifications, the way the classes were constructed...here's what i've found and people, feel free to let me know if i should just start running away.

a.) the kyokushin dojo that i visited happened to be on the day they were practicing judo. buteven so, i took a look at the their judo schedule, and apparently they mesh little kids with the adults. i donno whether it was for practice, but i definitely wasnt impressed at little 5 yr olds trying to do randori with brown belt 30 yr olds.

the instructor would observe from the corner...and it looked really sloppy. now please let me know if thats normal because maybe im jus not used to things being so random and free style ish....two people trying to grab each others gi..no offense, but it really had no structure at all...it was literally just going at it..trying to grab and throw. i do that stuff with friends for free.

i was thoroughly NOT impressed, but i will be visiting again tomororw for their kyokushin jujutsu schedule, just hoping that the jujutsu class will be different. i will update though.

b.) danzan

i checked out the danzan jujutsu and spoke to the sensei about whats the diferent between danzan..and kyokushin? he and his students were talking about kyokushin but i had no idea the difference and pretty much he told me that kyokushin does a lot of striking, similar to boxing type strikes, and low end body kicks..nothing to the head apparently.

is this true? he said danzan jujutsu focuses more on joint locks and ground work...submission..etc etc..not much on striking.. throwing and joint locks.

i was disappointed.

...so here it is my fellow martial artists. i'm really not trying to be difficult here, but i'm trying to do as much research, and checking each place out before i invest my time and money/effort into a dojo. if anyone can gear me towards where i want to go, it would be really helpful. either inform me of what type of jujutsu i sohuld be looking at..or even jujutsu at all and like something else like karate... =/

im gonna research more of the names of the stuff mentioned above.like miyodama or whatever that is and like other american based gendai schools(?) but in any case,

is there any form of jujutsu that that does striking like boxing...maybe a style of jujutsu that allows for boxing type punches...and i mean combo punches...+ grappling/throwing + and low to mid kicks. Thats really what im looking for...the joint locks and ground work is cool, but it's not a priority. i seem to be finding everything else but no punches and kicks.

i'd love to hear more of everyones thoughts on this one and please feel free to comment and advise..i'll be checking more places out if you suggest more.

i just want a place thats well rounded..

thanks guys.

OP
M

mrilovesundaes

White Belt
Reaction score
CORRECTION guys..it wasnt a kyokushin jujutsu...it was a kokushi jujutsu?

mah bads peoples!

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
the instructor would observe from the corner...and it looked really sloppy. now please let me know if thats normal because maybe im jus not used to things being so random and free style ish....two people trying to grab each others gi..no offense, but it really had no structure at all...it was literally just going at it..trying to grab and throw. i do that stuff with friends for free.
I have no idea if they were engaging in Randori or what.
It could be the teacher is not good at Judo who knows. If you found it to be sloppy and not your liking it may be not for you.

is this true? he said danzan jujutsu focuses more on joint locks and ground work...submission..etc etc..not much on striking.. throwing and joint locks.
Because Kyokushin is Karate with some other mixture. Danzan is Jujutsu with some other mixture.
is there any form of jujutsu that that does striking like boxing...maybe a style of jujutsu that allows for boxing type punches...and i mean combo punches...+ grappling/throwing + and low to mid kicks
I am sure there is some Goshinjutsu(self defense) or Gendai jujutsu that does. I think a MMA school fits the bill of Western style boxing with Muay Thai kicks and BJJ for grappling.

CORRECTION guys..it wasnt a kyokushin jujutsu...it was a kokushi jujutsu?
I don't understand Kokushi jujutsu. Why create a Gendai school with Koryu jujutsu concepts why not uh just train in a Koryu jujutsu school!!

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Realistically, you can only train or study in the systems that are available to you. That means limiting your research to what is available in your neighbourhood, that you can walk, drive or take public transportation to.

You may have an interest in a particular style or teacher, but if you are on the east coast, and the style is only taught on the west coast, you won't have much chance of doing serious training in that style.

Find something close that covers most of what you want, or think you want. If you have no experience in the martial arts, you may find your "requirements" for an art change as you develop experience. If not, stick with one art long enough to master the basics(black belt level) before you start adding elements of other arts into your base system. If you are serious about martial arts, it is a long journey, if you're not, it's a long journey, you'll just stop earlier along the way.

Kajowaraku

Green Belt
Reaction score
You could consider checking out Genbukan / Kokusai Jujutsu. It involves locks, kicks, punches, throws,... and later on you can also take weapon training (bo, hanbo, tanto, ...) It's very demanding, but also very rewarding.

In the NY area there are 3 dojo's you could check out. No idea how close you are to those though.

http://www.nijidojo.com/Flash_Index.swf

call or E-mail for Address
Brooklyn, NY
Telephone:9178362257
Email:[email protected]

another one at:
326 Cypress St.
Massapequa Park, NY 11762

Telephone: 516-238-8158

and one more at:
Croton on Hudson, NY 10520
Telephone:(914) 564-9807

Jose Garrido

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If you are still interested in Daito-ryu as one of the arts that you are looking at, you are welcomed to try an intro class in Daito-ryu Aikijujutsu, the mainline tradition. If interested contact me at [email protected]

Jose Garrido

Latest Discussions